I know pie crusts are one of the easiest things to make, but for some reason, I have always had trouble making them. In the “old days”, I would just buy the pre-made crusts, but recently, I decided that i needed to just suck it up and come up with a recipe for a homemade crust. In addition, I wanted one that was gluten free. After some experimenting, I came up with the following. Tastes great with sweet and savory dishes alike.
Gluten Free Pie Crust
makes 1 thick crust or 2 thin crusts - I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend.
3/4 cup sifted coconut flour
1/2 cup palm shortening
1/2 cup shredded coconut
2 pastured eggs
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 375.
2. Whiz the coconut flour, shredded coconut, and salt in a food processor and pulse until well combined.
3. Add the eggs and palm shortening and continue to pulse until the dough forms a ball.
4. Remove the dough from the food processor. If you want two crusts, split the mixture in two at this point. You can refrigerate this dough if you’re not quite ready to make your crusts.
5. Since this has no gluten in it, you won’t be able to roll this crust out as easily as you would a normal wheat pie crust. I’ve found the easiest way to work the dough is to place the mixture in your pie plate and press firmly into the pan, working it evenly up the sides and along the bottom of the dish. I use a small, smooth drinking glass to roll out the dough in the pan and it works pretty well.
6. Using a fork, poke some holes in the bottom of the crust.
7. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Remove and let cool completely before adding your favorite pie fillings. It also works great for quiches.
*Advertisements from my trusted affiliate partners*