FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Read our full terms and conditions here.
I love Indian food and am starting to experiment with cooking more of it. For some reason cooking Indian food is intimidating to me. I think it’s because of all the spices that we Americans aren’t super familiar with. Plus, I’m always afraid it’s not going to taste as good as my favorite Indian restaurant here in Denver.
However, making a simple curry dish is so very easy and it’s really good for you. The main spice in curries and a lot of Indian seasonings is turmeric. Turmeric is what gives the yellow dishes their color (it has been called Indian saffron). Turmeric is also incredibly good for us. The main benefit is that it is an anti-inflammatory. Studies are being conducted to see if it can benefit Alzheimer’s disease and arthritis. The interest in this spice is rapidly increasing because of the potential benefits to various diseases.
Coupons and Freebies for Curried Chickpeas Ingredients
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Thrive Market has better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 can organic chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans)
- 1 can coconut milk (I prefer Aroy-D)
- 1 tbsp. crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin powder
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Cilantro as garnish
- Olive oil for sautéing
- Saute the onions and garlic together until lightly browned.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, and coconut milk stir together.
- Add spices and stir. Bring to a gentle simmer and then reduce heat to low and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Taste for salt.
- Serve as is or over rice.
- You can also add shredded or chopped chicken for a heartier main dish, but I find it’s plenty filling without meat!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Kasandrinos Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Redmond Real Sea Salt
McCormick Gourmet Organic Ground Cumin
Simply Organic Coriander
Organic Turmeric Powder - 1LB Jar - 100% Raw w/Curcumin From India - by Jiva Organics
Starwest Botanicals Organic Curry Powder Spice Blend, 1 Pound Bulk Bag
Aroy-d Coconut Milk
Westbrae Natural Organic Garbanzo Beans, 15 Ounce (Pack of 12)
Jovial Diced Tomatoes