Dairy-free Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe

This post may contain affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product or service I wouldn’t use on my own family.

Dairy-free Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe // deliciousobsessions.com #dairyfree #coconutmilk Follow Me on Pinterest

This dairy free vanilla ice cream recipe is a classic and is so delicious that you won’t even miss the dairy! This recipe is perfect to have on hand for those who have food allergies and it is so simple and easy to make.

I love ice cream – pretty much any flavor, non-dairy or dairy. However, I rarely buy it because most commercial ice creams are filled with so much junk. Even the organic and all-natural brands still have certain ingredients that I don’t like. So, that’s why I invested in a Cuisinart ice cream maker (it was on clearance at Sur la Table) and it has gotten a lot of love!

Here is a simple and delicious non-dairy ice cream. Perfect by itself, or on top of bananas foster or mixed fruit cobbler. Even better, try it with some coconut oil Magic Shell drizzled over the top and get your daily dose of coconut oil! Yum!

Feel free to add other flavors or mix-ins to this recipe. You could customize it any way you like. Enjoy!

Intimidated by the thought of making your own ice cream at home? Don’t be! It’s so easy and here are 5 Tips for Perfect Homemade Ice Cream.

NOTE: People seem to freak out because I’ve included raw egg yolks in this recipe. If you don’t want to eat raw eggs, then don’t. I ONLY eat raw eggs when they come from a source I trust, like my parents (who raise chickens) or a local farmer that I know and trust. I would NEVER eat commercial eggs raw. So, if you don’t have a safe source for eggs, you can either omit them, or heat the mixture over very low heat to pasteurize the eggs before making the ice cream.

Coupons and Freebies for Dairy-free Vanilla Ice Cream Ingredients

I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. Below are special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:

• Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
  • Vitacost: If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase.

Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Vitacost and Thrive Market have better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂

Shout out to my friend Suzanne from Strands of My Life for shooting the photo for this recipe!
Dairy-free Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe

Prep time
Total time

I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. All funds earned go to help support the maintenance of this site and free content. Thank you! :)
Author:
Recipe type: Dairy-free ice cream dessert
Serves: 6
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Mix all the ingredients together with a hand mixer until thoroughly combined.
  2. Chill completely, at least 6 hours, or overnight.
  3. Prepare according to your ice cream maker's instructions.
  4. No ice cream maker? No problem. Just pour the mixture into a shallow freezer-safe dish. Place in the freezer and every 30-45 minutes, stir the mixture around until it reaches a consistency you like. More time consuming, but totally doable. :)
Looking for some more allergy-friendly ice cream recipes? This eBook from my affiliate partner has you covered! Right now, take advantage of the end of summer promo through Sept. 22, 2014 and receive this awesome ebook for only $5.00! Click here to learn more.
The #1 Delicious Treat You Miss When You Follow The Autoimmune Protocol // deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

Jessica is a real food wellness educator and the founder of the Delicious Obsessions website. She has had a life-long passion for food and being in the kitchen is where she is the happiest. She began helping her mother cook and bake around the age of three and she's been in the kitchen ever since, including working in a restaurant in her hometown for almost a decade, where she worked every position before finally becoming the lead chef. Jessica started Delicious Obsessions in 2010 as a way to help share her love for food and cooking. Since then, it has grown into a trusted online resource with a vibrant community of people learning to live healthy, happy lives through real food and natural living.

1. I found a similar recipe that used 1 can coconut milk, 1/3 C PB, 1/3 C sweetener, and vanilla.  I doubled the recipe and only used 1/3 C sugar, plus about 1/2 tsp white stevia powder.  The whole family loved it.

Amy
    Posted 06/02/11

• Yum! I LOVE homemade ice cream and it’s fun to experiment with different “milks”!

Anonymous
      Posted 06/04/11

2. How is this dairy free is the first ingredient is eggs?!

Sith
    Posted 12/29/12

• Hi Sith – Many people don’t consider eggs “dairy”. I don’t, as I can tolerate eggs fine, but cannot drink milk, eat cheese, etc. I consider dairy to refer to anything that is milk-based. That said, everyone had their own definitions, so if you are allergic to eggs or don’t like them, you can just omit them from the recipe. Hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 12/29/12

• I think your recipe may have a misprint – pasteurized eggs, when you might mean pastured, organic eggs. Also, should the ingredients be cooked as the yolks would make a creamy custard then.

For the posters who queried the “dairy-free” status – DAIRY means is comes from a cow. I know some people are confused by this because eggs are often sold in the dairy section of a grocery store.

Debbie
      Posted 08/12/14

• Hi Debbie – I’m confused as to what you are referring to, as the recipe states “pastured” eggs, not “pasteurized”. I personally don’t cook my mixture before making the ice cream for two reasons (1) raw eggs are easier to digest for many people, and (2) I get my eggs from a source I trust, so I have no qualms about eating them raw. You certainly could make a custard first and then turn it into ice cream if you prefer. Cheers! 🙂

Posted 08/12/14

3. How do you pasturize egg yolks?

Carlie
    Posted 04/30/13

• Hi Carlie – I don’t pasteurize them, because I get my eggs from a safe source that I trust, so I don’t worry about eating them raw. If you are concerned, you could heat the milk and the eggs together and make a sort of custard. Then, you could cool it down and proceed from there. I would definitely not eat store-bought eggs raw, but if they’re from a safe source, you should not have anything to worry about. Hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 05/01/13

4. Does this recipe make a creamy ice cream? I have tried a few recipes with coconut milk and just can’t seem to get it creamy like a dairy ice cream!

Katie
    Posted 07/16/13

• Hi Katie – I find the ice cream to be creamy, especially if you use an ice cream maker. I think the eggs really help improve the body and texture of the ice cream. Hope you enjoy!

Posted 07/17/13

5. What can I substitute for the stevia? Artificial sweeteners and stevia both give me horrible headaches 🙁

Amanda
    Posted 08/06/14

• Hi Amanda – You could replace it with a couple tablespoons of granulated sugar of your choice. Hope you enjoy! 🙂

Posted 08/07/14

6. Can I sub cashew milk for coconut milk?

Michele
    Posted 10/29/14

• Hi Michele – I’ve never tried it, but I imagine it would work. Let me know how it turns out! 🙂

Posted 10/31/14

7. Re the eggs question, as someone has previously mentioned, eggs are definitely NOT dairy. Dairy comes from a cow, a dairy cow on. a dairy farm. Eggs come from a chicken. Eggs are in the protein food group.
    Check out http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/eatwell-plate.aspx

Catie
    Posted 03/14/15

• Hi Catie – Totally agree! People are always confused about eggs being dairy and I’ve never understood that. I think it must be because they are in the same sections at the grocery store? 🙂

Posted 03/15/15

8. PS LOVE the recipe :)!!

Catie
    Posted 03/14/15

9. Jessica,
    First of all thank you for all of your thorough info. I’m into this big time and it is always a testament to someone else when I learn something new. My question is: I made ice cream last night (raw milk) using Megan Stevens (Eatbeautiful.net) recipe. I love her but it came out icy. I have a fancy new Breville ice cream maker so I know its not that and I followed your instructions too. Is it the maple syrup (too much liquid) or the fact that you do not “cook” the mixture first that made it icy. In other words, how do you make really creamy ice cream?

Roberta R. Devers-Scott
    Posted 06/03/16

• Hi Roberta! I actually stopped using liquid sweeteners in my ice cream recipes because of that. Now I use a super fine granulated sweetener and the texture is much better. I avoid anything that can add extra water to the mixture and make it icy. I also use thick cream (coconut cream now, but when I was eating dairy it would be heavy cream) as the base. Higher fat content and less water. You could add a little half-and-half if you wanted to cut the cream some. I would not use just milk though as milk has a much higher water content and is going to give you the icy consistency. The higher the fat, the smoother and creamier the ice cream. I’m, not sure if you’re interested, but I just released my newest ebook all about homemade ice cream: https://shop.deliciousobsessions.com/product/the-splendid-scoop/. Hope that helps! Happy churning! 🙂

Posted 06/03/16

10. yes that is what i thought. i LOVE good fats and we eat dairy so raw cream it is with super fine organic sugar (of some sort) and yes, i am ordering the book.

thank you.