Here are some real food and natural living resources that I would recommend to anyone who is embarking on a journey to eat real food, wants to improve their health, or just wants to learn something new. I only recommend products that I, myself, have tried and believe in. If I don’t believe in the product or like it myself, I will not promote it!
DISCLOSURE: This post does contain affiliate links, meaning if you place an order through one of the links, I will receive a small commission for your sale. This does not affect your cost and all funds earned go to help with the maintenance of this site and its free content.
This list is continually growing. If there is a brand or a website that you love, feel free to share and I’ll check it out! I love getting personal recommendations!
Looking for something specific? Use the following links to jump to a specific section on this page:
- Coconut Products
- Dairy Products
- Fats and Oils
- Fermented Foods and Starter Cultures
- Flours, Grains, and Legumes
- Herbs, Spices, and Teas
- Grass-Fed and Pastured Meats
- Seasonal Produce
- Supplements and Health Products
- Essential Oils
- General Grocery Items
- Gardening Supplies
Natural Foods and Supplies
I have tried countless brands of coconut products and I keep coming back to Tropical Traditions, hence the reason that they are the only company I have listed here. Note, if you are a new customer to Tropical Traditions and you place an order through one of my links, you will receive a FREE copy of their Virgin Coconut Oil book, which is a fantastic book!
Barefoot Provisions – They offer a variety of paleo-friendly coconut products for the real food kitchen.
Dairy (Milk, Cream, Cheese, Eggs)
Wise Choice Market - Coconut ice cream that is dairy free and organic. Low glycemic, gluten free, GMO free, soy free, and high in medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs).
RealMilk.com – Find local, raw dairies where you can get unpasteurized, unhomogenized raw milk. Some dairies will also sell cheese and eggs as well.
Colorado Market Guide – Locate farmers markets all around Colorado. Many of which will sell eggs. Some will sell cheeses and milk (these products will be pasteurized due to Colorado law).
Local Harvest – Find a local markets in your area, many of which will sell eggs and other local goodies. Some will sell cheeses and milk (pasteurization will depend on the law of that state).
FarmersMarket.com – Find a local markets in your area, many of which will sell eggs and other local goodies. Some will sell cheeses and milk (pasteurization will depend on the law of that state).
Tropical Traditions – They offer a variety of grass-fed butter, as well as soy-free pastured eggs (which is hard to find).
Fats and Oils
Tropical Traditions – I love their grass-fed pastured butter (both the Kalona and Natural by Nature brands). Their Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil is the highest quality virgin coconut oil on the market. It is made by hand, in the old-fashioned, traditional methods. Independent studies have shown that coconut oil produced in that manner have higher levels of antioxidants than other coconut oils. I also use their Green Label Virgin Coconut Oil and their Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil. For frying and shortening replacement, I recommend their Palm Shortening.
Vitacost - I get quite a bit of my pantry essentials from Vitacost and they have a great selection of organic cooking oils and are often less expensive than other places. If you sign up through this link, you can receive a $10 off coupon and I get one too!
Barefoot Provisions – They offer a variety of paleo-friendly oils for the real food kitchen (coconut oil, ghee, avocado oil, and more).
Pure Indian Foods – Grass-fed ghee. The best tasting ghee you will ever have! Trust me!
Chaffin Family Orchards – High-quality olive oil. One of the mildest olive oils I’ve tastes. Expensive, but worth the cost.
Fermented Food Starters and Cultures / Fermented Food Supplies
Probiotic Jar – Anaerobic fermenting jars to ensure your ferments turn out perfectly. Fermenting anaerobically is the best way to ensure high-quality, delicious tasting, ferments. It also is the only way to generate the proper gut-healing bacteria that we need in our bodies. Read more about fermenting here.
Wise Choice Market – A wide range of organic fermented foods that can be delivered to your door. Everything from fermented vegetables to fermented vegetable juices to organic garlic flowers (yum!). They also have a wide range of starter cultures, so you can start fermenting at home!
Kombucha Kamp – This is the place to go if you want to start brewing kombucha. They sell everything you need to get started. High-quality products. Get your certified lead-free continuous brewing system, organically grown kombucha starter cultures, kombucha testing supplies, teas and flavors, and much more.
Flours, Grains, and Legumes
Tropical Traditions – I love their coconut flour. They also carry a high-quality brown rice flour. They also sell stone-ground whole wheat bread flour, ground unbleached wheat bread flour, and Einkorn flour. If you’re looking for whole grains, they carry whole grain rolled oats, whole grain spelt, whole grain hulled barley, whole grain hulled millet, whole grain red spring wheat, whole grain spelt, whole grain rye, and organic Einkorn wheat berries. Since I am strictly gluten and grain free, I cannot attest to these products, but I have heard many people say that they are some of the best out there.
Barefoot Provisions – They offer a variety of paleo-friendly flour products. I LOVE their Super Flour. It’s great stuff!
To Your Health Sprouted Flour – They take care of the soaking and sprouting for you. Available in whole grains or ground flours. Lots of gluten free options too.
Kitchen, Home, and Gardening Supplies
20 Dishes – Need help getting paleo meals on the table? 20 Dishes can help with their tried-and-trusted meal prep system. Learn how to get a week’s worth of paleo meals prepped in only 60 minutes.
Blendtec - My favorite kitchen appliance. I’m a huge fan and recommend the BT over the Vitamix. They have excellent prices on their refurbished models (which is what I have), so you save quite a bit of money there.
Juil Earthing Shoes – Connect with the Earth via the unique copper dots on Juil’s shoes. I’ve reviewed their products several times and love them. Read review 1 here and review 2 here.
MightyGrow – Safe and natural solutions for your garden, including fertilizer, trace minerals, and more.
General Grocery Items
Mountain Rose Herbs – Bulk herbs, spices, essential oils, organic foods, health and beauty products, and more. I buy pretty much all of my herbs, butters, and other supplies for my DIY skin and body care from Mountain Rose Herbs. Their quality is outstanding.
Barefoot Provisions – They offer a variety of paleo-friendly products for the real food home. They have everything from kitchen staples to snacks to treats. Make sure to check their site regularly for new products!
Vital Proteins – My only source for grass-fed gelatin products. Their quality and packaging is far superior to other brands and they are the only type I recommend now.
Wise Choice Market – A wide range of products from organic sprouted breads and gluten-free breads to organic fermented foods to nutrient-dense organic bone broth to salmon caviar (Ikura) to organic soaked cereals and more.
Tropical Traditions – In addition to coconut products and grass-fed / pastured meats, Tropical Traditions also carries many organic food items like oils, sweeteners, baking supplies, condiments, health and beauty products, non-toxic household cleaning supplies, and more.
Herbs, Spices, Teas, etc.
Mountain Rose Herbs – Bulk organic herbs, spices, teas, oils, and more. This is my go-to source for herbs and herbal teas. I’ve tried herbs from many other sources and I am constantly amazed at the quality that I receive from MRH and I truly believe that their products are superior. I buy pretty much all of my herbs, butters, and other supplies for my DIY skin and body care from Mountain Rose Herbs.
Barefoot Provisions – They have a nice selection of herbs and spices (especially blends). I highly recommend their products.
Beanilla - High-quality vanilla beans for making your own delicious vanilla extract. They offer more than just vanilla too!
Rishi Organic Teas – Another favorite source for teas. They have a wide variety of green, back, white, and yellow teas, as well as herbal teas, matcha tea powders, tea brewing supplies and more. I highly recommend their products and they are organic and fair trade certified.
Grass-fed and Pastured Meats and more
Tropical Traditions – A wide range of grass-fed and pastured meats, including beef, bison, lamb, and chicken. Sustainably harvested salmon, cod, and halibut. Grass-fed butter and soy-free eggs.
KOL Foods - Grass-fed and pastured meat products. All Kosher certified. I get my chicken and turkey livers from them since they are so hard to find elsewhere. They also offer a wide range of other products including beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, duck, and salmon.
US Wellness Meats – A wide range of grass-fed and pastured meats and a variety of other products.
Vital Choice – Wide range of safe and sustainably caught salmon, white fish, shell fish, and other sea food. Also see supplements, books, and more!
Colorado Market Guide – Locate farmers markets all around Colorado. Eat local and in season whenever possible.
Local Harvest – Find local markets in your area. Eat local and in season whenever possible.
FarmersMarket.com – Find local markets in your area. Eat local and in season whenever possible.
Chaffin Family Orchards – A variety of citrus and stone fruits, as well as whole olives and figs.
Tropical Traditions – Select farm fresh (organic) produce from Wisconsin. Availability is limited, so check often.
Supplements and Health/Body (Vitamins, Minerals, Superfoods, etc.)
Squatty Potty – We absolutely LOVE our Squatty Potty. It has litterally changed our lives. Every house should have one (or more) of these.
Big Berkey Water Filtration Systems – We love our Big Berkey system. Their specially designed water filters leave the good stuff (i.e. minerals) and get rid of the bad stuff (i.e. fluoride, chlorine, bacteria, parasites, etc.) Read my review here.
OraWellness – Natural and Organic solutions for dental health. I love their products!
Perfect Supplements – Natural and organic nutritional supplements. They offer their own private label products, as well as products from other brands.
Radiant Life – Radiant Life carries some of the highest-quality supplements available. Everything from fermented cod liver oil, fermented cod liver / butter oil blend, high-vitamin butter oil, desiccated liver caps, ConcenTrace Ionic Minerals, magnesium flakes (and other magnesium products), grass-fed beef gelatin, and more.
Morrocco Method – Natural and organic hair care supplies and henna. Their site has a ton of info on it regarding natural hair care and tutorials.
There is a lot of controversy over essential oils. Much of it stems from the MLM companies who promote their oils as the only “safe and pure” oils on the market. These oils are also quite pricey and not affordable for many people. That’s not to say they are not good quality oils — they are. I just personally do not buy into any one brand having the corner on the market for the “best” oils. I think there are many good quality oils out there on the market and these are a few of the ones that I recommend. Ultimately, it comes down to doing your own research and identifying what you goals are for using essential oils in your family.
Florihana Pure Essential Oils from France: These oils are sold by Tropical Traditions and I have been very pleased with them. They are pure with notadditives or fillers. They have a highly innovative method of producing the essential oils which allows them to provide world-class essential oils that are well known throughout Europe, China, and Japan. The prices are very affordable due to the fact that there is no MLM in place.
Aura Cacia – This is one of the more inexpensive brands on the market, but I have been pleased with my research of the company and have also heard from people who know the founder of the company. Their oils are 100% pure and are a great place to start for those who are new to essential oils and want to start getting their feet wet. I purchase mine from Vitacost, as they have great prices. Sign up through this link and get a $10 off coupon for your first order (and I get one too!).
Reviews of Products I Use and Love
I do not recommend products on my site or to family and friends without first having tried them. I have a very high standard in regards to products that I choose to promote. All of the products below are items that I have reviewed on this site and recommend to family and friends.
- Broth: The Elixir of Life eBook
- Baking with Coconut Flour eBook
- Cooking with Coconut Oil eBook
- Coconut Oil for Your Skin eBook
- Beyond Grain and Dairy eBook
- Whole Food Revolution eBook
- Don’t Compost It, Cook It eBook
- Your Custom Homestead eBook
- The Women’s Health Big Book of Exercises
- Backyard Farming on an Acre (more or less)
- Practical Paleo
- Digestive Health with Real Food
- The Women’s Health Big Book of Exercises
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Fermenting Foods
- Poppy Soap Co. Handmade Soaps
- L.c. of acierma Organic Herbal Skin Care Review 1
- L.c. of acierma Organic Herbal Skin Care Review 2
- vintageTRADITION Beef Tallow Body Balms
- MadeOn Hard Lotions
- Keeki Pure & Simple Non-Toxic Nail Polish Review
- Squatty Potty
- Top 5 Reasons I Love My Squatty Potty
- Berkey Water Filtration System
- Kombucha Kamp Continuous Brew System
- LunchBots Stainless Steel Containers
- Pure Indian Foods Ghee
- Norm’s Farms Elderberry Wellness Products
- Wise Choice Market Salmon Roe
- Vital Choice Salmon Products
- To Your Health Sprouted Flour Co.
- Coconut Water Brand Review – So Many To Choose From
- Tropical Traditions Non-Toxic Dish Soap
- Tropical Traditions Raw Honey
- Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil
- Tropical Traditions Pure Coconut Oil
- Tropical Traditions Coconut Flour
- Tropical Traditions Atchara
- Tropical Traditions Non-Toxic Powdered Dishwasher Detergent
- Tropical Traditions Non-Toxic Laundry Detergent and Oxygen Bleach
- Tropical Traditions Antioxident Omega 3 Greens
- Tropical Traditions Raw Coconut Water Vinegar
- Tropical Traditions Wild Caught Alaskan Fish Review
Real Food Resources (Books, Websites, Videos, etc.)
These are just a few of the books that line my shelves. These books have all had an impact on my way of thinking about food, and whether the impact was small or large, I highly recommend them to everyone!
- Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats, by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig
- Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, by Weston A. Price, DMD
- Know Your Fats, by Mary Enig, PhD
- Eat Fat, Lose Fat, by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon
- Rebuild from Depressions, A Nutrient Guide, by Amanda Rose, PhD
- The Raw Milk Revolution, by David E. Gumpert
- Wild Fermentation, by Sandor Katz (this is one of my all time favorite resources)
- Sustainable Food, by Elise McDonough
- Why We Get Fat (and what to do about it), by Gary Taubes
- Good Calories, Bad Calories, by Gary Taubes
- The Whole Soy Story, by Kaayla T. Daniel
- The Omnivore’s Delimma, by Michael Pollan
- In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan
- Food Rules, by Michael Pollan
- Real Food: What to Eat and Why, by Nina Planck
- Real Food for Mother and Baby, by Nina Planck
- You Can Farm, by Joel Salatin
- Everything I Want to do is Illegal, by Joel Salatin
- Seeds of Deception, by Jeffrey M. Smith
Books / eBooks
- Coconut Oil for Your Skin: Nourishing Your Body from the Outside In, by Hybrid Rasta Mama (read my review)
- Cooking with Coconut Oil, by Hybrid Rasta Mama (read my review)
- Beyond Grain and Dairy, by GAPS Diet Journey (read my review)
- Baking with Coconut Flour, by GAPS Diet Journey (read my review)
- Broth: Elixir of Life, by Loving Our Guts (read my review)
- Lisa’s Counter Culture, by Lisa Herndon (read my review)
- DIY Organic Beauty Recipes, by Mommypotamus
- Whole Food Revolution, by Beyond the Peel (read my review)
- Your Custom Homestead, by Jill Winger (read my review)
- Back to Basics, by Cooking Traditional Foods
- Real Food Storage, by Cooking Traditional Foods (read my review)
- Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook, by Mickey Trescott
- Paleo Survival Guide, by Sylvie McCracken
- Grain-Free Meal Plans, by Health, Home, & Happiness
- Paleo Treats, by Suzanne Perazzini
Thank you Food, Inc., for paving the way for the food-based documentary. These are all fantastic documentaries that should be viewed by anyone who is conscientious of their health and wellness. It seems like every time I turn around, I discover a new documentary, so this list is continuously growing! There are a few in here that are not food-related, but are still awesome documentaries.
- Food, Inc.
- Supersize Me
- Fat Head
- Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead
- The Future of Food
- The World According to Monsanto
- King Corn
- Food Fight
- What’s on Your Plate?
- The Gerson Miracle
- The Business of Being Born
Mercola Optimal Wellness Center – Great source of health articles, optimal wellness products, and free natural health newsletter of top medical news.
Nourished Living Network – A team of fantastic bloggers (of which I am honored to be a part of), writing about a wide range of topics from real food to nutrition to natural parenting to alternative eating styles and much more!