This Creamy Coconut Green Chili Chicken Soup is the perfect way to warm up on a cold, blustery winter day. It’s also great if you’re feeling a little under the weather, as it is jam-packed with nourishing ingredients to help fight off those bugs.
The rich, creamy coconut broth is the perfect compliment to tender chicken and mildly spicy green chilies. The soup packs a very subtle punch of heat, but nothing overwhelming. Just make sure you use MILD green chilies and not HOT! Not that I know anything about that…
I really love soup and usually make a batch of some sort of soup every week. I eat soup for lunch daily. It’s an easy way to eat a lot of vegetables and get the gut-healing benefit of bone broth, which is something we all need. In addition, I especially love soup recipes that I can make in the slow cooker. I love being able to toss a bunch of ingredients in one pot and then I can set it and forget it. Before I know it, I have a healthy, nourishing meal ready to go. It really doesn’t get much better than that, eh?
This soup does freeze well, so if you wanted to double the recipe and save some for a later date, it would re-heat wonderfully. If you can tolerate dairy, you could use heavy cream in place of the coconut milk, but you would miss out on some of the rich flavor that the coconut brings to the soup.
- 2 pounds organic chicken breasts or thighs, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 6 carrots, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup diced mild green chilies
- 1 quart chicken stock (homemade is best)
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. cumin powder
- ½ tsp. coriander powder
- ¼ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp. coconut flour
- 1 cup coconut milk or coconut cream
- cilantro, for serving
- lime, for serving
- Dice your chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in crock-pot.
- Dice your onion and carrots and add to chicken.
- Add the diced green chilies, chicken stock, garlic, salt, cumin, coriander, and black pepper to crock pot.
- Stir until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- About 10 minutes before serving, stir in your coconut milk or cream and the coconut flour. The coconut flour will help thicken the soup just a little.
- Taste for salt and adjust as needed.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and a splash of lime juice.
*Advertisements from my trusted affiliate partners*
Short on time? Don’t know what to feed your family? Slow Cooker Freezer Recipes can help! Recipes are 95% grain, gluten, and dairy free and great for busy families.