FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Read our full terms and conditions here.
You are going to swoon for this dairy-free eggnog! If you have a taste for the ‘nog, but don’t want the thick, overly sweet stuff from the grocery store, this is your recipe. This easy dairy-free eggnog is easy to make, uses a handful of simple ingredients, and tastes amazing. A million times better than the ‘nog you grew up drinking.
OK, first, do you spell it eggnog or egg nog? I see it both ways and for some reason, egg nog feels better to me. But after a careful Google search, it looks like eggnog is the “proper” way. Although there are a handful of folks who call it egg-nog. So there’s that.
Alright. Moving on…
Who here loves eggnog? Or egg not? Or egg-nog? Anyone?
Memories of Eggnog
If I’m being honest, eggnog is not something that I crave often. My memories of eggnog are of that thick, overly sweet beverage that comes in a carton. I remember the times I would get it, I would have to water it down with extra milk to be drinkable. The normal stuff just felt too thick. And the nutmeg flavor was overpowering and tasted a little “chemically” to me.
But then, every so often, I get a hankering for a glass of ‘nog. And when that happens, nothing will soothe the craving until I actually have some. Aren’t food cravings weird? You can go a year, or 10 years, and never think about a food and then all of a sudden you must have it?
Since dairy and I are no longer friends, the traditional nogs from the grocery store are out. And I have noticed more and more dairy-free eggnog versions coming on the market, which is great, but they all contain way more sugar than I can tolerate.
Last winter, I got a craving for eggnog (in like February) and decided I’d take a stab at making my own. I created this dairy-free eggnog recipe (and it was DELISH) and then promptly forgot about it until I was doing a clean-up on my site and found it sitting in my drafts. So here it is, although it’s a year later than I had planned on sharing it. 🙂
About My Easy Dairy-Free Eggnog
This dairy-free eggnog recipe is an adaptation of two different recipes. The first is Chef John’s ‘nog recipe that I saw on YouTube. If you don’t know who Chef John is, you’re missing out. He’s the HILARIOUS guy from Food Wishes and his videos are educational and a hoot at the same time.
The second recipe is Alton Brown’s classic eggnog. Who doesn’t love Alton Brown? I have learned many a thing about cooking and baking from him. Remember his old show Good Eats? One of my all-time favorites. So it only made sense that I would take a look at these two for inspiration and then take to the kitchen to start experimenting.
Since I’m the only one who is going to drink the eggnog, my base recipe is really small. But you can easily double, triple, or quadruple this recipe if you like. Also, feel free to add some rum or bourbon if you prefer. I know those are classic add-ins for traditional nog.
Keeping it Simple
I also noticed that some recipes for eggnog were really complicated and had a ton of ingredients. My goal for most of my cooking (not all, but most) is to try to keep things simple. And I felt like the more complicated the eggnog recipe, the less likely I would be to like the end result.
That’s why I keep my dairy-free eggnog version pretty simple with just the necessary core ingredients. But as you’ve heard me say a million times before, I view recipes like rough guidelines, never something set in stone. So feel free to experiment as your tastebuds desire.
P.S. Check out below the post. There’s something you might be interested in if you’re loving this real food recipe. 🙂
Delicious Obsessions Trusted Product Recommendations for Easy Dairy-Free Eggnog
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Thrive Market has better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂
- In a bowl or mixer, beat the egg yolks until they are light in color.
- Add the sugar and whisk until the mixture is creamy and the sugar is dissolved.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk, almond milk, and sea salt over medium heat until almost to a simmer.
- Take a small amount (about 1/4 cup) of the warm milk mixture and slowly whisk into your egg mixture. This is called tempering and ensures that you don't end up with scrambled egg nog. Ick.
- Slowly pour the egg/sugar/milk mixture into the saucepan, whisking vigorously.
- Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until the temperature reaches 160 F (if you want to use a thermometer and be precise).
- Remove from heat and stir in your nutmeg, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Pour into a glass jar and chill before serving. Although some people like to drink it warm.
- If you're adding rum, bourbon, etc., add that before serving.
- Garnish with fresh coconut whipped cream, cinnamon sticks, and a sprinkle of nutmeg if you want to get fancy. 🙂
Redmond Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Organic Gluten Free Fine, 10 Ounce Shaker (2 Pack)
Simply Organic Ground Ceylon Cinnamon
Flavorganics Pure Vanilla Extract, 2 Ounce
The Spice Hunter Organic Nutmeg, Whole, 1.8 oz. jar
Aroy-d Coconut Milk 100% Original Net 8.5 Oz.(pack of 12)
Anthony's Erythritol Granules, 2.5lbs, Non GMO, Natural Sweetener, Keto & Paleo Friendly
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 201 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 184mg Sodium: 11mg Carbohydrates: 10g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 8g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g
Make Real Food Easy and Affordable! Introducing My Real Food 101 Series + Special Coupon!
Real food doesn’t have to be complicated, overwhelming, or expensive. We’re all busy, we’re all on budgets, but we all deserve to eat nutritious food that satisfies our hunger and fuels our body.
That’s why I created the Real Food 101 series and why I am sharing them (and a special coupon code with you today!). If you’re new to real food, or just want a refresher, this series is PERFECT for you!
Countless hours of research, organization, recipe development, and design went into creating the perfect guide to all things real food. I created these books to help people eat better and live better through real food and natural living, which is the core mission of this site.
I’ll be your personal guide, taking your hand and helping through every step of your whole health journey as you discover:
- Why Your Health And Real Food Are Interconnected
- What “Real Food” Actually Is
- Making Real Food Affordable
- Go-To Real Food Brands
- Dozens Of Real Food Resources
- Delicious, Kitchen-Tested Real Food Recipes the Whole Family Will Love
- How to Stock Your Kitchen and Pantry
- Strategies For Preparing Real Food Meals at Home Without Breaking the Bank
- How to Create Delicious Beverages and Smoothies.
- Just How Easy Making Your Own Condiments, Dressings, and Sauces is (and saves your Health and Your Budget!).
- Ways to Eat More Vegetables (Even if There are Picky Eaters Involved).
- How To Prepare Delicious Entrees That Will Have You Thinking You’re Eating in a 5 Star Restaurant
- Access To Curated Recipe Archives, Suggestions, And Pantry-Stocking Ideas
- And Much, Much More!
In celebration of today’s recipe, I am offering YOU a special coupon code where you can get my entire Real Food 101 Series for 50% OFF! Yes, you read that right! All you have to do is use coupon code REALFOOD50 at checkout to save.
For under $17 you will have a full resource library full for helpful information, tips, tricks, and delicious kitchen-tested recipes that will keep you and your family eating and feeling good year-round.
Learn more about the Real Food 101 Series Bundle via this link, or click on the button below. Don’t forget to use coupon code REALFOOD50 to save 50% on the full bundle! Here’s to YOUR health and wellness!