You all know that I often discuss the importance of fermented foods! I think fermented foods are one of the best things that we can do to help boost our health. The key to true health lies in the gut and you won’t be able to achieve really good health unless you gut is in a really good place. In this great resource from Wardeh Harmon, she discusses the miracle of fermenting foods. You’ll learn why fermented and cultured foods are good for us and why making our own at home gives us the best bang for our buck. You’ll get tons of info on how to safely ferment, how to locate quality supplies, plus recipes to get you started! This is just one more of the awesome resources in the Extreme Health Library Bundle Sale! Sale ends Thursday (3/7)!
The Miracle of Fermenting Foods
by Wardeh Harmon
Fermented foods, lacto-fermented foods, naturally preserved foods, probiotic foods, cultured foods… heard of these? Wonder what the big deal is — want to dig a little deeper — want to finally get into this? Great!
When you ferment or culture foods, you make them better! Fermented foods are foods that have been cultured by beneficial organisms. In the right conditions, beneficial organisms feast on the food, producing beneficial acids, and transforming the food into something better. This culturing develops complex flavors and pleasing textures, while the food becomes more nutritious than it was before. And the acids preserve and protect the food from spoiling. It is really a miraculous process.
Not Just Sauerkraut. Fermenting foods covers a lot more than sauerkraut.
- Did you know you can ferment fruits, vegetables, beans, meats, dairy, and grains?
- You can even ferment condiments like mayonnaise that you use on a daily basis. Don’t be scared — these foods are so delicious.
Traditionally fermented foods contain vitamins, enzymes, and active cultures — conveying benefits to your gut, your immune system, and your digestion.
You can’t buy many of these true fermented foods in most grocery stores. The sauerkraut or pickles on the shelf are cooked-to-death veggies in white vinegar and are devoid of any beneficial organisms or nutrition. Sausages are pumped full of nitrates and fake flavors, rather than long fermented with beneficial organisms.
In the 155-page Lacto-Fermentation eBook by Wardeh Harmon, you’ll learn how to lacto-ferment foods at home, saving money, boosting nutrition, and taking your cooking skills to a new level. This home-study resource, regularly priced at $20, includes:
- 23 lessons teaching you step by step how to safely ferment foods of all kinds;
- the what, why, and how of each topic;
- information on cultures and supplies;
- dozens of recipes to practice delicious home ferments;
- lacto-fermentation formulasso you can branch out on your own; and
- probiotic meal-planning ideas to ensure you’re eating healthful fermented foods on a daily basis.
- Food groups covered: fruits, veggies, condiments, beverages, beans, dairy, meats, olives, grains and more.
Visit my blog for free traditional cooking videos, recipes, and articles. Or, weekly menu plans, eBooks, and unlimited online classes help you master the fundamentals of traditional cooking, sourdough, cultured dairy, cheese, and lacto-fermentation. New — Real Food Kids cooking class! TraditionalCookingSchool.com with GNOWFGLINS.
~ Wardeh ‘Wardee’ Harmon