FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. Read our full terms and conditions here.
Editor’s Note: Please welcome my friend Amy to the site today to share another great post! Make sure you stop by Amy’s site to learn more about all things food and natural living!
Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past few years, you probably already know that raw kale is a nutritional superstar.
You’ve may have read that kale has more calcium per calorie than milk and more iron per calorie than beef. Plus it’s packed with Vitamins K, A, and C, high in fiber and powerful antioxidants and is anti-inflammatory.
So you want to get more of it into your diet, but let’s be honest. It tastes a little, well, bland.
So other than juicing it or blending it in a smoothie, how can you get more of this life giving food into your body without boring your taste buds to tears?
I have just the salad for you.
My festive roasted beet and kale salad is a little sweet, a little salty, a little soft, a little crunchy and A LOT nutritious. And with all that variety, it’s far from boring. In fact, this is one of my go-to recipes for company or when I bring a side dish to a barbecue.
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Thrive Market has better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂
- I get all of my herbs and spices from Mountain Rose Herbs. I have tried so many other brands and have never found the quality, flavor, and aroma to be as good as the herbs I get from Mountain Rose.
- One bunch of organic kale, stem removed, torn into bite sized pieces
- Three beets, greens removed, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup pistachios
- ¼ cup Ricotta Salata cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Simple Honey Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Simple Honey Vinaigrette
- Whisk together 1 Tbsp. each of apple cider vinegar and honey.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Whisk in 2 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Toss beets with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Roast at 400 for 45 minutes or until soft when pierced with a fork.
- While the beets are roasting, prepare your dressing and toss with the kale. Massage the dressing into the kale so that the kale begins to soften. Allow the dressed kale to sit for at least 20 minutes. During this time the vinegar will begin to breakdown and soften the kale for a more pleasant chewing experience.
- When the beets are finished roasting, allow to cool completely (about an hour - this step can be done ahead of time and the beets stored in the fridge for up to 3 days).
- Arrange beets on top of the kale and sprinkle the pistachios and cheese on top.
- That's it!
- Throw some chicken on the grill and you've got a light and satisfying cool summer meal.
For tips on how to feed your family whole organic foods on a budget, click here.