FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Read our full terms and conditions here.
This Homemade Greek Seasoning Blend is super flavorful and a cinch to make. It tastes great sprinkled on everything from veggies to seafood to your morning eggs. Once you try it, this Homemade Greek Seasoning Blend is sure to quickly become one of your kitchen pantry staples.
Have you ever made your own spice blends? I used to buy all of mine but then I started experimenting with making my own and loved the results. I’ve shared a few of my favorites, including:
- Easy Homemade Curry Powder
- Homemade Blackening (Cajun) Seasoning
- Mama Ruth’s Tandoori-Style Spice Blend
This Greek seasoning is no different. As a matter of fact, I started making this seasoning because I couldn’t find a pre-made blend that I liked. None of the store-bought blends tasted right so I knew I’d have to set out to create my own.
I’m really glad I did because this is now one of my favorite blends. It has become more of an all-purpose seasoning for me and I use it on everything.
The Birth of this Homemade Greek Seasoning Blend
A while back, my mom and I enjoyed some food at a Greek and Persian restaurant and I was reminded of how much I love the flavor profile of those foods. The herbs and spices used are so rich and vibrant. Very unlike the things most of us eat every day.
I set out to find a good Greek seasoning that I could start using in my own cooking. To say I felt lackluster about the ones I found is putting it mildly. None of them had the robust, complex flavor that I was looking for. And even many of the recipes that I found for homemade versions left a lot to be desired.
So, when that happens, I always set out to make my own. I did research on the herbs and spices commonly used in Greek seasoning blends and started playing around with different combinations. The version I finally landed on is the one I am happy to be sharing with you today.
This blend tastes amazing and you can use it on pretty much everything. It has turned into more of an all-purpose seasoning for me and I add a dash of it to almost everything from meats to veggies to eggs.
I will say that this blend still feels like it’s missing something, although I cannot for the life of me figure it out. I also don’t have any friends who are Greek to ask. So if you are Greek and you know the secret ingredient(s) that I need to add to really give it that extra something, please message me! I want to know. I was really trying to get it to taste like what I taste in restaurant food but it’s not quite there.
All that said, it’s still delicious.
Next up on my list is to start exploring Iranian/Persian spice blends. The Persian restaurant we were at was divine and the food was so delicious. I’d love to be able to recreate some of that tastiness at home. There are definitely some flavors in that region’s cuisine that are out of the ordinary for me. I’ll really need to do some research to find out what spices to buy and where to get them.
Ways to Use Your Homemade Greek Seasoning Blend
As I mentioned above, this seasoning blend has quickly become a favorite around here. Jacob loves it too and I often sprinkle a little extra on his veggies.
- I’ve used it on roasted, steamed, and sauteed veggies.
- It’s excellent oven-baked chicken thighs.
- It’s also delicious on pan-seared or grilled chicken breast.
- Try it on cod or salmon for a delicious new twist on seafood. It would also be good on pretty much any other fish too.
- Sprinkle a little on your scrambled eggs before serving, or even better, fold it into your eggs as they are cooking.
- It is DIVINE on roasted potatoes. YUM!
- Mix with melted butter or extra virgin olive oil for a bread dip or spread.
Now, who’s ready to get cooking?
- 6 tsp garlic powder
- 6 tsp dried oregano
- 6 tsp dried basil
- 6 tsp dried chives
- 3 tsp dried lemon peel
- 3 tsp dried rosemary
- 3 tsp dried onion
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp dried parsley
- 3 tsp dried dill weed
- 3 tsp dried marjoram
- 3 tsp dried lemon thyme
- 1.5 tsp ground corriander
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Place all of the ingredients into a spice grinder and pulse a few times until finely chopped. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your grinder.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. You can use it on all kinds of veggies and meats!
- You can skip the spice grinder if you like, but since this used a combo of ground and whole herbs, it's nicer to grind them so they are all about the same size. You get much more even spreading that way.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe if you want to make a big batch.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Make Real Food Easy and Affordable! Introducing My Real Food 101 Series + Special Coupon!
Real food doesn’t have to be complicated, overwhelming, or expensive. We’re all busy, we’re all on budgets, but we all deserve to eat nutritious food that satisfies our hunger and fuels our bodies.
That’s why I created the Real Food 101 series and why I am sharing them (and a special coupon code with you today!). If you’re new to real food, or just want a refresher, this series is PERFECT for you!
Countless hours of research, organization, recipe development, and design went into creating the perfect guide to all things real food. I created these books to help people eat better and live better through real food and natural living, which is the core mission of this site.
I’ll be your personal guide, taking your hand and helping through every step of your whole health journey as you discover:
- Why Your Health And Real Food Are Interconnected
- What “Real Food” Actually Is
- Making Real Food Affordable
- Go-To Real Food Brands
- Dozens Of Real Food Resources
- Delicious, Kitchen-Tested Real Food Recipes the Whole Family Will Love
- How to Stock Your Kitchen and Pantry
- How to Prepare Real Food Meals at Home Without Breaking the Bank
- How to Create Delicious Beverages and Smoothies.
- How Making Your Own Condiments, Dressings, and Sauces is Easier Than You Think (and saves your Health and Your Budget!).
- Ways to Eat More Vegetables (Even if There are Picky Eaters Involved).
- How To Prepare Delicious Entrees That Will Have You Thinking You’re Eating in a 5-Star Restaurant
- Access To Curated Recipe Archives, Suggestions, And Pantry-Stocking Ideas
- And Much, Much More!
In celebration of today’s recipe, I am offering YOU a special coupon code where you can get my entire Real Food 101 Series for 50% OFF! Yes, you read that right! All you have to do is use coupon code REALFOOD50 at checkout to save.
For under $17, you will have a full resource library full of helpful information, tips, tricks, and delicious kitchen-tested recipes that will keep you and your family eating and feeling good year-round.
Learn more about the Real Food 101 Series Bundle via this link, or click on the button below. Don’t forget to use coupon code REALFOOD50 to save 50% on the full bundle! Here’s to YOUR health and wellness!