FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. Read our full terms and conditions here.
OK. It’s summer. Many people I know have gardens and they have zucchini coming out of their ears. While I don’t have any growing in my garden, I have been eating my fill of local organic zucchini and I am loving it! It is one of my favorite summertime vegetables. But, I am always trying to figure out new ways to fix it. The other night, I was craving something fried — something breaded and fried. So, I looked in the fridge to assess what I had on hand and low and behold, zucchini fries were born!
I’m not going to give you proportions for this recipe. How much you need is going to depend on how big of a batch you’re cooking. The first time I made these, I used 2 small zucchini, 2 eggs, and 1.5 cups of coconut flour. Oh, and make sure you always get organic zucchini (and yellow summer squash) to avoid GMOs.
Coupons and Freebies for Zucchini Fries Ingredients
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Thrive Market has better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂
- I get all of my herbs and spices from Mountain Rose Herbs. I have tried so many other brands and have never found the quality, flavor, and aroma to be as good as the herbs I get from Mountain Rose.
Zucchini Fries – Gluten-Free and Grain-Free
I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend.
- Organic zucchini, cut into fry-like pieces
- Coconut flour (buy here)
- Pastured eggs
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Palm shortening or coconut oil for frying (buy here)
1. Wash your zucchini and cut into fry-like pieces. If they are wet or damp, dry the pieces off, so there is no excess water on them.
2. In a frying pan, start heating your coconut oil or palm shortening over medium heat.
3. In a shallow bowl, beat your eggs well.
4. In a separate shallow bowl, mix your coconut flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder until combined. Make sure there are no big clumps of the coconut flour.
5. Take your zucchini pieces and roll in the flour until coated. Then, dip in the egg. Then, roll in the flour again. Place in the hot oil.
6. Make sure your oil doesn’t get too hot, or it will start smoking and will burn the fries. Once my oil was heated, I had to turn the burner down to medium-low to keep it at a safe heat.
7. Using a fork or a pair of tongs, flip the fries until they are golden brown on each side. Careful when turning them or else you’ll knock all the breading off. I found a fork worked best. The fries took about 5-6 minutes total cook time for me.
8. Remove from oil and place on a plate with a paper towel to absorb the oil. You can also place the cooked fries on a sheet pan and keep them in the oven to stay crispy. If you are making a whole bunch, I would heat the oven to 300 and place the fries in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
9. Once they’re all fried, you’re ready to eat! They taste amazing plain, but they would also be great with a dipping sauce of your choice! My personal fave would be ranch dressing!
10. If you have leftovers, you can store them in the fridge and just reheat in the oven at 350-375 until crispy.