Vanilla Bean Faux Cheesecake :: gluten, grain, dairy, egg, and nut free, autoimmune paleo

This post may contain affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product or service I wouldn’t use on my own family.

Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis is one of the most common yet uncommonly diagnosed diseases in the world! This event will raise awareness of the autoimmune disease, help with early detection and connect you to proper testing for diagnosis. The Healing Hashimoto’s Summit is online and free from June 13-20, 2016!

Vanilla Bean Faux Cheesecake (gluten, grain, dairy, egg, and nut free) // deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

Cheesecake.

If I had to choose my favorite dessert, it would be a tie between cheesecake and ice cream.

Heck. Why not just have both?!

Sadly, when I said bye-bye to dairy several years ago, I also said bye-bye to cheesecake.

What a sad, sad day. 🙁

Now, don’t get me wrong.

There are TONS of dairy-free cheesecake recipes out there. A simple Google search will give you thousands of suggestions.

But the one thing that drove me crazy about all of those recipes is that they are all made using a nut base for the “cheese” part.

I like nuts, but that is just too dang much, especially if you are following any sort of gut-healing diet or the autoimmune protocol.

While I have successfully reintroduced nuts and seeds into my diet, I still keep my consumption to a minimum, just because it’s easy for me to get carried away and eat far too many. A few here and there is fine, but a slice of cheesecake made with macadamia nuts or cashews is just too much for me to handle.

So, that is how this recipe came about.

I knew there had to be  away to get a cheesecakey dessert without having to use nuts in my crust or as the base for the filling.

And so my vanilla bean faux cheesecake was born.

100% gluten, grain, dairy, egg, and nut free.

The splash of fresh lemon juice and zest gives it that slight tang of cream cheese. While it’s not going to taste exactly like your favorite cheesecake, it’s a pretty darn good substitute!

If you’re on a restricted diet, enjoy!

I used Norm’s Farms Elderberry Jam as the topping on this, but you could use any other jam or jelly of your choice. Fresh fruit would also be amazing, as would a fruit puree or sauce. Feel free to experiment with what you have on hand.

Coupons for Vanilla Bean Faux Cheesecake Ingredients

Below are special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:

• Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
  • Vitacost: If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase.

Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Vitacost and Thrive Market have better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂

Important Note On Gelatin Types

When it comes to gelatin, you don’t want any old gelatin off the supermarket shelves. You want to look for 100% grass-fed gelatin from healthy animals. Just like other animal products, quality is important.

That is why I recommend Vital Proteins Grass-Fed Gelatin products and Perfect Supplements products exclusively. I have compared these brand with other brands on the market and the quality far surpasses anything else I’ve tried. I am thrilled to be one of their affiliate partners and support such great products and companies.

Perfect Supplements offers a grass-fed hydrolyzed collagen (cold-soluble) right now and has a gelatin (hot-soluble) in the works for 2016. Read my review of their product here or watch the video below. You can order their own products via their own site here or on Amazon here.

Vital Proteins offers two types of gelatin. The green top (Collagen Protein) is what you need for this recipe and for recipes where you are making gummies, “jello”, etc. The blue top (Collagen Peptides) is cold water soluble and does not thicken or gel like gelatin does. Both are very nutritious, but can’t be used interchangeably. You can order their own products via their own site here or on Amazon here.

Vanilla Bean Faux Cheesecake (gluten, grain, dairy, egg, and nut free)

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. All funds earned go to help support the maintenance of this site and free content. Thank you! :)
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: gluten, grain, dairy, egg, and nut free
Serves: 10
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. CRUST
  2. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  3. Warm your coconut butter over low heat until smooth and liquidy.
  4. Place in a small mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.
  5. Mix all the ingredients together until combined.
  6. Press dough into your springform pan, pie pan, or other baking dish until it covers the bottom.
  7. Bake for 10-15 min or until lightly browned.
  8. Remove from oven and let cool to room temp while you make the filling.
  9. FILLING
  10. Combine all ingredients except gelatin in a sauce pan.
  11. Heat over low heat until slightly warm.
  12. Slowly sprinkle the gelatin in while whisking vigorously.
  13. Remove from heat and pour mixture into a bowl.
  14. Place in fridge to chill for one hour.
  15. Once chilled, pour mixture into room temperature crust and chill completely. You can also freeze this if you're making it ahead of time.
  16. Top with your favorite jam or fresh fruit.
  17. Note: I made this with a 9" springform pan with a VERY tight seal. If you question whether your pan will seal enough to prevent the mixture from leaking, I recommend making this in a normal pie pan (maybe reduce the recipe by ¼ - ⅓ depending on the size of your pie pan). You could also use any type of glass baking dish and make cheesecake bars.

Want Even More Gelatin Goodness?

Health Benefits and Gelatin Info

Gelatin Recipes (Gluten-Free)

The Gelatin Secret

For further reading, my friend Sylvie’s book, The Gelatin Secret (affiliate link), is by far the best book out there on the subject.

Gelatin is the superfood that can give you relief from digestive disorders and thousands of people are finding that regular consumption is helping them heal their bodies and live a healthier life.

Gelatin-Secret-ebook

Learn More and Download Your Copy Here

Jessica is a real food wellness educator and the founder of the Delicious Obsessions website. She has had a life-long passion for food and being in the kitchen is where she is the happiest. She began helping her mother cook and bake around the age of three and she's been in the kitchen ever since, including working in a restaurant in her hometown for almost a decade, where she worked every position before finally becoming the lead chef. Jessica started Delicious Obsessions in 2010 as a way to help share her love for food and cooking. Since then, it has grown into a trusted online resource with a vibrant community of people learning to live healthy, happy lives through real food and natural living.

1. I feel as if this recipe is deceptive in its title. While you are in the right saying that it is gluten, dairy, and egg free… CocoNUTs are a tree nut, to which many are allergic to. Most “nuts” are tree nuts, the only “nut” which is not a tree nut, is a peanut… Which is actually not a nut at all, it is a legume, like soy. Which is a good reason, if you have peanut allergies, to avoid soy products as well.

Tree nut
    Posted 07/16/14

• Actually, coconut is NOT a tree nut. Coconut is a member of the palm family, which is not related to nuts or peanuts (legumes). Coconuts are technically a fruit, which, botanically, is a drupe, not a nut. The FDA confused everyone a couple of years back by adding coconut to the list of tree nut allergens, however, it is not technically a tree nut. Hopefully that clears up your confusion!

Posted 07/16/14

2. o my goodness heaven has just arrived with a beautiful cheesecake thank you

carol clark
    Posted 07/16/14

3. Yay! I have been waiting for someone to come out with a dairy-free cheesecake that doesn’t have cashews in it! 🙂 Can’t wait to try it!

Raia
    Posted 07/16/14

4. Cheesecake and ice cream are my favourite foods too!! I miss them, without dairy, but can’t wait to try this!

Naomi
    Posted 07/18/14

5. This sounds so good, but I’m on the GAPS diet and cannot have stevia. What would be the equivalent amount of honey in place of the stevia? Thanks!

Gail Northway
    Posted 07/30/14

• Hi Gail – I am not sure, as I have not made it with honey before. I would try 1-2 tbsp. and see how that tastes. You could always add a touch more if needed. Hope you enjoy!

Posted 07/31/14

6. WOW! I am with Raia — I’ve been wishing for a dairy-free, cashew-free “cheese”cake recipe. I can’t wait to make this one! Amazing job, and gorgeous photos, too 🙂

Amanda Torres
    Posted 08/03/14

7. can you omit the honey in the filling?
    thanks!!

Tara
    Posted 09/11/14

• Hi Tara – You could leave the honey out, but you will need to increase the stevia (or use another sweetener of your choice). Hope you enjoy! 🙂

Posted 09/11/14

8. This looks devine! I’m with you; cashew based cheese cakes just don’t do it for me. Coconut Cream is a non-diary miracle!

Lisa | Mummy Made.It
    Posted 09/13/14

9. I just made this for a birthday cake, and it was a big hit, even with dairy/gluten eaters, babies, and Paleo skeptics. I made it in cupcake liners for single servings. Might have wanted a touch more salt in the crust and filling, as it was slightly bland. I used only honey in the filling and skipped the stevia. Also, remember that you have at least 2 hours chill time in addition to the prep time listed in the recipe. This is a great idea and could be made in so many interesting variations (ginger cardamom, chocolate peanutbutter, key lime).

Anna
    Posted 09/14/14

• Hi Anna – Thanks for the feedback! I’ll have to remake it and see if I need to make some adjustments to the salt. Great catch on the prep time. I thought I added that in there, but I guess I did not. I’ll make sure to update that! 🙂

Posted 09/15/14

10. This looks delicious! However I can’t have coconuts either! Is there any substitution for the coconut products in this recipe?

Caleb
    Posted 10/26/14

• Hi Caleb – Unfortunately no. This recipe was developed using the specific ingredients above. You’re more than welcome to experiment with some different ingredients, but I can’t attest to how well it will turn out! Cheers!

Posted 10/26/14

11. Hi I’m new to all this gelatine info so help needed please. I clicked on your order site you get yours from, but what’s the difference twix peptides and protein ones for baking. many thanks.and grass fed beef isn’t something we see in Scottish supermarkets so do I have to order all the way from America?

Madeleine
    Posted 12/14/14

• Hi Madeleine – I use the green top gelatin (the collagen protein) for this recipe. The other one (blue top) is cold soluble and won’t gel like you need for this recipe. The green top will be used for things like jell-o, gummies, etc. The blue top is used for things like smoothies because it doesn’t clump up on cold liquids. It’s a great way to get some added protein and amino acids into your diet. As far as ordering, I’m not sure what would be available in the UK that is grass-fed. I’m only familiar with Vital Proteins and Great Lakes gelatin here in the States (both are 100% grass-fed). There may be something comparable in the UK or Europe. Maybe check Google or Amazon?

Posted 12/14/14

12. Sorry should have read more carefully got it now. Also thanks for enlightenment as I thought coconut was a type of nut.

Madeleine
    Posted 12/14/14

• Hi Madeleine – My pleasure! The FDA really confused people about 8 years ago when they added coconuts to the tree nut list. You’re definitely not alone in thinking that! 🙂

Posted 12/14/14

13. I am dairy intollerant so trying to find dairy free recipes that taste good has been a struggle. I tried a cheesecake recipe made from cashew “cream cheese”. It was ok, but I wouldn’t have made it again. Now THIS recipe sounds awesome! I will have to give it a try soon!!

Rachael
    Posted 12/15/14

• Hope you enjoy Rachael! I really miss good old fashioned cheesecake made with cream cheese. There’s nothing like it, but if I have to eat a dairy-free substitute, this is the next best thing! 🙂

Posted 12/15/14

14. How thick is this cheesecake with your 9 inch pan, not including the strawberries?

Abigail
    Posted 02/09/15

• Hi Abigail – It has been a while since I’ve made it, but if I remember correctly, it’s probably 2 inches thick, maybe a tad more. Hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 02/10/15

15. Oops, I mean blueberries!

Abigail
    Posted 02/09/15

16. I made this last night and the cheesecake turned out great. I used 1/2 a tsp over-ripe banana instead of stevia in the cake and it turned out well. Not overly sweet and a bit more pana cotta than cheesecake but so delicious (and free of all the no nos in my life. Hooray!).
    I do have a question on the crust. Mine seems flatter than your picture. Do you really mean 1 cup of the “butter” and 1/4 c flour? Or is that suppose to be reversed? The crust is yummy with the extracts but just more butter than substance. Thanks!

Kate
    Posted 12/22/15

• Hi Kate! So glad you guys liked it! Great idea with the banana! I may try that next time I make this! 🙂 Yes, the crust recipe is correct. The coconut butter is just pureed coconut meat, so it technically it’s like it already has coconut flour in it. The extra coconut flour is just to help absorb some of the oil and moisture from the coconut butter. I’m wondering if there was a difference in the size of the pan used? Mine was a 9″ springform pan. I’ve made this recipe a gazillion times and the crust always turns out great. It sounds like it still turned out well for you, even if the crust seems flatter than this one. 🙂

Posted 12/24/15

17. Should the oil separate to the top? My filling is sitting in the fridge two plus hours and it all separated and has not thickened. I used grass fed gelatin, not collagen. There is also a middle layer and bottom layer (it’s in a glass plan).

Nor
    Posted 03/02/16

• Hi Nor – No, that should definitely not happen. I’ve never had it separate and I’ve made this recipe a bunch. This recipe calls for gelatin, not collagen as you need it to gel, so you’re good there. Collagen doesn’t gel. Maybe try throwing the mixture in a blender or a mixer to recombine?

Posted 03/06/16