FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. Read our full terms and conditions here.
Do you consume gelatin regularly? I do and there are many reasons why. Gelatin is one of those over-looked super foods that we all should be eating more of.
If there is one food that all real foodies can agree on, it’s going to be gelatin. I first learned about the health benefits of gelatin in the book Nourishing Traditions. Even though I had grown up eating a real food diet, I never really knew why gelatin was so good for us until I read this book.
Gelatin has a number of health benefits:
- Supports and promotes healthy skin, hair, and nails growth.
- An easily assimilable source of collagen, which helps support skin elasticity.
- Supports bones and joint mobility and helping improve joint recovery when injured.
- Helps improve aid in digestion.
- Helps heal the gut lining for those suffering from leaky gut.
- Great source of a wide range of amino acids (18 in total).
- Helps fight inflammation, due to the amino acid glycine.
- Great source of easily digested protein (great for exercise recovery).
- Can help promote better sleep, due to the amino acid glycine.
- Can help calm and soothe nerves and anxiety, due to the amino acid glycine.
- Can help stop bleeding from wounds both internally and externally.
When it comes to gelatin, quality is of the utmost importance. The very best way to consume more gelatin is to simply drink homemade bone broth or eat soups and sauces made from this bone broth.
Canned and boxed broths are going to have very little gelatin in them and are quite often filled with other unsavory ingredients. I recommend staying away from store-bought broth unless absolutely necessary.
Important Note On Gelatin Types
When it comes to gelatin, you don’t want any old gelatin off the supermarket shelves. You want to look for 100% grass-fed gelatin from healthy animals. Just like other animal products, quality is important.
That is why I recommend Vital Proteins Grass-Fed Gelatin products and Perfect Supplements products exclusively. I have compared these brand with other brands on the market and the quality far surpasses anything else I’ve tried. I am thrilled to be one of their affiliate partners and support such great products and companies.
Perfect Supplements offers a grass-fed hydrolyzed collagen (cold-soluble) right now and has a gelatin (hot-soluble) in the works for 2016. Read my review of their product here or watch the video below. You can order their own products via their own site here or on Amazon here.
- Forget the Botox! Drink Bone Broth for Amazing Skin from Hollywood Homestead
- How to Never Need Collagen Injections from Divine Health
- How to Sneak Extra Nutrition (i.e. gelatin) into Your Kids from Divine Health
And, for even more info on gelatin, I LOVE this book from my friend and affiliate partner, Sylvie of The Hollywood Homestead — The Gelatin Secret: The Surprising Superfood that Transforms Your Health and Beauty. She dives into all of the benefits of gelatin, how it improves our health (especially bone, joint, brain, skin, dental, and gut health), plus she offers some tasty recipes too!
All in all, gelatin is just downright good for us to eat, so let’s eat more of it!
Easy Ways to Add more Gelatin to Your Diet
Like I mentioned above, the best source of gelatin is going to be in your homemade bone broths. But, it’s always handy to keep a jar of gelatin powder on hand for times when you may not have homemade broth to eat (despite my best efforts, I do run out from time to time), or when you just want to add a little boost of nutrition to your food.
Right off the top of my head, here are some super simple ways to add more gelatin to your diet. Scan through these and then check out all the recipe ideas below!
- Add gelatin to your smoothies for a protein boost.
- Add gelatin to your coffee or tea.
- Use gelatin to make tasty snacks and desserts.
- Sprinkle some gelatin over your soups and stews.
- Add gelatin to your sauces and gravies.
80 Delicious Ways to Eat More Gelatin
Consuming gelatin through your food is the best way to incorporate more into your diet. I eat soup every single day for lunch. I make that soup with my homemade bone broth and my body craves it. Since I am working on healing my leaky gut, I am trying to get gelatin into my diet in more ways that just soup and now, I am armed with all these delicious recipes to try!
Beverages & Smoothies
- Cinnamon Vanilla Herbal Coffee from Delicious Obsessions
- Coffee with a Gelatin Boost from A Girl Worth Saving
- Dairy-Free Peppermint White Hot Chocolate from Delicious Obsessions
- Peppermint White Hot Chocolate from Loving Our Guts
- Hot Cocoa from The Detox Diva
- Creamy Coconut Avocado Smoothie from Delicious Obsessions
- Peach Tea & Banana Iced Latte from Raia’s Recipes
- Strawberry Watermelon Slushee from Delicious Obsessions
- Coconut Berry Smoothie from Divine Health
- Orange and Green Smoothie from Delicious Obsessions
- Dark Cherry Cacao Kiss Smoothie from Divine Health
- Chocolate Banana Shake from Delicious Obsessions
- Strawberry Banana Spinach Smoothie from Real Food Outlaws
- Real Food Protein Smoothie from Daily Bites Blog
- Liquid Lullaby Sleep Tonic from Real Food Girl Unmodified
Desserts & Snacks
- Strawberry Panna Cotta from Intentionally Domestic
- Pumpkin Panna Cotta (dairy free) from Rubies and Radishes
- Peppermint Mocha Pots de Creme from Happy Healthnut
- Almond Gelatin (Easy Chinese Dessert) from The Real Food Guide
- Cranberry Mint Mousse from Happy Healthnut
- Paleo Horchata “Jello” from Cinnamon Eats
- Raspberry Coconut Milk Gelatin from Well Fed Homestead
- Lemon Gelatin (sugar free option) from Loving Our Guts
- Watermellon “Jello” from A Girl Worth Saving
- Homemade “Jello” Gelatin (sugar from option) from Whole New Mom
- Berry “Jello” from Whole Lifestyle Nutrition
- Paleo Strawberry “Jello” from Rubies and Radishes
- Homemade Grape “Jello” from Girl Meets Nourishment
- Superfood Chocolate Pudding Cups from Health Starts in the Kitchen
- Healthy Gummy Candies (sugar free) from Whole New Mom
- Pumpkin Pie Gummy Candies from Raia’s Recipes
- Real Food Gummy Candies from Find Your Balance Health
- Sour Gummy Stars from Mommypotamus
- Healthy Gummies for Cold, Flu and Sleep from Real Food RN
- Healthy Sour Kiwi Gummies from Happy Healthnut
- Orange-Lemon “Jello” Stars from Girl Meets Nourishment
- Kombucha Gummy Bears from Health Starts in the Kitchen
- Kombucha Jello from GNOWFGLINS
- Kombucha Fruit Gummies from Real Food RN
- Booch-ello: Kombucha Gelatin from Divine Health
- Homemade NOT “Jell-O” Snacks from The Curious Coconut
- Apple “Night-Night” Gummies from Grassfed Mama
- Paleo Orange Gummy Bears from Hollywood Homestead
- Homemade Vitamin C Gummies from Eat.Play.Love…More
- Elderberry Gummy Snacks from Natural Living Mamma
- Strawberry Lemonade Gummy Bears from Hollywood Homestead
- Gut-Healing Herbal Tea Gummies from Cinnamon Eats
- Homemade Lemon Gummy Bears from Hollywood Homestead
- Homemade Gummy Worms from Oh Lardy
- Fruit & Veggie Gummy Snacks from Live Simply
- Watermelon Jello from Paleo Gone Sassy
- Easy Strawberry Fruit Snacks from Raia’s Recipes
- Homemade Orange Jello from Hollywood Homestead
- Orange Cream Jigglers from Girl Meets Nourishment
- Healthy Homemade Fruit Snacks from Body Unburdened
- Whipped Coconut Pudding from Whole New Mom
- Homemade Marshmallows from Whole New Mom
- Strawberry Lemonade Popsicles from Loving Our Guts
- Grain-Free Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from Girl Meets Nourishment
- No-Bake Pumpkin Pie from Raia’s Recipes
- Chocolate Coconut Mousse from Eat.Play.Love…More
- Chocolate Custard from GNOWFGLINS
- Banana Coconut Pudding from The Humbled Homemaker
- Kefir & Fruit Gelatin Dessert from Real Food RN
- Lemon Lime Kefir-ello: Water Kefir Gelatin from Divine Health
- Healthier Herbal Jello from The Nerdy Farm Wife
- Turmeric Gelatin from It Takes Time
- Grain-Free Blueberry Bread from Real Food Outlaws
- Paleo Peach Cobbler from Paleo Gone Sassy
- Grain-Free Lemon Medeira Cake from Real Food Outlaws
- Real Food No Bake Cookies from Simple Life Abundant Life
- Chocolate Dipped Gummy Filled Strawberries from Homegrown and Healthy
- Cranberry Gelatin Salad from The Homeschooling Doctor
- Paleo Banana Pancakes with Gelatin from Paleo Gone Sassy
- Overnight Blueberry French Toast Bake from Real Food Outlaws
- Paleo Egg McMuffins from Paleo Gone Sassy
- Grain-Free Sandwich Wraps from Real Food Outlaws
- How to Make Rich, Creamy Coconut Milk Yogurt from Delicious Obsessions
- How to Make Thick Homemade Raw Milk Yogurt from Kitchen Stewardship
- Bone Broth Blocks (for Snack time of Sleepytime) from Real Food Carolyn
- Homemade Hair Spray Gel from Health Starts in the Kitchen
- Gelatin Hair Treatment from Paleo Diet Basics
Tell me, what is your favorite way to eat gelatin? Have you experienced improved health since incorporating gelatin into your diet? Leave a comment below and don’t forget to check out Sylvie’s book, The Gelatin Secret (affiliate link)!
- “Gelatin, Stress, Longevity” | RayPeat.com
- “Bone Broth Benefits” | Mercola.com
- “Stocks” | Nourishing Traditions
- “Why Broth is Beautiful” | Weston A. Price Foundation
- “9 Ways Gelatin Can Improve Your Health” | Natural News
- “Gelatin for Anxiety, Sleep, and Appetite Suppression” | Judy Tsafrir, MD
Want Even More Gelatin Goodness?
Health Benefits and Gelatin Info
Gelatin Recipes (Gluten-Free)
- Strawberry Mint Lemonade Gummies
- Melon Gummies
- Elderberry Gummies with Ginger and Turmeric
- Honey Orange Fruit Snacks
- Strawberry Clouds Dessert
- Vanilla Bean Faux Cheesecake
- Clean and Healthy Homemade Marshmallows
- Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Pumpkin Brownies
- Pumpkin Scones
- Double Dark Chocolate Coconut Milk Pudding
- Coconut Tulsi (Holy Basil) Ice Cream
- Strawberries & Cream Tart
- Creamy Coconut Milk Yogurt (no yogurt maker required)