FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. Read our full terms and conditions here.
I love making my own spice blends at home and this homemade pumpkin pie spice blend recipe is no different. It allows me to control the quality of the ingredients, ensures that I have no undesirable additives, and also allows me to customize the flavor to suit my tastes. I used to just purchased the bulk pumpkin pie spice (and other spice blends) from my health food store, but then I decided it would actually be cheaper for me to make it myself. I typically have all of the spices on hand anyways, why not just skip a step.
I have been making my own spice blends for years, but for some reason, it didn’t occur to me until this summer that I should share them here. Traditional pumpkin pie spice is typically just four simple ingredients: Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, and Nutmeg. That’s all I use for mine as well, with the addition of one extra ingredient — cardamom. I find that the cardamom adds a depth of flavor to the spice that I really like. I know some people are not a fan of cardamom, so feel free to omit it. Also, if you like one spice more than the other, by all means, adjust the recipe to suit your own tastes. Some people may also throw Allspice in there, and if you’re a fan, toss it in there!
I use this pumpkin pie spice in a variety of recipes, from pumpkin bread to smoothies to my herbal “coffee”. And, of course, in classic pumpkin pie. Also, homemade pie spices make wonderful gifts, so make a huge batch and share with loved ones!
Delicious Obsessions Product Recommendations
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Thrive Market has better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂
- I get all of my herbs and spices from Mountain Rose Herbs. I have tried so many other brands and have never found the quality, flavor, and aroma to be as good as the herbs I get from Mountain Rose.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
- 4 tbsp. ground cinnamon (I love Vietnamese cinnamon)
- 1 tbsp. ground ginger (use less if you don’t like it as spicy)
- 2 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp. ground cardamom
Mix all the ingredients together until thoroughly combined. Store in an airtight jar in a dark cupboard to extend the freshness.