FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Read our full terms and conditions here.
I have tried countless curry powder blends and none of them have ever tasted “right”. I have a pre-determined idea in my head about how curry is supposed to taste, based on dishes from a few of my favorite local Indian restaurants. None of my curries at home ever tasted the same and it always made me sad, because I love, love, love curry.
Then, when I was on a trip down South visit my sister and her husband (owners of Mighty Grow Organics), she whipped up a batch of turkey vegetable curry and I was blown away. Turns out she makes her own blend and it was just what I had been looking for! This blend makes my curry dishes taste just like my favorite restaurant dishes. That said, feel free to adjust this recipe to suit your tastes. Curry blends vary, depending on the regions, spices available, and tastes of the chef, so most curry blend recipes can just be used as a base for creating your own, special blend.
This recipe is measured in “parts”, so that you can make as big or as little of a batch as you want. Remember to always keep your spices stored in airtight glass jars to help preserve the flavor. I like glass Fido jars for storing herbs and spices. The tight seal works wonders for preserving your spices.
Delicious Obsessions Product Recommendations
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Thrive Market has better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂
- I get all of my herbs and spices from Mountain Rose Herbs. I have tried so many other brands and have never found the quality, flavor, and aroma to be as good as the herbs I get from Mountain Rose.
Homemade Curry Powder Blend
I highly recommend the herbs from my affiliate partner, Mountain Rose Herbs. I find the quality of their products to be superior to other brands I’ve tried.
- 4 parts ground coriander
- 2 parts ground turmeric
- 2 parts ground yellow mustard powder
- 2 parts chile powder*
- 1 parts cayenne powder
- 1 parts ground cumin
- 1/2 parts ground cardamom
* The chili powder that I use (which I get from my health food store’s bulk spice section) is literally that — ground up chili peppers. It does not have any cumin, oregano, or other spices that are typically in chili powders. I realize that this ingredient could be confusing, since what I use as chili powder may not be what others use. You can always skip the chili powder and add in extra cayenne or another form of dried pepper. Or, add in the chili powder you have on hand. It all depends on your taste! 🙂
Place all of the spices in a bowl and stir together until well combined, making sure there are no lumps of any one spice. Transfer immediately to an airtight container, and store in a cool dry place. Use in any recipe calling for curry powder, like my curried chickpeas. or my simple chicken and vegetable curry recipe.