FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. Read our full terms and conditions here.
Walk into the warm aroma of simmering meat with bell peppers, onions and Mexican spices as you prepare to stuff your favorite tortillas or load your plates with delicious fajitas. This Tejano or Tex–Mex dish originated in northern Mexico and quickly became popular in the United States. Traditionally made with grilled meat, our version offers a hearty bite of potato to an already star-studded cast of ingredients and brings all of the flavors together in a quick Instant Pot rendition.
I am thrilled to have another recipe from another one of my dear friend Emily’s cookbook. Not only is she an amazing friend (so honored to call her one), she is an incredible cook too and her new cookbook is no exception. If you aren’t familiar with Emily’s recipes already, just check out just a few of these tasty dishes (she used to be one of my wonderful website contributors):
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie with Jaggery Crust
- 10-Minute Strawberry Panna Cotta
- Easy Instant Pot Bacon Broccoli Frittata
- Sea Salted Chocolate Raspberry Caramels
- Frothy Golden Milk Hot Chocolate
- Easy One Pot Gluten-Free Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Grain Free Zucchini Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Grain-Free Mini Plum Raspberry Galettes
- Lemon Custard Berry Parfait
- Grain-Free Lime Bars
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Filling
Introducing Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot
I could not be any more thrilled for Emily and her new “baby”. Did you also know she finished up this cookbook when she was pregnant with her own TWIN babies?! How she did it (and does it) all, is beyond me. She must be part superwoman. <3
What’s even more fun is that this new cookbook, Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot, was a joint project with her hubby! How great is that! Together, they have recreated authentic Mexican favorites to be easily prepared in your Instant Pot.
On a side note, if you don’t have an Instant Pot yet, what are you waiting for?! Find one on Amazon here.
Emily and her husband, Rudy, share family recipes for making the most popular Mexican dishes the quick and easy way. Rudy’s Mexican heritage and former experience as a professional chef, coupled with Emily’s experience as a busy mom and food blogger are the perfect pairings for this joint project. Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot brings you the best of both worlds: authenticity and practicality.
What’s Inside Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot
This new cookbook features 80 recipes with everything from tacos and burritos, to fajitas and desserts, and everything else in between. All of the recipes are made with REAL, whole food ingredients and are all naturally gluten-free and soy-free. Most of the recipes can be made grain-free and dairy free with a few modifications.
If you want a breakdown on the numbers:
- Over 30 recipes are strictly paleo
- Over 50 recipes are strictly dairy-free
- Many can be tweaked to suit a variety of dietary styles
- There are vegetarian options too!
Because this is a Mexican cookbook, there are some recipes that use corn, rice, and/or beans. It wouldn’t be traditional without them! But again, there are often easy modifications you can make for quite a few of them if you have to avoid those ingredients.
A quick sampling of the recipes include :
- Mexican-Spiced “Barbecue” Shredded Beef (Barbacoa)
- Green Pork Chili (Chile Verde)
- Tender Pork “Little Meats” (Carnitas)
- Red Beef Chili (Chile Colorado)
- Red Mole (Mole Rojo)
- Shrimp Fajitas (Fajitas de Camarones)
- Chile Dip (Salsa de Chile Rellenos)
- Zucchini Corn Soup (Sopa de Calabacitas con Elote)
- Spanish Frittata (Torta Española)
- Custard Tart (Flan)
- Hot Chocolate Corn Water (Champurrado)
And, lastly, because we all eat with our eyes, Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot is a high quality, paperback cookbook that features stunning full-color photos for each recipe (all of which were photographed by Emily!!).
If you want to order your own copy of Emily’s book (and I highly recommend that you do!), you can find it on Amazon here.
Chicken Fajitas from Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot
It was REALLY tough to choose just one recipe to share with y’all, but when I saw the Chicken Fajitas as an option, I knew that was the one. I LOVE fajitas and while I do have a delicious beef fajita recipe on the site here, I don’t have a chicken fajita recipe. AND, it’s made in the Instant Pot, which makes me even happier. 🙂
Also, can I just say that this recipe makes incredible leftovers? Whenever I make dishes like this, I always make sure I double the recipe so I have LOTS of leftovers. Meats like this are so versatile. You can use them to make burritos, tacos, quesadillas, tostadas, salads, sandwiches, wraps, and more. They even taste delicious with eggs for breakfast.
Let’s dive into this amazing recipe, shall we?!
Reprinted with permission from Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot by Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri and Rudy Vidaurri, Page Street Publishing Co. 2019. Photo credit: Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri.
- 2 tbsp (28 g) butter, ghee or avocado oil
- 1½ lbs (680 g) chicken breast, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (120 ml) chicken broth
- ¼ cup (4 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 5 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 small green or yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 small tomato, seeded and diced
- 1½ tsp (4 g) sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh lime juice
- Optional Toppings and Fixings
- Grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Lemon or lime juice
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Warmed tortillas (gluten-free corn, grain-free, etc.)
- Add the healthy fat of your choice to the Instant Pot and press “Sauté.” When the fat has melted, add the chicken and brown for 3 minutes on each side. Remove the browned chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the broth to deglaze the Instant Pot.
- Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button. Add the cilantro, onion, garlic, bell peppers, jalapeños, potato, tomato, salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano, black pepper, lime juice, and chicken, then stir to coat the chicken.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam-release valve is sealed. Press the “Manual” button and set for 5 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done and beeps, press “Keep Warm/Cancel.” Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Using an oven mitt, open the steam valve. If there is any steam left over, allow it to release until the silver dial drops, then carefully open the lid.
- Serve immediately with your favorite fajita toppings and fixings.