FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. Read our full terms and conditions here.
This chocolate banana shake is a throwback to the “shakes” my mom used to make me when I was a child.
It wasn’t often that I got to have sweets growing up. My mom never kept junk food in the home and kept my sugar consumption pretty low. I would always get excited when she’d make this and each time I make it as an adult, I am transported back to being a child and hanging out with my mother.
If you’re not eating chocolate, you can substitute carob and it is equally delicious. My mom used to make it with carob quite often, so I actually prefer the taste of the carob over the chocolate, just because it reminds me of childhood.
This shake is so rich, creamy, and full of flavor as it is, but if you’re extra adventurous you can toss a couple spoonfuls of nut butter in it for an extra tasty treat!
Delicious Obsessions Product Recommendations
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Thrive Market has better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂
- I get all of my herbs and spices from Mountain Rose Herbs. I have tried so many other brands and have never found the quality, flavor, and aroma to be as good as the herbs I get from Mountain Rose.
Important Note On Gelatin Types
When it comes to gelatin, you don’t want any old gelatin off the supermarket shelves. You want to look for 100% grass-fed gelatin from healthy animals. Just like other animal products, quality is important.
That is why I recommend Vital Proteins Grass-Fed Gelatin products and Perfect Supplements products exclusively. I have compared these brand with other brands on the market and the quality far surpasses anything else I’ve tried. I am thrilled to be one of their affiliate partners and support such great products and companies.
Perfect Supplements offers a grass-fed hydrolyzed collagen (cold-soluble) right now and has a gelatin (hot-soluble) in the works for 2016. Read my review of their product here or watch the video below. You can order their own products via their own site here or on Amazon here.
If you want to learn more about gelatin and its benefits for our health, I highly recommend this book, The Gelatin Secret: The Surprising Superfood That Transforms Your Health and Beauty, from my affiliate partner, Sylvie McCracken. This book is packed with incredible information on how gelatin helps all aspects of our health and also features delicious recipes!
Shout out to my friend Suzanne from Strands of My Life for shooting the photo for this recipe!
- 1 cup coconut milk or coconut cream - I love Aroy-D brand for both (OR learn how make your own here)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 6 drops stevia
- 1 tbsp. grass-fed collagen (see note above)
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (learn how to make your own vanilla here)
- 1 tablespoon high quality cocoa powder or toasted carob powder
- Throw all the ingredients in a high-powered blender (I LOVE my Blendtec!) and blend until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add more ice for a thick, ice cream-like shake, or less ice for a thinner version.
- Serves 1-2 (depending on if you want to share!).