Coconut Flour Pie Crust – Gluten and Grain Free

FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission on your sale which allows me to cover a portion of the cost of running the Delicious Obsessions site and free content we provide every week. This has no effect on your price and is simply a cost of doing business from the company you purchase from. I only recommend products or services that I have personally tried and love. You can view it like leaving a tip. Thank you for your support!

Gluten Free pie crust recipe - Coconut flour pie crust recipe Follow Me on Pinterest

I know pie crusts are one of the easiest things to make, but for some reason, I have always had trouble making them. In the “old days”, I would just buy the pre-made crusts, but recently, I decided that i needed to just suck it up and come up with a recipe for a homemade crust. In addition, I wanted one that was gluten free. After some experimenting, I came up with the following. Tastes great with sweet and savory dishes alike.

NOTE: Please keep in mind that I do not promote unethical products. The only palm products I use are from Tropical Traditions because they DO NOT come from South East Asia where the destruction is taking place. I do not use palm products from any other vendor for this reason. This is what they had to say when I asked them about their products:

“Virgin Palm Oil is palm oil that is traditionally made and maintains the natural nutrients of carotenes (precursors to Vitamin A) and the antioxidant tocotrienols (Vitamin E). Palm oil comes from a tropical palm tree (elaeis guineensis – NOT the same as coconut palm trees), which is native to the tropical areas of Africa, where it grows wild. It is a traditional oil used for more than 5000 years in African countries, where small-scale family farms flourish. The palm oil palm was introduced to South East Asia in the early 1900s, and Malaysia is now the world leader in exports of palm oil (Tropical Traditions does NOT source palm oil from there.) Being an introduced crop to Asia, they are mainly harvested from large plantations. Tropical Traditions Virgin Palm Oil comes from West Africa, NOT South East Asia. You can be sure we are not selling anything from Sumatra or areas destroying habitat. That’s not who we are as a company. Our palm oil pages make this clear also. Our palm shortening, for example, comes from South America and is certified by ProForest. Our virgin palm oil comes from Africa produced sustainably by small-scale producers.”

Delicious Obsessions Product Recommendations

My affiliate partner, Tropical Traditions, is where I get all of my coconut products from and if you make a purchase from them through any of my links, you will receive a free copy of their Virgin Coconut Oil book, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.

Jessica is a real food wellness educator and the founder of the Delicious Obsessions website. She has had a life-long passion for food and being in the kitchen is where she is the happiest. She began helping her mother cook and bake around the age of three and she's been in the kitchen ever since, including working in a restaurant in her hometown for almost a decade, where she worked every position before finally becoming the lead chef. Jessica started Delicious Obsessions in 2010 as a way to help share her love for food and cooking. Since then, it has grown into a trusted online resource with a vibrant community of people learning to live healthy, happy lives through real food and natural living.

1. I am crazy about coconut flour and can’t wait to make this pie crust! Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays! Be sure to check back next week for recipe highlights (including the top 3 reader choice submissions and hostess favorites).

Be Well!

2. I have been looking for more gluten-free pie crusts to try since the last one I tried wasn’t what I was hoping for. I have palm shortening coming from Tropical Traditions so I should have all the ingredients I need next weekend. Thanks for sharing this recipe (saw it on Twitter).

3. Is there any substitution for Palm oil that will work?

Judy
    Posted 08/20/12

• Hi Judy – This recipe calls for palm shortening, rather than palm oil. They’re two different things, so I wanted to make sure I clarified that, just in case it made a difference for you. If you don’t want to use palm shortening, then the next best thing would be coconut oil or regular butter. You’ll want both to be cold and in a firm state, rather than melted. Let me know if that helps 🙂

Posted 08/20/12

4. Could this work for pocket/hand pies?

Caroline
    Posted 11/12/12

• Hi Caroline – I don’t think that this will work well for hand pies. Because there is no gluten, it does not have the same consistency as a wheat-based crust and tends to be more tender and apt to break. If you do try it out, let me know how it goes! 🙂

Posted 11/13/12

5. I am going to try this crust for a pumpkin pie. Would I still bake it first, then add the filling and bake it again? Or would I just add the filling on top of the raw pie crust and bake?? Thanks!

Bobbi Kenow
    Posted 11/16/12

• Hi Bobbi – I always par-bake mine first and then add then add the filling and bake. I found that if I added filling to the raw crust, it didn’t seem to cook properly and the bottom crust was left a little “raw” tasting. I hope you enjoy! 🙂

Posted 11/16/12

6. This would be fabulous filled with chocolate avocado pudding!

Cathy
    Posted 09/19/13

• Oh boy! That sounds heavenly! 🙂

Posted 09/20/13

7. Do you think this recipe could be put on the bottom of small baking bowls (like ramekins) and also then topping the bowl in order to make a pot pie that has the crust all around the ingredients? I would think the bottom portion would need to be baked for a few minutes, allowed to cool (as I’d be using coconut oil vs palm shortening), then adding the pot pie filling (pre-made chicken, such as from making chicken broth along with veggies and the “gravy”), then covered with more crust? Think that would work?

Nancy
    Posted 09/25/13

• Hi Nancy – I think that should work with no problem, though I’ve never made a pot pie with this crust. I was, however, just on my friend KerryAnn’s site and saw that she has a recipe for a Grain-Free Pot Pie that looks amazing! You could always give her crust a try if you’d like: http://www.intentionallydomestic.com/grain-free-pot-pie/. Enjoy! 🙂

Posted 09/27/13

8. love the idea of adding coconut to the pie crust, I think I will use it to make a banana cream pie, they just seem to go together.

Chef William
    Posted 11/25/13

• Hi Chef William – Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoy!

Posted 11/25/13

9. Will chia eggs or flax seed eggs work in place of real eggs?

Lois
    Posted 03/14/14

10. Wow! Thank you so much for this post. You hit all of my key issues in switching to (and staying) gluten-free. I’ve become hesitant when I see an amazing photo and the phrase “gluten free”. Usually it means there are 15 strange ingredients in the “dry mix” or there are 18 steps to accomplishing the same look (involving kitchen equipment I don’t own… for a reason). You’ve explained how to work with the dough and you’ve accomplished all of this with just 5 ingredients. I’m up for the challenge. (And I already own a pie dish!!!)

Very Gratefully,
    Lorraine

Lorraine
    Posted 12/20/14

• Hi Lorraine! Yes, most gluten free packaged foods are no better than regular packaged foods. Many are highly processed and refined, but get away with being “healthy” because they use organic ingredients. Just because something says organic or gluten free doesn’t mean it’s healthy! 🙂 I hope you like the crust and let me know if you have any questions! 🙂

Posted 12/21/14

11. Can this work without the shredded coconut?

Tyhia
    Posted 01/24/15

• Hi Tyhia – Yes, it should work fine without the shreds. You may need to add a tiny bit more coconut flour.

Posted 01/24/15

12. I also only use Tropical Traditions. They have great products. I love their coconut oil and their organic corn (for grinding corn meal) and some other grains.

Sandra
    Posted 02/16/15

• Love their products! Such great quality! I try different brands and keep coming back to them. 🙂

Posted 02/17/15

13. I want to make my crust a week in advance. Can I freeze the crust once baked and then take it out and put the filling in and then bake the pie? Or make the pie and then freeze it?

Carolyn
    Posted 11/06/15

• Hi Carolyn, Thanks for stopping by! You know, we have not tried it this way, so we don’t know for sure, but I think it should work to par-bake the crust and then freeze it. When you’re ready to use it, remove from the freezer and add your filling and bake. We will try to remember to test this theory out next time we make a batch and will add a note to the recipe once we do. Have a great day! 🙂 ~ Kelly M, Jessica’s Assistant.

Kelly Matsudaira