FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Read our full terms and conditions here.
This honey sesame seared salmon is one of my go-to salmon recipes. When I make it, I feel like I am eating something gourmet at a nice restaurant. Since I can very rarely eat out anymore due to all of my dietary restrictions, these fancy little dishes are something that I keep on hand at all times! But, despite it sounding (and tasting) fancy, it is simple to prepare and can be ready in just a few minutes, as long as you have given it enough time to marinate in advance.
I pair the salmon with a simple side of steamed or roasted veggies and a tossed salad and I’m good to go. Here are some tasty ideas for sides:
- Tangy Green Bean Salad with Crispy Walnuts
- Coconut Oil Roasted Carrot Fries
- Garlic Herb Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Spicy Cabbage Slaw with Probiotic Dressing
Healthy. Flavorful. Delicious.
The key to boosting the flavor in this dish is to use the toasted sesame oil for drizzling over the cooked salmon, right before serving. I don’t often use toasted sesame oil for cooking, because it has a lower smoke point than untoasted sesame oil, but the flavor is out of this world. If you have never tried toasted sesame oil, I implore you to give it a try. It is an ingredient I keep on hand at all times in the kitchen!
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Thrive Market has better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂
- I get all of my herbs and spices from Mountain Rose Herbs. I have tried so many other brands and have never found the quality, flavor, and aroma to be as good as the herbs I get from Mountain Rose.
- 2-3 pounds salmon fillets
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1" knob of ginger, finely minced, OR 1 tsp. dried ginger powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced, OR ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- coconut oil for searing
- toasted sesame oil for drizzling before serving
- Diced green onions of chives for serving
- Toasted sesame seeds for serving
- Mix all of the marinade ingredients together until smooth.
- Place the salmon fillets in a Ziploc bag or a large glass dish (I use my large Pyrex casserole dish, which has a lid).
- Pour the marinade over the salmon and let sit in the fridge for a few hours, or overnight.
- When you're ready to cook the salmon, heat a skillet, frying pan, or cast iron pan (I use cast iron) over medium heat. Add a tablespoon or two of coconut oil.
- Place the salmon in the pan, skin side down. The salmon should sizzle when it hits the pan and this will sear the skin.
- Cook skin side down for 2-3 minutes and then flip the salmon.
- Pour the remaining marinade in the pan, lower the heat to medium-low, and cook the salmon for 3-5 minutes, or until done.
- Salmon will be done when it flakes with a fork.
- Serve with fresh chopped chives or green onions, toasted sesame seeds, and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil.
- NOTE: Cooking time will vary, depending on the thickness of your salmon fillet.