FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. Read our full terms and conditions here.
Today I will show you just how easy it is to make bone broth in your Instant Pot. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, then what are you waiting for?! I’ve had one for a couple of years now and it is still my favorite kitchen appliance and gets used ALL. THE. TIME.
As I write this, it is the day after Thanksgiving, which means a lot of people have turkey bones leftover from their feast. Don’t throw those bones away! Make broth! It’s super fast and super easy!
I started making bone broth in my slow cooker, which required cooking for 12-24 hours on low in order to get the best-tasting broth. With the addition of the Instant Pot to my kitchen, I no longer use a slow cooker to make broth. As a matter of fact, I don’t even own a slow cooker anymore since my Instant Pot doubles as one. 🙂
I make bone broth using this method year round, but I will tell you a little secret — turkey broth is my all-time favorite. I don’t know what it is, but I find the taste of turkey broth so much better than beef or even chicken. I can just drink it by the cupful (with some butter, salt, and pepper)…YUM!
Frankly, there is no comparison between homemade broth and storebought broth. The flavor of homemade is so much richer. And since you are in control of the ingredients, you don’t have to worry about anything funky showing up in your broth (like MSG, preservatives, flavors, etc.). Have you checked out a box of conventional bone broth recently? They are filled with all sorts of weird things. Thankfully there are some very clean organic broth options available when you are in a pinch, but again, the flavor is not as great.
How to Make Bone Broth in an Instant Pot
It’s SUPER easy to make bone broth in an Instant Pot. Here’s a video that walks you through all the steps. Written instructions below the video.
Always save your veggie scraps and odds and ends bones in a zip top bag or another container in the freezer. Then make a batch of broth whenever you have enough to fill your pot.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet, hop over to Amazon and check them out. Amazon sometimes runs great sales on them at various times throughout the year so you never know when you might be able to snag one at a discount. But even if they are not on sale, they are worth every penny (in my opinion!).
Note: If you don’t have an Instant Pot, but have a traditional pressure cooker, here is a tutorial on how to make bone broth in a pressure cooker.
- 1 turkey carcass (cut or broken up into smaller pieces so they fit in your Instant Pot)
- 2 small carrots, rough chopped
- 1 small sweet onion (Vidalia is my fave), rough chopped
- 2 ribs celery, rough chopped
- 4-5 quarts of water
- Break down your turkey bones so they fit into your Instant Pot.
- Rough chop your carrots, onion, and celery and add to the pot with the bones.
- Pour your water into the pot, making sure you don't go past the max fill line.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and secure (make sure your rubber gasket is properly installed on the lid).
- Turn the Valve to closed, choose manual pressure, and 30 minutes (you can also do 60 minutes if you like).
- When the broth is done, release the pressure, and carefully remove the lid and remove the insert from the base (careful, it is HOT!).
- If using right away, CAREFULLY strain off the veggies and bones and you can use however you need.
- If storing for later, let the broth cool some and then strain off the veggies and bones, portion, and freeze.
More Instant Pot Recipes
We have a wide range of delicious recipes on this site using the Instant Pot. Here are some for you to check out!
- AIP “Chocolate” Cake in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot® Pumpkin Pie with Jaggery Crust (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Refined Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free Option)
- Easy Instant Pot Bacon Broccoli Frittata (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free)
- Instant Pot Spicy Orange Beef (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo)
- Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Soup in the Instant Pot (Gluten-Free & Grain-Free)
- 100+ Instant Pot Recipes (Healthy, Paleo, Primal, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, and/or Dairy-Free)
How to Use an Instant Pot
If you are brand new to using an Instant Pot, then you need to read this post here (or click on the image below).