FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Read our full terms and conditions here.
If you like egg drop soup, you are going to swoon over this recipe! Not only is this recipe super nourishing, but it’s also fast and easy to make. This egg drop soup will give your favorite Chinese restaurant a run for it’s money and will quickly become a household favorite!
I am a huge fan of egg drop soup. I remember having it as a kid at a Chinese restaurant (hello sweet and sour chicken!!!) and then asking my mom if we could make it at home. Turns out it is ridiculously easy to make, even for a little kid.
The Childhood Magic of Egg Drop Soup
Those of you who have been reading my site for a long time know that I grew up in the kitchen. My mom had me helping her cook and bake from the time I was big enough to stand in a chair and peek over the counter. I was cooking and baking on my own but the time I was 6-7 years old. To say food is in the fiber of my being is an understatement. It’s no wonder that as an adult I’d choose a profession in the food realm.
Anywho, I remember standing over the stove and drizzling the whipped egg into the broth and watching it make those delicate whisps of egg that we are so familiar with in classic egg drop soup. It was like magic!!
I have many memories in the kitchen from childhood but making that soup is one that stands out to me. It was also fun writing this blog post because I got to take a little stroll down memory lane.
Making Egg Drop Soup As An Adult
Fast forward to adulthood and I still love egg drop soup, but I for the life of me can’t remember the last time I made it. Which is quite a shame considering how easy and nourishing it is.
Thankfully I was reminded of all of this as I was perusing my friend Amanda’s latest cookbook,
Fast & Flavorful Paleo Cooking. This cookbook is geared towards getting nourishing meals on the table really fast. These recipes are delightfully simple but just as delicious as if you had been slaving away in the kitchen all day. I even got to help test some of the recipes for the book which was a ton of fun!
As I was looking through all the recipes and dog-earing all the pages of recipes I wanted to make, I saw Amanda’s recipe for egg drop soup and knew I had to make it. When she let me know I could also share the recipe in the blog with you, I was so excited!
All About Fast & Flavorful Paleo Cooking
Before we dive into the recipe, let me tell you a little more about Fast & Flavorful Paleo Cooking. Like all of Amanda’s recipes (check out my review and recipe from her Latin American cookbook here), there is a focus on making meals both very nourishing and healthy while also keeping them fun and flavorful. This book was specifically geared towards the home cook with a busy schedule. Her goal was to give you lots of recipe ideas that can be taken to the table in less than 45 minutes in most cases.
In Fast & Flavorful Paleo Cooking you will find:
- 80+ FAST, EASY, and DELICIOUS recipes your whole family will love immediately. All of the recipes are broken down into 3 categories based in start to finish cooking times (on the table in 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or 45 minutes).
- All recipes are gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, and legume-free. 65 are egg-free, 53 are seed-free (including seed spices like cumin),
50 are nut-free (including coconut), 51 are nightshade-free, 50 are low-carb, 33 are
AIP with an additional 13 that can be easily modified to be AIP.
- A TON of vegetables and veggie recipes that will empower you to cook some of the most commonly available produce all in a way that you and your family will actually want to eat (and ask for seconds).
- An almost flourless cookbook that only utilizes a little starch in a small number of recipes.
- No difficult to find ingredients or specialty appliances. Just every day food that can be made in every day kitchens.
- Recipes designed to be staple, every day meals in your home. You won’t find any “special occasion” dishes, just nourishing food to be enjoyed every day.
- Bonuses like a Batch cooking Guide and a Side Dish Finder to make your time in the kitchen even more productive.
I love this cookbook and I know you will too! Now, let’s get into today’s super tasty recipe!!
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) avocado oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 3 green onions, sliced thin, whites and greens separated
- 1 tbsp (8 g) tapioca starch, to thicken (optional)
- 4 cups (960 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) coconut aminos
- 2 tsp (10 ml) toasted sesame oil
- 4 large eggs, well-beaten
- Fine Himalayan salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Heat a medium pot or saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the garlic, ginger and white parts of the green onions and sauté, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- If using tapioca starch to thicken the soup, take 1 cup (240 ml) of the broth and dissolve the starch in it.
- Pour the broth, coconut aminos and toasted sesame oil into the pan. Bring the broth to a gentle simmer, and then immediately remove the pot from the heat.
- Use a spoon to stir the broth continuously in one direction while pouring the eggs into the broth in a thin, steady stream. Using a measuring cup with a spout is helpful for pouring the eggs. This technique will yield soft, creamy egg ribbons in the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, and garnish each bowl with the green onion greens.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Black Pepper Organic
Maldon Sea Salt Flakes, 8.5 ounce Box
Kevala Organic Toasted Sesame Oil, 8 Ounce (Toasted Sesame oil, Organic, 8oz)
Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos
Bob's Red Mill Tapioca, Small Pearl, 24 Ounce
Chosen Foods 100% Pure Avocado Oil 1 L, Non-GMO, for High-Heat Cooking, Frying, Baking, Homemade Sauces, Dressings and Marinades
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 386mgSodium: 1041mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 28g
IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ!!! This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered from Nutritionix and we often find their calculations to be slightly inaccurate based on the whole food ingredients we use on this site. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on many factors. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible, but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Make Real Food Easy and Affordable! Introducing My Real Food 101 Series + Special Coupon!
Real food doesn’t have to be complicated, overwhelming, or expensive. We’re all busy, we’re all on budgets, but we all deserve to eat nutritious food that satisfies our hunger and fuels our bodies.
That’s why I created the Real Food 101 series and why I am sharing them (and a special coupon code with you today!). If you’re new to real food, or just want a refresher, this series is PERFECT for you!
Countless hours of research, organization, recipe development, and design went into creating the perfect guide to all things real food. I created these books to help people eat better and live better through real food and natural living, which is the core mission of this site.
I’ll be your personal guide, taking your hand and helping through every step of your whole health journey as you discover:
- Why Your Health And Real Food Are Interconnected
- What “Real Food” Actually Is
- Making Real Food Affordable
- Go-To Real Food Brands
- Dozens Of Real Food Resources
- Delicious, Kitchen-Tested Real Food Recipes the Whole Family Will Love
- How to Stock Your Kitchen and Pantry
- How to Prepare Real Food Meals at Home Without Breaking the Bank
- How to Create Delicious Beverages and Smoothies.
- How Making Your Own Condiments, Dressings, and Sauces is Easier Than You Think (and saves your Health and Your Budget!).
- Ways to Eat More Vegetables (Even if There are Picky Eaters Involved).
- How To Prepare Delicious Entrees That Will Have You Thinking You’re Eating in a 5 Star Restaurant
- Access To Curated Recipe Archives, Suggestions, And Pantry-Stocking Ideas
- And Much, Much More!
In celebration of today’s recipe, I am offering YOU a special coupon code where you can get my entire Real Food 101 Series for 50% OFF! Yes, you read that right! All you have to do is use coupon code REALFOOD50 at checkout to save.
For under $17 you will have a full resource library full of helpful information, tips, tricks, and delicious kitchen-tested recipes that will keep you and your family eating and feeling good year-round.
Learn more about the Real Food 101 Series Bundle via this link, or click on the button below. Don’t forget to use coupon code REALFOOD50 to save 50% on the full bundle! Here’s to YOUR health and wellness!