FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. Read our full terms and conditions here.
Craving mashed potatoes, but don’t want all the carbs?
Then I have something perfect for you!
Several years ago, when I was going pretty low carb, I decided I needed something to replace mashed potatoes. I had started using cauliflower to make garlic herb cauli “rice” and quickly discovered that when it comes to veggies, cauliflower is one of the most versatile veggies out there.
I steamed my cauliflower and tossed it in the blender with all of my normal mashed potato ingredients and the result was, well, fantastic!
It was WAY better than I expected. I now find that I prefer mashed cauliflower over mashed potatoes any day.
This is the perfect side dish for any meal that you’d normally serve mashed potatoes. With the holidays right around the corner, now is the time to add this to your menu!
- Steam your cauliflower until tender. I use my steamer basket in my 6 quart soup pot and it takes about 12 minutes.
- Place the cooked cauliflower, butter, garlic powder, black pepper, sea salt, and coconut milk/cream/or chicken stock in your blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with fresh parsley garnished on top.
- This recipe freezes nicely, so make extra and portion it up for a quick side dish on a busy evening.
- Recipe Variations:
- Add a couple big handfuls of raw mixed greens before blending. It will make the mixture green, but it's an excellent way to get more dark leafy greens in the diet.
- Add 1 tsp. of Cajun blackening seasoning (learn how to make your own here) for a Tex-Mex inspired puree.