FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission on your sale which allows me to cover a portion of the cost of running the Delicious Obsessions site and free content we provide every week. This has no effect on your price and is simply a cost of doing business from the company you purchase from. I only recommend products or services that I have personally tried and love. You can view it like leaving a tip. Thank you for your support!
If I had to choose my favorite dessert, it would be a tie between cheesecake and ice cream.
Heck. Why not just have both?!
Sadly, when I said bye-bye to dairy several years ago, I also said bye-bye to cheesecake.
What a sad, sad day. 🙁
Now, don't get me wrong.
There are TONS of dairy-free cheesecake recipes out there. A simple Google search will give you thousands of suggestions.
But the one thing that drove me crazy about all of those recipes is that they are all made using a nut base for the “cheese” part.
I like nuts, but that is just too dang much, especially if you are following any sort of gut-healing diet or the autoimmune protocol.
While I have successfully reintroduced nuts and seeds into my diet, I still keep my consumption to a minimum, just because it's easy for me to get carried away and eat far too many. A few here and there is fine, but a slice of cheesecake made with macadamia nuts or cashews is just too much for me to handle.
So, that is how this recipe came about.
I knew there had to be away to get a cheesecakey dessert without having to use nuts in my crust or as the base for the filling.
And so my vanilla bean faux cheesecake was born.
100% gluten, grain, dairy, egg, and nut free.
The splash of fresh lemon juice and zest gives it that slight tang of cream cheese. While it's not going to taste exactly like your favorite cheesecake, it's a pretty darn good substitute!
If you're on a restricted diet, enjoy!
I used Norm's Farms Elderberry Jam as the topping on this, but you could use any other jam or jelly of your choice. Fresh fruit would also be amazing, as would a fruit puree or sauce. Feel free to experiment with what you have on hand.
Coupons for Vanilla Bean Faux Cheesecake Ingredients
Below are special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Vitacost: If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase.
- Tropical Traditions: If you make a purchase from them through this link, you will receive a free copy of their Virgin Coconut Oil book with your order.
Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Vitacost and Thrive Market have better deals. If you like saving money, it's good to shop around! 🙂
Important Note On Gelatin Types
When it comes to gelatin, you don’t want any old gelatin off the supermarket shelves. You want to look for 100% grass-fed gelatin from healthy animals. Just like other animal products, quality is important. I discuss this in detail in this post, The Scoop on Gelatin Brands.
That is why I recommend Vital Proteins Grass-Fed Gelatin products and Perfect Supplements products exclusively. I have compared these brand with other brands on the market and the quality far surpasses anything else I’ve tried. I am thrilled to be one of their affiliate partners and support such great products and companies.
Perfect Supplements offers a grass-fed hydrolyzed collagen (cold-soluble) and a gelatin (hot-soluble). Read my review of their product here or watch the video below. You can order their own products via their own site here or on Amazon here.
- 1 cup coconut cream concentrate (aka. coconut butter), softened / liquefied
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. orange extract
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp. liquid stevia
- 6 cups Aroy-D coconut cream (coconut milk will also work, but the coconut cream works better — I like Aroy-D for both)
- 1 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- ½ tsp. liquid stevia
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract or 1 rounded tsp. vanilla bean powder
- ¼ tsp. orange extract
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 4 tbsp. grass-fed gelatin (I like Perfect Supplements and Vital Proteins – SEE NOTE ABOVE)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Warm your coconut butter over low heat until smooth and liquidy.
- Place in a small mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix all the ingredients together until combined.
- Press dough into your springform pan, pie pan, or other baking dish until it covers the bottom.
- Bake for 10-15 min or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temp while you make the filling.
- Combine all ingredients except gelatin in a sauce pan.
- Heat over low heat until slightly warm.
- Slowly sprinkle the gelatin in while whisking vigorously.
- Remove from heat and pour mixture into a bowl.
- Place in fridge to chill for one hour.
- Once chilled, pour mixture into room temperature crust and chill completely. You can also freeze this if you're making it ahead of time.
- Top with your favorite jam or fresh fruit.
- Note: I made this with a 9″ springform pan with a VERY tight seal. If you question whether your pan will seal enough to prevent the mixture from leaking, I recommend making this in a normal pie pan (maybe reduce the recipe by ¼ – ⅓ depending on the size of your pie pan). You could also use any type of glass baking dish and make cheesecake bars.
Want Even More Gelatin Goodness?
Health Benefits and Gelatin Info
- Get the real scoop on gelatin brands here.
- Learn how to use gelatin for an egg replacement here.
- Find out the amazing health benefits of gelatin here.
Gelatin Recipes (Gluten-Free)
- My real food boards on Pinterest.
- Strawberry Mint Lemonade Gummies
- Melon Gummies
- Elderberry Gummies with Ginger and Turmeric
- Honey Orange Fruit Snacks
- Strawberry Clouds Dessert
- Vanilla Bean Faux Cheesecake
- Clean and Healthy Homemade Marshmallows
- Coconut Milk Hot Chocolate
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Pumpkin Brownies
- Pumpkin Scones
- Double Dark Chocolate Coconut Milk Pudding
- Coconut Tulsi (Holy Basil) Ice Cream
- Strawberries & Cream Tart
- Creamy Coconut Milk Yogurt (no yogurt maker required)
The Gelatin Secret
For further reading, my friend Sylvie's book, The Gelatin Secret (affiliate link), is by far the best book out there on the subject.
Gelatin is the superfood that can give you relief from digestive disorders and thousands of people are finding that regular consumption is helping them heal their bodies and live a healthier life.