Make Your Own: Homemade Curry Powder Recipe

Homemade curry powder blend recipe Follow Me on Pinterest

I have tried countless curry powder blends and none of them have ever tasted “right”. I have a pre-determined idea in my head about how curry is supposed to taste, based on dishes from a few of my favorite local Indian restaurants. None of my curries at home ever tasted the same and it always made me sad, because I love, love, love curry.

Then, when I was on a trip down South visit my sister and her husband (owners of Mighty Grow Organics), she whipped up a batch of turkey vegetable curry and I was blown away. Turns out she makes her own blend and it was just what I had been looking for! This blend makes my curry dishes taste just like my favorite restaurant dishes. That said, feel free to adjust this recipe to suit your tastes. Curry blends vary, depending on the regions, spices available, and tastes of the chef, so most curry blend recipes can just be used as a base for creating your own, special blend.

This recipe is measured in “parts”, so that you can make as big or as little of a batch as you want. Remember to always keep your spices stored in airtight glass jars to help preserve the flavor. I like glass Fido jars for storing herbs and spices. The tight seal works wonders for preserving your spices.

Delicious Obsessions Product Recommendations

Mountain Rose Herbs is where I get all of my herbs and spices. Because of their exceptional products and customer service, I am happy to support them as one of my affiliate partners. I have tried many brands of herbs over the years and keep coming back to Mountain Rose.

My affiliate partner, Vitacost, has really good prices on some of the ingredients in this recipe. If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase from Vitacost, and when your order ships, I’ll get a $10 off coupon for referring you. The cool thing about this program is that you can then refer your family and friends through your own link and YOU can get the $10 coupons too! :)

1. Hi Jessica,

That blend sounds great but I did have one question. Isn’t “chili powder” a blend? Is that what you meant? Is there a way to make this without using someone else’s blends?

Oops. That was three questions, wasn’t it? Oops, again…four questions. :)

Jackie
    Posted 10/11/12

• Hi Jackie – Yes, chili powder is a blend, and it is going to vary from brand to brand. The one that I use is actually dried and ground chili peppers. It has no cumin or other spices typically in chili powder in there. I should make a note of that on the recipe, as that is misleading. I didn’t even think about it, since this is the type of chili powder that I’ve always used! I’m going to go make a note of that. :)

Posted 10/13/12

• Hello Jessica,

If I may add my 2 cents worth, I think it should be called “Chilli Powder”. I buy this at a local Korean store to use when making Kim Chee.

My understanding is that it is as you mention, just ground Chile Peppers with no other added spices. The two “L’s” may help clear up the confusion with the spice blend that is normally used to make chili soup.

Sonny
        Posted 05/18/14

• Thanks for the comment Sonny! I actually just found out recently that it should be “Chile” powder with an “e” and not an “i”, so I updated the recipe! Cheers!

Posted 05/21/14

2. I’m so glad you posted this! I lost my own recipe. Haha! Making a huge pot of coconut chicken curry today with veggies harvested 100% from our gardens and greenhouse. Wish you were here!

Anne LaBelle
    Posted 12/23/12

• That sounds like something I would do! :) YUM!!!!! Please enjoy a big plate of it for me! :)

Posted 12/24/12

3. I just wanted to say at first I could not wrap my head about the “parts” but then I just inserted “tablespoon” and then I could figure it out. :-) By the way, this is my most favorite curry in the world. I have never had any this delicious, ever. Thanks for sharing with us!

Starlene
    Posted 01/18/13

• Hi Starlene – So glad you liked it! It tastes (to me) just like my fave restaurant. Since I can’t eat there anymore, I am happy to have a homemade sub! :)

Posted 01/19/13

4. I am looking to make bulk batches of curry, preferably from whole spices hand-ground in a stone mortar & pestle (to season it). I look forward to trying this blend out and seeing if it’s the cut.

I was drawn to your blend because of the cardamom – which many internet blends seem to be missing. Thank you for posting this!

Brian
    Posted 01/29/13

• Hi Brian – I hope you enjoy! Thank you for stopping by and commenting! :)

Posted 02/01/13

5. I’ve got two questions,

coriander in the recipe refers to the green leafy part or the seeds?

yellow mustard = seeds?

sorry to sound so dumb, i am new to spices :P

Annie
    Posted 01/30/13

• Hi Annie – It would be the seeds, dried and ground. I buy mine already ground, but you can also grind your own in a coffee grinder. Same with the yellow mustard – I buy mine ground, but you could also grind your own! No worries at all — does this help? :)

Posted 01/30/13

• yes, thank you so much Jessica :)

Annie
        Posted 01/30/13

6. After making a couple of batches with this mix – one chicken, one pork – personally I found too much turmeric, not enough cumin, so for the second batch I reversed the proportions and found a better mix, at least for my tastes. Of course, that’s the advantage to mixing your own spices – you can adjust as you need!

Werrf
    Posted 03/24/13

• Hi Werrf – Thanks for stopping by! Yes, that is the beauty of making your own spice blends! You can tweak everything to suit your own personal tastes! Enjoy! :)

Posted 03/25/13

7. Hi Jesdica,
    This recipe sounds so delicious but I have a son that is allergic to mustard!!!…..Do you have any suggestions for a substitute for it?

Laurie
    Posted 05/10/14

• Hi Laurie – There really is no substitute for it, but you could just leave it out and the mix should still taste fine. :)

Posted 05/11/14