FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. Read our full terms and conditions here.
This Peppermint White Hot Chocolate Recipe came about years ago when I was totally addicted to Starbucks (like seriously addicted — I’d go at least once a day, sometimes twice). One of my favorite drinks that they made was their Peppermint White Hot Chocolate — so rich, creamy, sweet, and decadent.
And not at all good for me, especially with the number of drinks I consumed during that period of my life!
I decided that I needed to try making it at home, not only for my health, but for my budget. Not only was it very simple to recreate, now I don’t feel so guilty about indulging in the sweet beverage once in awhile. Lots of healthy fats and you can adjust the sweetener to suit your own preferences. I prefer things much less sweet today, since I have broken my sugar addiction and don’t consume much sugar now.
This delicious drink can be doubled, tripled, even quadrupled, if you’re making it for a big group of people. It’s rich and satisfying and absolutely perfect on a cold winter day after being outside in the snow.
Delicious Obsessions Product Recommendations
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Thrive Market has better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂
- I get all of my herbs and spices from Mountain Rose Herbs. I have tried so many other brands and have never found the quality, flavor, and aroma to be as good as the herbs I get from Mountain Rose.
Important Note On Gelatin Types
When it comes to gelatin, you don’t want any old gelatin off the supermarket shelves. You want to look for 100% grass-fed gelatin from healthy animals. Just like other animal products, quality is important.
That is why I recommend Vital Proteins Grass-Fed Gelatin products and Perfect Supplements products exclusively. I have compared these brand with other brands on the market and the quality far surpasses anything else I’ve tried. I am thrilled to be one of their affiliate partners and support such great products and companies.
Perfect Supplements offers a grass-fed hydrolyzed collagen (cold-soluble) right now and has a gelatin (hot-soluble) in the works for 2016. Read my review of their product here or watch the video below. You can order their own products via their own site here or on Amazon here.
Shout out to my friend Suzanne from Strands of My Life for shooting the photo for this recipe!
- ¼ cup of white chocolate chips (use these homemade chips for dairy-free option)
- 2 cups of coconut milk or coconut cream - I love Aroy-D brand for both (you can also use cow's milk too, preferably raw)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (learn how to make your own vanilla here)
- 1 tbsp. cold-soluble grass-fed gelatin (see note above)
- ¼ teaspoon of peppermint extract
- Whipped cream or whipped coconut cream (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the white chocolate over very low heat.
- Add the milk, honey, and gelatin and turn the heat up to medium-low. Stir continuously to combine and keep the milk from burning.
- After the mixture has heated up, add the vanilla and peppermint extract. Stir and remove from heat.
- Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream and if you really want to get fancy, you can add some crushed peppermint candies.
- Serve immediately.