Easy Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding (gluten and dairy free)

Easy Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding (gluten and dairy free) // deliciousobsessions.com #dairyfree #realfood #recipesforkids Follow Me on Pinterest

{Today, I am excited to welcome Raia from Raia’s Recipes to Delicious Obsessions. She is sharing a fast and easy dessert recipe with us today that sounds divine. If you’re in need of a rich chocolate fix with minimal work, this recipe is for you! ~Jessica}

What kid doesn’t love chocolate pudding?

I can still remember my mom’s smooth, thick homemade version. I loved it! In this simple recipe twist, I pair two of my favorite things: chocolate pudding and sweet potatoes!

Since my family shares my love of sweet potatoes, I like to bake up a bunch of them at a time. Some of the potatoes get served for dinner, and whatever doesn’t get eaten I cool and stick in the fridge to make into sweet potato cookies, or this yummy chocolate pudding.

Sweet potatoes are naturally high in potassium, a critical electrolyte that helps our muscles function properly, and beta-carotene, which our bodies convert into vitamin A (and we all know what that’s good for – our eyes!). Since vitamin A is fat-soluble, I’ve added a little healthy coconut oil to this pudding to help our bodies properly digest the overflowing amounts (plus, I just really like coconut oil).

Also contained in the mighty orange tuber are calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus, which work together for healthy bones, and betaine, which helps our cells retain water.

And of course, chocolate pudding’s nutritional benefit is in the form of happiness, which aids in digestion and overall well-being. ;)

My affiliate partner, Vitacost, has really good prices on some of the ingredients in this recipe. If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase from Vitacost, and when your order ships, I’ll get a $10 off coupon for referring you!

4.8 from 5 reviews
Easy Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding (gluten and dairy free)

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. All funds earned go to help support the maintenance of this site and free content. Thank you! :)
Author:
Recipe type: Dairy Free Dessert or Snack
Serves: 2
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
  2. Serve (doesn't get much easier than this, eh?)!

About Raia

RaiaRaia is the stay-at-home-mom of four crazy kids who loves to create simple and healthy recipes. After finding out she was gluten and egg intolerant in 2010 she started her recipe blog to share her love of gluten-free baking (and chocolate) with others. In her spare time she enjoys doing laundry and dishes… not really. Check out her blog, Raia’s Recipes, and follow her on Google +, Pinterest, or Facebook.

About Raia Torn

Raia is a homeschooling, stay-at-home-mom of four crazy kids. After the birth of her third child in 2010, she was diagnosed with “trauma induced gluten intolerance”. This discovery turned her whole-wheat-bread, pasta-filled life was turned upside down and set her on a mission to find out what healthy really meant for her family. Aspiring to encourage other moms wandering the allergen-infested isles of grocery stores, she started her blog, Raia’s Recipes, to share her love of simple, allergy-friendly baking (and chocolate). Her easy, healthy recipes prove that eating allergy-free doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive! When she’s not whipping up something new in the kitchen, Raia enjoys trying to keep the plants in her backyard garden alive, hanging out with her church family, eating (allergy-friendly) pizza, and dreaming about all the things she would do if she had an acre of land to homestead.

1. This looks really tasty. I love the fact that it is so easy to make.

Pam
    Posted 03/17/14

2. Who knew?! I had no idea that you could use sweet potatoes to make chocolate pudding. I pinned and am making it this weekend! Yay!! I can’t wait….
    Have a very terrific week!! :)
    x Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

Crystelle
    Posted 03/18/14

3. This looks really good. It’s also a good way to sneak more fiber into your diet. Pinning.

Joybee
    Posted 03/18/14

4. This looks really tasty. I can’t wait to try it. Thank you for posting. :)

I’m not sure you’re aware that your blog says you’ve affiliate partnered with Vitacost but the first three links in the recipe are to Tropical Traditions (and Vitacost is around $2 cheaper for the same cocoa). The vanilla is the only one that links to Vitacost.

I hope it’s alright to say this. Fell perfectly free to delete my comment if I was wrong in doing so. :)

Joy
    Posted 03/18/14

• Hi Joy – It depends on the specific ingredient as to where I purchase and I find that VC’s prices do change from time to time. It always pays to shop around! Enjoy! :)

Posted 03/19/14

5. I LOVE it!

I’ve been using the same basic recipe, only instead of sweet potatoes, I use ripe avocados. It tastes like chocolate pudding, and has the same rich texture.

I love “crazy” ideas that simply WORK!

Peace,
    db

db
    Posted 03/18/14

6. Wow, such an amazingly simple recipe and it looks so good. Can’t wait to make this at home. Thank you!

Clara
    Posted 03/19/14

7. It is delicious, it was very thick so i add bit non dairy milk… keeper

vera
    Posted 03/19/14

• Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and let me know how it turned out! :)

Posted 03/19/14

8. I can’t wait to try this -sounds like such a easy and healthy chocolate pudding!

vickie
    Posted 03/20/14

9. Raia, THIS sounds and looks excellent. I just made chocolate Mousse with avocado (similar recipe). Love the sweet potato! So healthy and naturally sweet. Did you feel there were any strings? that is my only question :) Glad to see you over at Deep Roots at Home…that is how I found your blog! Blessings!

• Hi Jaqueline! Thanks for stopping by; I’m glad you found my blog. ;) If you just use a hand mixer, or a fork (which I’ve tried) it will leave strings. But using a high powered blender or food processor will do the job. :) I hope you enjoy the pudding!

Raia
      Posted 03/20/14

10. I want to make this right this minute!! But I only have tiny sweet potatoes. Any idea of an approximate measurement in cups of what you ended up with after cooking & peeling? Thank you!

Kristy K
    Posted 03/20/14

• Thanks for asking, Kristy! I would say I usually use about 2 cups of mashed sweet potato for this recipe. Hope you enjoy it! :)

Raia
      Posted 03/20/14

11. Can I use home-canned sweet potatoes instead of fresh baked?

Penny
    Posted 03/20/14

12. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe. I’m a fellow blogger and host a weekly Food Allergy Love Fest Link-up. I’d love for you to consider linking up some of your recipes. So many of my readers would love to see recipes like this one. I’m going to make this recipe this weekend! Blessings.

Lauren
    Posted 03/20/14

13. Mmm, this looks delicious. I might try it with stevia to make a sugar free version :)

Jedha @Good Food Eating
    Posted 03/21/14

14. Wow this recipe sounds awesome! I love chocolate but I havent tried it with sweet potatoes yet. But it sounds interesting and I´m sure I´ll give it a try soon ;)

Best wishes
    Chrissi from http://chrissitallys.blogspot.de

Chrissitally
    Posted 03/21/14

15. I’ve done the avocado chocolate pudding thing {& love it}, but I never thought to try sweet potatoes – great idea! {Linked over from Unprocessed Fridays}

Dena Norton
    Posted 03/21/14

16. Does the coconut oil have to be virgin? I have LouAnna 100% pure coconut oil. But is not virgin. I have read in other places that if it is not cooked it should be extra virgin coconut oil. Do you know? Thanks, I look foward to trying this recipe!

Shannon Alexander
    Posted 03/24/14

• Hi Shannon – There are two kinds of coconut oil: Refined and Virgin. Both are good for you. The virgin will retain the taste/scent of coconuts and the refined will be neutral in taste. Hope you enjoy the recipe! :)

Posted 03/24/14

17. AMAZING !!
    Sweet potatoes in chocolate pudding – woww
    This is definitely something I need to try :)

Winnie
    Posted 03/25/14

18. Wow this looks so easy. I can’t wait to try this!

19. I’ve tried the avacado chocolate pudding and love it, so I’m curious to try out other healthy alternative ingredients. I do not, however, like sweet potatoes AT ALL. can you taste the sweet potato in this at all? I wish I could get myself to like them, I know they’re very healthy! This just might do the trick as long as I can’t taste the sweet potato!

Dawn
    Posted 04/09/14

• Hi Dawn – I personally don’t think you can taste the sweet potato in this pudding, but keep in mind that taste is subjective. What I taste and what you taste may be completely different. :)

Posted 04/09/14

20. We made this for breakfast this morning and apparently I’m the best mother ever. Thank you.

tessa
    Posted 04/09/14

21. I love all things sweet potato and chocolate- this looks wonderful! Thanks so much for posting it!

Tracy Spangler (@MzRueAnn)
    Posted 04/11/14

22. these look amazing!!! I am currently a graphic design student at University of Wisconsin Stout. Our current project is to make a magazine, I am doing a health food magazine focused on sweet potatoes. I would love to be able to include this recipe along with some of the photography please let me know if this would be okay with, and if so how you would like it cited. It will not be distributed simply printed for class.
    Emily Gawronski

Emily
    Posted 04/25/14

• Hi Emily – Thanks for stopping by! I am fine with you using the recipe in your class project, as long as Raia, the author of the recipe, is. I’ll message her and see if she can swing by and give us an answer! :) If she gives you the OK, credit should be given to: Raia Torn, recipe author and photographer / http://www.deliciousobsessions.com and http://www.raiasrecipes.com.

Posted 04/27/14

• Thank you so much for responding so quickly, and is there any way that you could email me high resolution photos? (tennismennis at gmail.com)

Emily
        Posted 04/28/14

• Hi Emily! Thanks for asking! That would totally be fine with me. :) Do we get to see a copy of your magazine? ;) It sounds good!

Raia
      Posted 04/27/14

23. I made this recipe today…it’s very tasty but the texture is obviously a little different than pudding. I added a little almond milk to loosen it up a bit. I think I will prepare some coconut cream to top it with. This would be a great way to get young children to eat healthy. If they never had the real pudding they would never know the difference.

Victoria C.
    Posted 05/10/14

24. OH MY! This is sheer genius!
    And SO delicious!!
    I made a small batch (as directed) for myself a few weeks ago and tomorrow I’m bringing a BIG batch that I made to serve 12 at my Yoga Training Seminar Lunch. THEY WILL LOVE IT… just like I do.
    THANK YOU!

Jana
    Posted 05/30/14

25. One of the easiest and most satisfying chocolate snacks you can make and eat. I sometimes add some unsweetened coconut to the pudding to switch it up a little, but it’s very good without it as well. Love this recipe!

Becky
    Posted 09/13/14

26. When you say sweet potatoes, are you talking the orange fleshed yams or the yellow fleshed sweet potatoes? The two are often used interchangeably, and they’re different items. Thanks.

Wes
    Posted 09/29/14

• Hi Wes – You could use either one. There are over 400 varieties of true sweet potatoes around the world, with colors ranging from dark orange to white. There are also over 600 varieties of yams, so it’s easy to see why people get confused! In this recipe, you could use either one! Hope you enjoy! :)

Posted 09/29/14

• Thank you for the quick response! I’m going to try the standard garnet yam first since they’re sweeter and have more moisture content. With these ingredients, I’m sure it’ll be delicious regardless. And, easy to adjust if needed.

Wes
        Posted 09/30/14

• Absolutely! I think any variety would be tasty, but that is a good thought regarding the sweetness and moisture. Enjoy! :)

Posted 09/30/14

27. Mmm! I found this on Pinterest, and tried it this morning for breakfast with some fresh raspberries. I wonder how it would be frozen as pudding pops–may have to try that!

Mandi
    Posted 10/06/14

28. I just happened across this recipe and it sounds delicious. I have a propensity of pumpkin and am going to try substituting it for the sweet potato. I bet it will be as good!

Margaret
    Posted 11/10/14

29. I made this recipe, thinned it out a bit with some apple juice, then dehydrated it into leather for a camping trip. Turned out great!

Melanie @Frugal Kiwi
    Posted 11/27/14

30. My daughter is allergic to all things coconut. What could we substitute for it in this yummy sounding recipe?

Mary Janiczek
    Posted 11/27/14

• Hi Mary – We’ve never tried it with anything other than the coconut oil. You could try another oil of your choice or some butter and I think it should work OK!

Posted 11/28/14

31. I would love to try this! Just wondering if I could substitute the coconut oil for something else? Thanks! :)

Christy
    Posted 11/28/14

• Hi Christy – We’ve never tried it with anything other than coconut oil. You could try another oil of your choice or some butter. I think it should work OK!

Posted 11/28/14

32. how do we store this pudding? in the fridge, air tight container? has anyone tried saving it for a few days?

shelly
    Posted 11/30/14

• Hi Shelly – Yes, store it in an airtight container in the fridge. It should keep for a couple days.

Posted 11/30/14

33. I AM CERTAINLY making this but with butternut squash and a honey substitute!! YUM! :)

GiGi Eats