Creamy Coconut Green Chili Chicken Soup (a dairy and gluten free slow cooker recipe)

This¬†Creamy Coconut Green Chili Chicken Soup is the perfect way to warm up on a cold, blustery winter day. It’s also great if you’re feeling a little under the weather, as it is jam-packed with nourishing ingredients to help fight off those bugs.

The rich, creamy coconut broth is the perfect compliment to tender chicken and mildly spicy green chilies. The soup packs a very subtle punch of heat, but nothing overwhelming. Just make sure you use MILD green chilies and not HOT! Not that I know anything about that…

I really love soup and usually make a batch of some sort of soup every week. I eat soup for lunch daily. It’s an easy way to eat a lot of vegetables and get the gut-healing benefit of bone broth, which is something we all need. In addition, I especially love soup recipes that I can make in the slow cooker. I love being able to toss a bunch of ingredients in one pot and then I can set it and forget it. Before I know it, I have a healthy, nourishing meal ready to go. It really doesn’t get much better than that, eh?

This soup does freeze well, so if you wanted to double the recipe and save some for a later date, it would re-heat wonderfully. If you can tolerate dairy, you could use heavy cream in place of the coconut milk, but you would miss out on some of the rich flavor that the coconut brings to the soup.

P.S. Did you know that soups and stews are an EXCELLENT source of gelatin if you use homemade stock? Sometimes, I even add a tablespoon or so of gelatin into my bowl of soup for added nutrition. If you want to learn more about gelatin and its benefits for our health, I highly recommend this book, The Gelatin Secret: The Surprising Superfood That Transforms Your Health and Beauty, from my affiliate partner, Sylvie McCracken. This book is packed with incredible information on how gelatin helps all aspects of our health and also features delicious recipes!

Gelatin-Secret

Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chili Chicken Soup (gluten and dairy free) // DeliciousObsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

5.0 from 2 reviews
Coconut Green Chili Chicken Soup (dairy and gluten free)

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. All funds earned go to help support the maintenance of this site and free content. Thank you! :)
Author:
Serves: 6
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Dice your chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in crock-pot.
  2. Dice your onion and carrots and add to chicken.
  3. Add the diced green chilies, chicken stock, garlic, salt, cumin, coriander, and black pepper to crock pot.
  4. Stir until well combined.
  5. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
  6. About 10 minutes before serving, stir in your coconut milk or cream and the coconut flour. The coconut flour will help thicken the soup just a little.
  7. Taste for salt and adjust as needed.
  8. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a splash of lime juice.

Short on time? Don’t know what to feed your family? Slow Cooker Freezer Recipes can help! Recipes are 95% grain, gluten, and dairy free and great for busy families.

freezercookingbook

1. I look forward to trying these recipes.

bonnie kirk
    Posted 01/17/14

2. The soup in the picture is much more white than mine came out…I hope it’s good!

Jennilee
    Posted 01/20/14

• Hi Jennilee – It could depend on the kind of coconut milk that you use. Some coconut milks are thicker and whiter than others. I have used all different kinds of coconut milk for it, but for the soup in this specific picture, I used the Aroy D coconut milk that comes in the tetra packs.

Posted 01/20/14

3. This may be a dumb question..but do you cook the chicken first?

Vanessa
    Posted 01/21/14

• Hi Vanessa – No need to cook the chicken first. That is the beauty of the crock pot. Just toss all the ingredients in there and let the crock pot do the work! Enjoy! :)

Posted 01/21/14

4. I’ve got this going in the crock pot now and snuck a taste a little while ago. It smells wonderful and tastes amazing and I haven’t even put in the coconut milk yet! I can’t wait!

Elisha
    Posted 01/21/14

5. I made this tonight. Literally some of the best soup I’ve ever had and I’m already planning on making it again. Thank you for the recipe.

Elisha
    Posted 01/21/14

• Awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to come back and leave a comment! So happy you enjoyed! :)

Posted 01/26/14

6. Made this for my supper tonight. I used canned mild green chilies, and they just didn’t have the spicy punch I was looking for so I added some red pepper flakes – I’d just use hot green chilis in the future. I’m not a huge fan of the texture the coconut flour gives it, so I think I might experiment with xanthan gum (a teeny bit) next time. All in all, a good recipe that I will make again. Thanks!

Jenny in Korea
    Posted 01/29/14

7. I made this and at the end and now for 3 hours after (out of th slow cooker and in a bowl) it’s foaming and bubbling. It’s releasing some gas of some kind. Has this happened to anyone? We used Chaokoh Coconut Milk and Let’s Do Organic Coconut Flour. This reaction only happened after adding that at the end…. So weird and super unsure if we should eat it!

Michelle S
    Posted 03/02/14

• Hi Michelle – That sounds really weird. I have never had something like that happen in all the times I’ve made this soup. I don’t imagine it is bad, it’s just weird. Very odd!

Posted 03/03/14

8. This has become one of my favourite soups – so easy and so delicious! Even my husband likes it, and he’s not into spicy foods the way I am. I have to admit the cup of chillis made me a little nervous, but once the coconut milk went in they mellowed right out. Fabulous!

Pip
    Posted 04/21/14

• Hi Pip! So happy to hear you enjoyed. I love this soup — I haven’t made it in awhile. I think this week I will whip up a batch! :)

Posted 04/22/14