FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Read our full terms and conditions here.
Editor’s Note: Please welcome my friend Hannah to the site today for another great blog post! Hannah is the founder of Whole Simple Life and is a formerly sick and tired Mama who is reclaiming her health naturally, one step at a time. She teaches others about cultured foods, unprocessed, and sugar free eating, green smoothies, and stress and anxiety management! Stop by her site to join her for lots of great articles on natural health and wellness and to be inspired to lead a healthier more positive life!
If you’ve been following the world of health and wellness you’ve probably noticed all of the talk about coconut flour. It’s been a staple for the Paleo eaters as well as a wonderful substitute for those just looking to avoid grains or gluten.
One reason I really love coconut flour is that you don’t need to use much in recipes. Specialty flours often come at a higher price tag and since coconut flour is very absorbent, a little goes a long way. I’ve never used more than a 1/4 c. in a bread-type recipe.
You’ll often see coconut flour used in recipes with an abundance of eggs. Eggs sort of act as the gluten or glue to hold it all together. Generally it’s good to mix the recipe up and then let it sit for a few minutes to let the coconut flour absorb the liquid, the batter will always thicken.
A few recipes I have tampered with already and created grain free versions of have been waffles and german pancakes. Delish!
Coconut flour isn’t only delicious it’s also really really good for you. I’ve included 5 wonderful benefits of adding coconut flour to your diet below:
- Allergy Friendly: This is a definite bonus for the many people who are cutting gluten from their diets. Rice flour used to be a staple for the gluten free crowd, along with tapioca starch and other starches and flours. Coconut flour is safe for all diets. Hallelujah! (That is unless you are allergic to coconut!)
- Rich In Dietary Fiber: Coconut flour is also a great source of fiber. Two tablespoons of coconut flour has 5 grams of fiber, which is a little more than a medium sized apple which has 4.4 grams of fiber. Coconut flour is comprised of about 70% fiber and wheat flour is only about 25%. Fiber is wonderful because it fills you up, and it is great for the digestive system, for balancing blood sugar, and aids in detoxifying the body by carrying out the bad.
- High In Beneficial Fats: Coconut flour is high in good healthy plant-based saturated fats. It contains 2 grams in 2 tablespoons. Saturated fat is helpful to keep you feeling full, to balance blood sugar, and is necessary to help assimilate many vitamins and minerals. You can’t live without fat. Period.
- Great For Balancing Blood Sugar: Because coconut flour has a wonderful balance of fiber and saturated fat, it is processed slowly in the body and safe for diabetics and those with blood sugar problems. In several studies coconut flour has actually been found to have glycemic-lowering abilities.
- High In Protein: A big reason coconut flour is popular is because it has more protein than other flours like wheat, rice, and rye flours. Coconut flour contains 1 gram of protein in every tablespoon which is about double what most other flours contain. You won’t get your daily allotment of protein from eating coconut flour but it sure helps.
There you go, you have 5 new reasons to add coconut flour to your diet. Luckily with the Internet there is no shortage of access to your favorite carb-laden recipes made over with coconut flour. To get started, make sure you check out Jessica’s recipe library, which has hundreds of recipes, many of which use coconut flour.
If you are new to coconut flour and coconut products and are wondering about what to buy, Tropical Traditions, is where I get all of my coconut products from. They offer my readers a free book for those who make a purchase from them through any of my links. With that first order, you will receive a free copy of their Virgin Coconut Oil book, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.
I also have an entire section of my site dedicated to coconut and coconut health here