Make Your Own: Homemade Curry Powder Recipe

This post may contain affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product or service I wouldn’t use on my own family.

Eating healthy doesn't have to be hard, complicated, or expensive! 20 Dishes is here to help!

Homemade curry powder blend recipe Follow Me on Pinterest

I have tried countless curry powder blends and none of them have ever tasted “right”. I have a pre-determined idea in my head about how curry is supposed to taste, based on dishes from a few of my favorite local Indian restaurants. None of my curries at home ever tasted the same and it always made me sad, because I love, love, love curry.

Then, when I was on a trip down South visit my sister and her husband (owners of Mighty Grow Organics), she whipped up a batch of turkey vegetable curry and I was blown away. Turns out she makes her own blend and it was just what I had been looking for! This blend makes my curry dishes taste just like my favorite restaurant dishes. That said, feel free to adjust this recipe to suit your tastes. Curry blends vary, depending on the regions, spices available, and tastes of the chef, so most curry blend recipes can just be used as a base for creating your own, special blend.

This recipe is measured in “parts”, so that you can make as big or as little of a batch as you want. Remember to always keep your spices stored in airtight glass jars to help preserve the flavor. I like glass Fido jars for storing herbs and spices. The tight seal works wonders for preserving your spices.

Delicious Obsessions Product Recommendations

Mountain Rose Herbs is where I get all of my herbs and spices. Because of their exceptional products and customer service, I am happy to support them as one of my affiliate partners. I have tried many brands of herbs over the years and keep coming back to Mountain Rose.

My affiliate partner, Vitacost, has really good prices on some of the ingredients in this recipe. If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase from Vitacost, and when your order ships, I’ll get a $10 off coupon for referring you. The cool thing about this program is that you can then refer your family and friends through your own link and YOU can get the $10 coupons too! :)

Jessica is a real food wellness educator and the founder of the Delicious Obsessions website. She has had a life-long passion for food and being in the kitchen is where she is the happiest. She began helping her mother cook and bake around the age of three and she's been in the kitchen ever since, including working in a restaurant in her hometown for almost a decade, where she worked every position before finally becoming the lead chef. Jessica started Delicious Obsessions in 2010 as a way to help share her love for food and cooking. Since then, it has grown into a trusted online resource with a vibrant community of people learning to live healthy, happy lives through real food and natural living.

1. Hi Jessica,

That blend sounds great but I did have one question. Isn’t “chili powder” a blend? Is that what you meant? Is there a way to make this without using someone else’s blends?

Oops. That was three questions, wasn’t it? Oops, again…four questions. :)

Jackie
    Posted 10/11/12

• Hi Jackie – Yes, chili powder is a blend, and it is going to vary from brand to brand. The one that I use is actually dried and ground chili peppers. It has no cumin or other spices typically in chili powder in there. I should make a note of that on the recipe, as that is misleading. I didn’t even think about it, since this is the type of chili powder that I’ve always used! I’m going to go make a note of that. :)

Posted 10/13/12

• Hello Jessica,

If I may add my 2 cents worth, I think it should be called “Chilli Powder”. I buy this at a local Korean store to use when making Kim Chee.

My understanding is that it is as you mention, just ground Chile Peppers with no other added spices. The two “L’s” may help clear up the confusion with the spice blend that is normally used to make chili soup.

Sonny
        Posted 05/18/14

• Thanks for the comment Sonny! I actually just found out recently that it should be “Chile” powder with an “e” and not an “i”, so I updated the recipe! Cheers!

Posted 05/21/14

2. I’m so glad you posted this! I lost my own recipe. Haha! Making a huge pot of coconut chicken curry today with veggies harvested 100% from our gardens and greenhouse. Wish you were here!

Anne LaBelle
    Posted 12/23/12

• That sounds like something I would do! :) YUM!!!!! Please enjoy a big plate of it for me! :)

Posted 12/24/12

3. I just wanted to say at first I could not wrap my head about the “parts” but then I just inserted “tablespoon” and then I could figure it out. :-) By the way, this is my most favorite curry in the world. I have never had any this delicious, ever. Thanks for sharing with us!

Starlene
    Posted 01/18/13

• Hi Starlene – So glad you liked it! It tastes (to me) just like my fave restaurant. Since I can’t eat there anymore, I am happy to have a homemade sub! :)

Posted 01/19/13

4. I am looking to make bulk batches of curry, preferably from whole spices hand-ground in a stone mortar & pestle (to season it). I look forward to trying this blend out and seeing if it’s the cut.

I was drawn to your blend because of the cardamom – which many internet blends seem to be missing. Thank you for posting this!

Brian
    Posted 01/29/13

• Hi Brian – I hope you enjoy! Thank you for stopping by and commenting! :)

Posted 02/01/13

5. I’ve got two questions,

coriander in the recipe refers to the green leafy part or the seeds?

yellow mustard = seeds?

sorry to sound so dumb, i am new to spices 😛

Annie
    Posted 01/30/13

• Hi Annie – It would be the seeds, dried and ground. I buy mine already ground, but you can also grind your own in a coffee grinder. Same with the yellow mustard – I buy mine ground, but you could also grind your own! No worries at all — does this help? :)

Posted 01/30/13

• yes, thank you so much Jessica :)

Annie
        Posted 01/30/13

6. After making a couple of batches with this mix – one chicken, one pork – personally I found too much turmeric, not enough cumin, so for the second batch I reversed the proportions and found a better mix, at least for my tastes. Of course, that’s the advantage to mixing your own spices – you can adjust as you need!

Werrf
    Posted 03/24/13

• Hi Werrf – Thanks for stopping by! Yes, that is the beauty of making your own spice blends! You can tweak everything to suit your own personal tastes! Enjoy! :)

Posted 03/25/13

7. Hi Jesdica,
    This recipe sounds so delicious but I have a son that is allergic to mustard!!!…..Do you have any suggestions for a substitute for it?

Laurie
    Posted 05/10/14

• Hi Laurie – There really is no substitute for it, but you could just leave it out and the mix should still taste fine. :)

Posted 05/11/14

8. Thank you so much for this. Made my first curry ever. Turned out so well. DIY spice blends make avoiding allergies so much easier. Yours was the first blend that didn’t contain paprika (allergen for me), and had lots of other spices I do like. My husband and I couldn’t get enough.

Tina T.
    Posted 11/28/14

• Awesome Tina! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I am really glad you enjoyed this blend — it’s one of my faves! :)

Posted 11/28/14

9. Woohoo, I’ve been searching in vain for a curry powder that’s hot enough for my tastes, and this one is it! Thanks so much–I just mixed up a batch and will be using it in a chickpea curry tonight. 😀

Sam (the Quantum Vegan)
    Posted 12/11/14

• Awesome! Hope you enjoy it! You could always kick the heat up a notch if this one is too mild! :)

Posted 12/11/14

10. Making your own (good) curry is no easy feat. I like that you use ground chilies in yours. That’s not something everyone knows to do.

Chef Zieg
    Posted 02/12/15

• Hi Chef! Thanks for stopping by! I am glad you liked this recipe. There are so many different curry blends out there. This is just the one that tastes the best to me! :)

Posted 02/12/15

11. I get my spices from an Indian and Pakistani food store and I grind my own and use as I go because it is fresher that way

Benazir
    Posted 01/15/16

• I agree that fresh is always more tasty! :) Making it ahead is helpful for people who are super busy though, which is why I always keep small batches on hand for when I am rushed and need it fast!

Posted 01/18/16

12. Hello Jessica,
    Just dropped in to say THANK YOU So Much.

Got on your page while cruising the eating habits and the spices that people across world consume.

Truly Nice Recipe for Curry Powder, Went through the whole conversation from top to bottom, really worth reading.
    I am from India and for us Chile powder is purely grounded Chile powder and nothing else until you don’t find any other ingredients on the back of the packet, if not declared than its not permitted to be there in the packet, its crime, Yes there might be a blend of different kind of Chile’s to controll or to set the spiceness and the fineness after grinding but it has to be Chile only.

One good thing that I got to learn that many people across globe are allergic to mustard & peanuts, might be because of its high oil contents and every body has different tendency to react on oil especially.

Sunil
    Posted 01/28/16

• Hi Sunil! thanks for stopping by! Yes, there is a bit of confusion here regarding chile / chile powder. I ended up getting so many questions about it that I had to add the note at the bottom! Thanks for taking the time to write! :)

Posted 01/31/16