FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission on your sale which allows me to cover a portion of the cost of running the Delicious Obsessions site and free content we provide every week. This has no effect on your price and is simply a cost of doing business from the company you purchase from. I only recommend products or services that I have personally tried and love. You can view it like leaving a tip. Thank you for your support!
As spring rolls around, we still see cool weather vegetables in the markets. Root vegetables, like sweet potatoes and carrots, and brassicas including cabbages, Brussels sprouts, and kale, line farmers market tables. These vegetables often lend themselves to heavier preparations, such as roasting or gratins. But as the sun shines brighter, I want our meals to feel lighter too!
So, instead of roasting vegetables for every meal, I tend to start sautéing more. Rather than using warm spices, I tend to gravitate towards fresh herbs and citrus to flavor my side dishes. Brussels sprouts are absolutely delicious when roasted in butter and flavored with garlic, but have you ever tried them lightly sautéed? Today's recipe for Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Lemon and Toasted Almonds is the perfect way to try this method.
Often, the main dish gets the most attention at any meal, but have you ever tried making a really tasty side dish and a fairly simple main? I love doing this because it's a huge time saver. You still get tons of flavor but don't need to spend time prepping and seasoning meat or fish. Just throw a little salt and pepper on you main and punch up the flavor with a great side!
These Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Lemon and Toasted Almonds are a tasty match for baked fish, grilled chicken, steaks, and even burgers. They have a fresh, light flavor from the lemon and a salty kick from the coconut aminos. The Brussels sprouts retain a little crunch when sautéed and the toasted almonds up the game just a bit more!
This side dish comes together in no time at all. Make use of those kitchen appliances and shred the Brussels sprouts in your food processor or on a mandoline. Of course, a sharp knife will work just as well! Toast the almonds while sautéing the Brussels sprouts and you will have a delicious side in about 15 minutes.
Do you love a flavorful side dish? Don't miss out on some of our other favorites: Turmeric Roasted Carrots, Simple Oven-Roasted Radishes, Garlic Roasted Green Beans, and Citrus and Thyme Roasted Carrots.
Coupons and Freebies for Shaved Brussels Sprouts Ingredients
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. All funds earned go to help support the maintenance of this site and free content. You can view it like leaving a tip. Thank you! 🙂 And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Vitacost: If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase.
- Tropical Traditions: If you make a purchase from them through this link, you will receive a free copy of their Virgin Coconut Oil book with your order.
Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Vitacost and Thrive Market have better deals. If you like saving money, it's good to shop around! 🙂
Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Lemon and Toasted Almonds
- 1 pound of Brussels sprouts, other leaves trimmed and sliced thinly with a food processor, mandoline, or knife
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and the shaved Brussels sprouts and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until just starting to soften.
- Add the lemon juice and coconut aminos to the pan and continue to sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the Brussels sprouts to your serving dish and top with slivered almonds and lemon zest.
If you enjoyed today's recipe, make sure to follow us on Pinterest for more delicious recipes just like this one!