These lemon coconut blueberry macadamia nut muffins came about when I needed something sweet and dessert-like to fill a craving one day. These muffins are full of flavor and each blueberry is a little burst of sweetness. There is no added sugar in this recipe, only the natural sweetness that is present in the coconut cream concentrate and the blueberries. Slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside make these a delicious sweet treat that won’t derail whatever style of eating you’re following!
As many of you know, I embarked on a healing journey back on August 1st to help with thyroid and adrenal fatigue issues, as well as to hopefully lose weight and get my body into better shape, both physically and emotionally. Things have been very easy, yet at the same time, things have been super hard. One of the hardest things for me is giving up sweet treats. As part of my healing, I eliminated all grains, gluten, dairy, legumes, and sugar (even stevia) from my diet, starting August 1st. I also started cutting back on my carbohydrates, because my carb intake had gotten out of control and I knew it was greatly affecting me (and not in a good way). These muffins evolved from a need to fill that void left by the reduction of carbs and sweets. For those of you who do count carbs, according to my calculation, these will contain around 7 grams of carbs per muffin. Now, that will depend on the size of the muffin tins that you use, so if you’re concerned, you could do the calculations based on what your ingredients say. Rough counts are all I really care about.
I can’t take full credit for the muffin base of this recipe. I was inspired by my friend Patty’s recipe for her coconut butter sandwich bread. I have made countless loaves of this bread and one day I thought that I wanted to try something different. I started looking through my available ingredients and lemons, blueberries, and macadamia nuts all jumped out at me. Patty is the author of the Loving Our Guts blog and if you haven’t tried her bread recipe yet, I strongly encourage you to! It’s amazing!
Lemon Blueberry Macadamia Nut Muffins (Dairy, Sugar, Grain, and Gluten-Free)
I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend.
Makes approx 12-16 muffins
6 pastured eggs at room temperature
1 cup of coconut cream concentrate (also called coconut butter)
1/4 cup macadamia nut oil (if you don’t have this, coconut oil works great too!)
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
3/4 cup blueberries (I used frozen, but you could use fresh)
1. Preheat your oven to 325 and either grease your muffin pans with coconut oil, or use unbleached muffin liners. If you use the paper liners, I recommend brushing the inside of them with some coconut oil as well.
2. In a food processor, blender, or a mixer (the food processor works best in my opinion), combine the eggs, coconut cream concentrate, macadamia nut oil, baking soda, and sea salt until smooth and completely combined.
3. With the food processor running, add the lemon juice and the lemon zest.
4. Pour batter into a bowl and mix the blueberries and chopped macadamia nuts in by hand. If you’re using fresh blueberries, take care not to crush them as you stir.
5. Pour or scoop the batter into the muffin tins filling each about 3/4 full.
6. Bake at 325 for 35-45 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Serve warm or cool. Tastes great both ways. For extra deliciousness, top with grass-fed butter or ghee. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
*Advertisements from my trusted affiliate partners*