Thai Chicken Coconut Soup Recipe :: gluten free, dairy free, autoimmune option

Thai Chicken Coconut Soup Recipe Follow Me on Pinterest

I love, love, love this soup recipe. While I am a huge fan of soups and stews in general, this specific recipes is at the top of my all-time faves list.

It is the perfect balance of flavors. The nourishing broth, paired with vegetables and chicken, are all complimented by rich coconut milk and just the right amount of heat. The ginger and garlic give you an additional punch of nutrition.

You can tweak this recipe to suit your own tastes. Use whatever veggies and herbs you like. This is a must-have recipe to keep on hand during the cold and flu season. Not only is it delicious, but it is also very nourishing. Both chicken broth and coconut are great remedies for colds. This soup warms you up and is so comforting when you feel a little under the weather.

This recipe was inspired by the coconut chicken soup recipe in Nourishing Traditions. It evolved out of several different batches that I made. I just kept adding ingredients into the soup pot and finally reached a combination that I was happy with. Once you try it, I am certain it will be one of your familie’s favorites too!

Need some new soup and stew recipes? I have you covered with a section dedicated to soups and stews here.

P.S. Did you know that soups and stews are an EXCELLENT source of gelatin if you use homemade stock? Sometimes, I even add a tablespoon or so of gelatin into my bowl of soup for added nutrition.

If you want to learn more about gelatin and its benefits for our health, I highly recommend this book, The Gelatin Secret: The Surprising Superfood That Transforms Your Health and Beauty, from my affiliate partner, Sylvie McCracken. This book is packed with incredible information on how gelatin helps all aspects of our health and also features delicious recipes!

Gelatin-Secret

1. Yum! I am definitely going to make this on a chilly day!

Anne
    Posted 11/17/10

2. I’m confused.

I was thinking about making this and trying to figure out how many servings it is.

On the one hand, you have the recipe being prepared in a stockpot, which implies it’s a pretty big recipe if a Dutch oven isn’t big enough.

On the other hand, the entire liquid for the recipe is one quart of chicken broth and a can of coconut milk, which implies the recipe is under a half gallon total.

How much does this make?

jpatti
    Posted 02/03/12

• It makes 4-8 servings, depending on what else you serve with it and how much soup you or your family likes to eat at one time. “Large stock pot” to me is anything 6 quarts or bigger. Mine is a 6 quart stockpot, which gives me plenty of room to stir all the veggies and chicken together without it spilling out. It depends on how big your dutch oven is. There is such a wide range of sizes on dutch ovens. In total, this recipe will yield 2.5 – 3 quarts of soup, once you have all the ingredients AND the liquid.

Posted 02/04/12

3. I made this tonight and it was really good. Mild in flavor, comforting, with just a little kick. Will be adding to our rotation. Thanks!

April
    Posted 11/07/12

4. Do you think this could be made in a crockpot? What changes would you suggest? This looks very yummy!

Valerie
    Posted 01/07/13

• Hi Valerie – Yes, I think it could easily be made in the crock pot. I don’t really think there needs to be much changes, other than maybe browning the chicken and onions first, which adds a little flavor. But, I think you could toss in all of the ingredients and then just let the crock pot cook it all. Saves on some dishes! :)

Posted 01/07/13