FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. Read our full terms and conditions here.
Oh YUM! These “Oatmeal” Breakfast Squares are simply heavenly! Wow!
This recipe is shared out of Vanessa Barajas’ new cookbook, Clean Eating with a Dirty Mind, which her publisher sent to me for review.
This book will knock your socks off, not just with all the amazing recipes and mouth-watering photos, but with the gorgeous design. This is one of the best designed and prettiest cookbooks I’ve ever seen.
Vanessa has written the ultimate cookbooks for treats, snacks, and comfort foods to suit every craving. There are over 150 paleo inspired recipes that will leave your tastebuds wanting more.
Not only does she give you a ton of recipes, but she has a lot of great information about selecting ingredients, tools, cooking, etc. that are sure to help anyone who is getting used to making their own goodies from scratch. I’ve been cooking and baking almost my entire life and I learned a lot from her!
My favorite recipes are (not a comprehensive list of course!):
- Chile Rellenos Casserole
- Pizza Soup
- Sour Cherry Crumble Bars
- Meyer Lemon Meringue Tartlets
- Key Lime Cheesecake Cups (hubby is a HUGE key lime addict!)
- Flourless Almond Butter Cookies
- French Onion and Bacon Tart
For more info on Vanessa and her new book, check out her site here.
Coupons for Frosted “Oatmeal” Breakfast Squares Ingredients
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Thrive Market has better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂
- I get all of my herbs and spices from Mountain Rose Herbs. I have tried so many other brands and have never found the quality, flavor, and aroma to be as good as the herbs I get from Mountain Rose.
- 1 cup (130 g) cashew meal (see Notes)
- 1 cup (50 g) unsweetened coconut flakes (I buy my coconut flakes here.)
- ¾ cup (90 g) golden flaxseed meal (I buy my flaxseed meal here)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon coconut flour (I buy my coconut flour here.)
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon (I buy my cinnamon here.)
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg (I buy my nutmeg here.)
- ½ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt (I buy my salt here.)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons (2½ ounces/70 g) cold salted butter (I buy my salted butter here.) Use ghee or coconut oil for dairy-free
- ¼ cup (40 g) coconut sugar (I buy my coconut sugar here.)
- ¼ cup (30 g) date sugar
- 3 tablespoons raw honey (I buy my honey here.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I buy my vanilla extract here.)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- For the frosting
- ¼ cup (60 ml) melted coconut butter (I like this brand best)
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats; set aside. (Note: If working with only one baking sheet, allow it to cool completely between batches.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cashew meal, coconut flakes, flaxseed meal, coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda. Stir together using a fork until well combined; set aside.
- Place the butter, sugars, honey, and vanilla in a separate medium-sized mixing bowl. Cream together with a hand mixer set on low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Once combined, add the egg and increase the mixer speed to medium. Continue beating until smooth ripples appear on the surface, about 1 minute. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the creamed butter mixture into the dry mixture and beat on low until combined.
- Place a Wilton size B square cookie cutter or a 2-inch (5-cm) square cookie cutter on a lined baking sheet and press a portion of the dough into it evenly, about halfway up the sides. (If working without a cookie cutter, see Notes for other options.) Repeat with the remaining dough, leaving about 2 inches (5 cm) between squares or 6 squares per sheet; the dough will rise and spread. Bake each sheet separately for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges and bottoms of the squares are golden brown. Remove the parchment from the baking sheet and let cool.
- Once the squares are cool, spread the coconut butter across the top of each square using a butter knife and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes to harden and set. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze in a resealable plastic freezer bag. Let thaw for about 15 minutes before serving.
- Notes: To make your own cashew meal, place 1 cup (155 g) of raw cashew pieces in the bowl of a high-powered food processor. Process until the cashews turn into meal, 1 to 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and continue to process as needed.
- If you don’t have a square cookie cutter, another method to form the squares is to roll a spoonful of dough into a 2-inch (5-cm) ball, press it down with your palm, and shape it into a square with your fingertips. Or use a greased precut brownie bar pan: Press the dough into the slots and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
Hey AIP Friends! Are You Struggling with Breakfasts?
I can help! I have done the AIP twice, once for 6 months and the next time for about 18 months and now a large number of my readers are also following the autoimmune protocol for their own healing. I have created a number of AIP compliant recipes for this site, and many can easily be modified to fit your AIP lifestyle.
During my time on the AIP I learned a lot, but breakfasts were, by far, the hardest meals for me to plan out. I was an eggs-for-breakfast kind of gal and turns out, I react to eggs so those for sure had to go. What’s a gal to do when she’s had her favorite go-to breakfast taken away?
Which is what I did, along with the help of 25 other amazing AIP bloggers who all used the AIP to help further along their healing. Together, we created the 85 Amazing AIP Breakfasts eBook (one of the very first digital resources of its kind). The book was coordinated and designed by my friend, Eileen of Phoenix Helix website, and it quickly became a favorite resource in the AIP community!
ONE OF THE FIRST DIGITAL RESOURCES OF ITS KIND, THIS COOKBOOK IS:
- A paleo autoimmune protocol cookbook that is aligned with The Paleo Approach
- A resource for reversing autoimmune disease
- The work of 26 AIP bloggers who have used the AIP to improve their own health.
- 85 curated breakfast recipes from the best of the AIP blogs, including 33 completely new recipes never published before!
- Over half of the recipes can easily be modified for low-FODMAP, GAPS/SCD, low-histamine, and coconut-free diets using the handy substitution charts included in the book.
- Delicious beverages like Rooibos “Latte”, Vanilla “Cappuccino”, Smoothies, Liver & Kidney Detox drink, and more!
- Breakfast bowls like Creamy Grain-Free “Porridge”, Roasted Cinnamon Pear “Oatmeal”, Biscuits & Gravy, Cranachan, and more!
- Breakfast skillets like Sweet Potato Beef Curry, Rabbit Sweet Potato Hash, Bacon & Veggie Fry-Up, Liver & Mushroom Stir-fry, Zucchini Apple Hash, and more!
- Soups (yes! You can eat soup for breakfast) like Greek Gyro Soup, Carrot Ginger Halibut Soup, Fragrant Herb & Coconut Chicken Soup, Offal (but now awful!) Stew, and more!
- Patties like Apple Pie Pork Patties, Ginger Green Onion Patties, Perfect Breakfast Sausage, Tuna Cakes with Green Olives, Cranberry Maple Chicken Patties, and more!
- Pancakes (yum!) like Sweet Potato Banana Pancakes, Spinach Plantain Pancakes, Fig & Citrus Hand Pies, Plantain Waffles, Cinnamon Crumb Cakes, and more!
Regardless of whether you are just starting out on the AIP or you’re already into the program, this cookbook is the perfect addition to your kitchen. Say goodbye to boring breakfasts and hello to deliciousness every morning! Learn more here and download your copy today (it would make a great gift for a loved one too!) by clicking on this link here, or on the image below.