Coconut Oil Hair Treatment with Egg Yolks and Honey

The Second Opinion Thyroid Summit

Coconut Oil Hair Treatment with Egg Yolks and Honey Follow Me on Pinterest

Want an easy way to give your hair some TLC? This coconut oil hair treatment is a great conditioner and is perfect for all hair types. It only consists of three ingredients, all of which have long been regarded as great hair conditioners. My husband tends to have dry hair and a dry scalp and this is a great way to condition both. After we did the treatment, he said that his hair felt smoother and softer, plus it really helped reduce the frizz. Our goal is to do this treatment once a month.

First up, we have coconut oil. Coconut oil has been used for hundreds of years in the tropics as a hair conditioner. Coconut oil hair treatments are highly regarded and regularly undertaken in these areas. For the specific reasons why coconut oil is beneficial for the hair, I encourage you to read this great article by Brian and Marianita Shilhavy. In the States, coconut oil has recently started to gain popularity as a hair treatment.

The next ingredient is raw honey. Honey has been used for all sorts of things throughout the centuries, and its use on hair is nothing new. Honey is a natural conditioner and is a great way to add shine to your hair, because it helps attract and hold moisture. The reason it works is because it helps smooth the cuticles of the hair, which makes it softer and shinier. Honey is great to use on color treated hair for these reasons. It can help keep the color looking fresh and vibrant. Also, due to the antimicrobial aspects of raw honey, it’s a great cleanser for irritated scalps.

Lastly, we have the egg. Eggs are full of protein and help smooth frizzy, damaged hair. The yolks are a rich source of vitamins, including vitamin D, which has been shown to promote hair growth (you need to make sure you’re getting enough vitamin D in your diet to ensure healthy hair). Eggs are a natural conditioner and can help your hair feel softer and smoother.

The following recipe is perfect for the average man’s head of hair. If you have longer hair, then you’ll need to double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe.

For information on where you can buy coconut oil and raw honey, please visit my resources page.

If you’re interested in trying a pre-made coconut oil hair oil treatment, my affiliate partner, Tropical Traditions, has a variety of products, including their Organic Coconut Oil Hair Oils (in unscented, lavender, and rosemary) and a Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil Hair Treatment.

If you’re interested in making your own skin care products, I highly recommend this eBook from my affiliate partner: “Coconut Oil For Your Skin – Nourishing Your Body From The Outside In“. This is a great book that shows you how to nourish your body from the outside in, using coconut oil!

Coconut Oil For Your Skin Follow Me on Pinterest

For lots of health-related information on coconut oil, I have found this book from the founders of Tropical Traditions, one of my trusted affiliate partners, to be very informative. If you’re a new customer, you can receive a copy for free on your first purchase, and I get a discount coupon for referring you! Click this link to place your order and receive your free book!

Virgin Coconut Oil Book from Tropical Traditions

Virgin Coconut Oil Book from Tropical Traditions

Sources

How Honey Helps Hair“, HealthGuidance.org

Coconut Oil Hair Benefits: How to Use Coconut Oil for Natural Hair Health“, CoconutOil.com

Repair Your Hair With Egg Yolks“, DailyGlow.com

You May Also Like These Related Posts:

1. This is very helpful and this treatment seems ideal for curing many hair issues! Personally, I’m too lazy to get into the kitchen and whip up my own natural remedy, I usually go the easy way and use some Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan oil after each shower. Really shines and de-frizzes hair, hair loss is gone too! Too bad I can only get the stuff online (beyas.ca), I love it so much that it’s running out fast!

Laura
    Posted 07/09/12

2. When I originally left a comment I appear to have clicked on the
    -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is added I receive 4 emails with
    the exact same comment. There has to be a way you can remove me from that service?

Kudos!

TEST
    Posted 10/15/12

3. Tried this without the egg, and it was a total flop. My hair is very dry at the ends and oily at the scalp, so I put it on the ends first, then massaged upwards, but not all the way to the roots.

I rinsed for a very very long time, them shampooed twice. My hair is still disgustingly visibly oily. It looked like I used too much gel when it first dried, now about 6 hours later it looks like I haven’t showered in a week. Also my neck and back are starting to break out.

The only plus side is that my hands feel wonderful, and every time I touch my hair it’s like putting a velvety soft lotion on them. Lol.

Michelle
    Posted 12/08/12

• Hi Michelle – I’m sorry you had a bad experience with it! :( It always works so great for my hair, but I guess everyone is different! I wonder if you have a sensitivity to coconut oil? It’s not super common, but I have heard of some people who react to coconut oil. Again, sorry it was a flop for you! :(

Posted 01/09/13

4. Thanks for the recipe, Jessica. It’s cold and windy here these days, and my hair was getting dry, dull and lifeless as a result. I did include several drops of lavender oil and the overall scent is very nice. If your recipe is followed exactly, the consistency and “slatherability” is quite good. It runs a bit, but nothing the plastic cap didn’t solve. As I rinsed, my hair hair felt thick and slightly gummy, so I kept rinsing for about 5 or 6 minutes until my hair felt normal, but quite good. Thumbs up, and thank you again!

JT
    Posted 01/13/13

• Hi JT – Thanks for the feedback! I’m glad it helped. I actually need to do this soon — my hair is a frizzy nightmare right now! :)

Posted 01/13/13

5. Tried this tonight. I used 100% pure honey. Idk if that’s different from raw honey. I got a little nervous with the mixture in my hair. It started to feel real hard like beeswax. So I smashed an over ripped avocado and lathered it on top of the coconut/honey/yolk mix. I let sit with cap and towel wrap for 2 hours. Just washed it out. Hair is less frizzy, more shiny, and relatively soft for not putting any product in my hair after rinsing the mix off. I’m going to put some Shea butter on my ends and style tomorrow. I’ ll check back in. Thanks,

Nia
    Posted 01/16/13

• Hi Nia – Avocados are awesome for hair! And, any kind of honey would work fine for this. :)

Posted 01/19/13

6. Thank you for the great article

argan serum
    Posted 01/27/13

7. Tried last night, did everything exact. I guess I’m one of those ones it won’t work with because my hair looks worse then before :( glad it worked for everyone else though!

Bella
    Posted 02/08/13

• Hi Bella – I’m sorry it didn’t work for you! :( Bummer! If you don’t mind me asking, what was it that didn’t work? I always enjoy the feedback and learning other people’s experiences, because not everything that works well for me works well of others! :)

Posted 02/08/13

8. I’ve got the mixture in right now . . . I had an issue at the salon they fried my roots somehow! any tips so that i don’t go bald? my hair is naturally coarse and dry with a heavy wave and frizzy (wonderful i know) i live in a very windy and dry city and it has been super cold lately so that hasn’t helped. suggestions? fingers crossed this helps!

Tara
    Posted 02/10/13

• Hi Tara – Sorry to hear about the bad salon experience! Been there before and it sucks! :( I don’t think you’ll go bald. This mixture really helps calmy my hair down when it gets dry and frizzy. I love it during the winter, especially, because that seems to be when my hair goes nuts! Hope it works for you! :)

Posted 02/10/13

9. What do you think the effect of this treatment would have on dreaded hair?

Heidi
    Posted 04/16/13

• Hi Heidi – You know, I am not sure. I would imagine it would be very nourishing, but I really have no experience with dreads, so I can’t say for sure. Sorry I’m no help! :(

Posted 04/16/13

10. Hi, I’m thinking about doing this when I get home from school, but i’m out of coconut oil. Do you think grapeseed oil would work? or should i just wait? Thanks

Raven
    Posted 04/17/13

• Hi Raven – I think you could use any type of oil, but coconut oil just known for it’s nourishing properties for hair. Have fun! :)

Posted 04/17/13

11. I am using it on a weekly basis, hoping to see good results pretty soon

Raphael
    Posted 06/09/13

• Hi Raphael – Keep us posted! I hope it works well for you! :)

Posted 06/10/13

12. Do you think grapeseed oil would work?

crème visage
    Posted 06/21/13

• Hi there – Any oil would work, but coconut oil has been long used for hair nourishment, which is why I chose that type of oil. Have fun!

Posted 06/21/13

13. If i dont do it over night, how long would you recommend having it in for?? Btw thanks so much for the article my hair has been so dull and i kept this in for 1 hour. Still worked wonders

Alex
    Posted 07/15/13

• Hi Alex – Thanks for stopping by! An hour would be fine. I try to time it where I can do at least an hour or two, but I think every little bit helps! Glad to hear it worked well for you. I love this, especially in the winter when my hair gets dry and frizzy. :)

Posted 07/16/13

14. I agree with your article because for a soft and good looking hair a good oil is very important for us.I will use this type of oil for my hair because hair loss is very big problem for us.I like it.Thanks for giving this wonderful idea!!!

Hair Care Products
    Posted 07/22/13

15. Can somebody help? I made a sugar scrub (coconut oil-melted, and sugar)and used it on my skin in the shower, and it made my skin AMAZINGLY SOFT :D but the downside was that it got my bathtub all oily and really dangerous. I need something to help take this oil of my bathtub floor, because its really slippery. I wanna do this before the morning, cause my mum is gonna take a shower and I dont want her to slip. Help?

Rebecca
    Posted 07/23/13

• Hi Rebecca – Any shower cleaner or just plain soap will remove the oil from the tub. Whenever I use my coconut oil body scrubs in the shower, I use a little shampoo on the bottom of the tub and it lifts the coconut oil right off. Hope that helps!

Posted 07/23/13

• Baking soda will get the residue out of the tub/shower and leave it sparkling.

Lisa
      Posted 08/03/13

• Great tip!

Posted 08/04/13

16. I love your recipes! Would it be okay if I shared some of your recipes on facebook, if I credit your site and share the link to it?
    Billie Johnson

Billie Johnson
    Posted 08/10/13

• Hi Billie – That is perfectly fine! Thanks for asking! :)

Posted 08/11/13

17. I am using it on a weekly basis, hoping to see good results pretty soon…

matt
    Posted 09/23/13

18. Alright, my hair dried and the “dandruff” is gone now. It’s also not a tangled mess anymore. Buuuuut it’s also not any softer, shinier, or less frizzy. I think I’ll try just coconut oil next time.

Jenn
    Posted 05/15/13

19. Thanks for sharing your experience! I am always finding that what works for one person does not work for others! It’s always a journey finding stuff that works well for our own individual needs! :)

Posted 09/22/13