Creamy Coconut Green Chili Chicken Soup (a dairy and gluten free slow cooker recipe)

This Creamy Coconut Green Chili Chicken Soup is the perfect way to warm up on a cold, blustery winter day. It’s also great if you’re feeling a little under the weather, as it is jam-packed with nourishing ingredients to help fight off those bugs.

The rich, creamy coconut broth is the perfect compliment to tender chicken and mildly spicy green chilies. The soup packs a very subtle punch of heat, but nothing overwhelming. Just make sure you use MILD green chilies and not HOT! Not that I know anything about that…

I really love soup and usually make a batch of some sort of soup every week. I eat soup for lunch daily. It’s an easy way to eat a lot of vegetables and get the gut-healing benefit of bone broth, which is something we all need. In addition, I especially love soup recipes that I can make in the slow cooker. I love being able to toss a bunch of ingredients in one pot and then I can set it and forget it. Before I know it, I have a healthy, nourishing meal ready to go. It really doesn’t get much better than that, eh?

This soup does freeze well, so if you wanted to double the recipe and save some for a later date, it would re-heat wonderfully. If you can tolerate dairy, you could use heavy cream in place of the coconut milk, but you would miss out on some of the rich flavor that the coconut brings to the soup.

Delicious Obsessions Trusted Product Recommendations

My affiliate partner, Vitacost, has really good prices on some of the ingredients in this recipe. If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase from Vitacost, and when your order ships, I’ll get a $10 off coupon for referring you. The cool thing about this program is that you can then refer your family and friends through your own link and YOU can get the $10 coupons too! :)

In addition, my affiliate partner, Tropical Traditions, is where I get all of my coconut products from and if you make a purchase from them through any of my links, you will receive a free copy of their Virgin Coconut Oil book, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.

Mountain Rose Herbs is where I get all of my herbs and spices. Because of their exceptional products and customer service, I am happy to support them as one of my affiliate partners. I have tried many brands of herbs over the years and keep coming back to Mountain Rose.

P.S. Did you know that soups and stews are an EXCELLENT source of gelatin if you use homemade stock? Sometimes, I even add a tablespoon or so of gelatin into my bowl of soup for added nutrition. If you want to learn more about gelatin and its benefits for our health, I highly recommend this book, The Gelatin Secret: The Surprising Superfood That Transforms Your Health and Beauty, from my affiliate partner, Sylvie McCracken. This book is packed with incredible information on how gelatin helps all aspects of our health and also features delicious recipes!

Gelatin-Secret

Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chili Chicken Soup (gluten and dairy free) // DeliciousObsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

5.0 from 3 reviews
Coconut Green Chili Chicken Soup (dairy and gluten free)

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. All funds earned go to help support the maintenance of this site and free content. Thank you! :)
Author:
Serves: 6
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Dice your chicken into bite-sized pieces and place in crock-pot.
  2. Dice your onion and carrots and add to chicken.
  3. Add the diced green chilies, chicken stock, garlic, salt, cumin, coriander, and black pepper to crock pot.
  4. Stir until well combined.
  5. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
  6. About 10 minutes before serving, stir in your coconut milk or cream and the coconut flour. The coconut flour will help thicken the soup just a little.
  7. Taste for salt and adjust as needed.
  8. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a splash of lime juice.

1. I look forward to trying these recipes.

bonnie kirk
    Posted 01/17/14

2. The soup in the picture is much more white than mine came out…I hope it’s good!

Jennilee
    Posted 01/20/14

• Hi Jennilee – It could depend on the kind of coconut milk that you use. Some coconut milks are thicker and whiter than others. I have used all different kinds of coconut milk for it, but for the soup in this specific picture, I used the Aroy D coconut milk that comes in the tetra packs.

Posted 01/20/14

3. This may be a dumb question..but do you cook the chicken first?

Vanessa
    Posted 01/21/14

• Hi Vanessa – No need to cook the chicken first. That is the beauty of the crock pot. Just toss all the ingredients in there and let the crock pot do the work! Enjoy! :)

Posted 01/21/14

4. I’ve got this going in the crock pot now and snuck a taste a little while ago. It smells wonderful and tastes amazing and I haven’t even put in the coconut milk yet! I can’t wait!

Elisha
    Posted 01/21/14

5. I made this tonight. Literally some of the best soup I’ve ever had and I’m already planning on making it again. Thank you for the recipe.

Elisha
    Posted 01/21/14

• Awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to come back and leave a comment! So happy you enjoyed! :)

Posted 01/26/14

6. Made this for my supper tonight. I used canned mild green chilies, and they just didn’t have the spicy punch I was looking for so I added some red pepper flakes – I’d just use hot green chilis in the future. I’m not a huge fan of the texture the coconut flour gives it, so I think I might experiment with xanthan gum (a teeny bit) next time. All in all, a good recipe that I will make again. Thanks!

Jenny in Korea
    Posted 01/29/14

7. I made this and at the end and now for 3 hours after (out of th slow cooker and in a bowl) it’s foaming and bubbling. It’s releasing some gas of some kind. Has this happened to anyone? We used Chaokoh Coconut Milk and Let’s Do Organic Coconut Flour. This reaction only happened after adding that at the end…. So weird and super unsure if we should eat it!

Michelle S
    Posted 03/02/14

• Hi Michelle – That sounds really weird. I have never had something like that happen in all the times I’ve made this soup. I don’t imagine it is bad, it’s just weird. Very odd!

Posted 03/03/14

8. This has become one of my favourite soups – so easy and so delicious! Even my husband likes it, and he’s not into spicy foods the way I am. I have to admit the cup of chillis made me a little nervous, but once the coconut milk went in they mellowed right out. Fabulous!

Pip
    Posted 04/21/14

• Hi Pip! So happy to hear you enjoyed. I love this soup — I haven’t made it in awhile. I think this week I will whip up a batch! :)

Posted 04/22/14

9. Thank you for this recipe! Haven’t made it yet but I’m planning on doing that. I cannot follow you on Pinterest – they changed something in their website so all I get I a big black screen when I search (and Pinterest people think it’s due to my security settings). I will save your sit in dairy free recipes though!

Janet C Fowler
    Posted 07/27/14

10. This may be a dumb question but does this have a coconut taste to it?

Nikki
    Posted 09/28/14

• Hi Nikki – I personally don’t think it does, as there is so much flavor from the chicken, spices, and green chilies. But, our taste buds are all different! :)

Posted 09/29/14

11. I am wondering if it is vital to put in the coconut milk 10 min before serving. I would love to make this and put it in the freezer for reheating later. Can I ask why it has to go in at the end?

Thanks!

Mary
    Posted 10/20/14

• Hi Mary – You know, when I was developing this recipe, I put the coconut milk in at the very beginning. When I came back a few hours later, it had separated. It almost looked like curdled milk if you added lemon juice to it. It still tasted fine, but didn’t look pretty. So, I re-did the recipe a couple more times and decided to start adding it in at the end to prevent the “curdling”. I’m not sure why it does that. I did only try one type of coconut milk though, so maybe I should re-make it with a variety of coconut milk brands and see if I have the same thing happen.

Posted 10/21/14