FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Read our full terms and conditions here.
I am a beauty care product junkie.
I love lotions, body oils, body sprays, bath salts, lip balms, and pretty much anything else.
That said, I am very, very conscientious about what products I use and I also make a lot of my own, just so I can control the quality of the ingredients and tailor them to my own needs (see all of my skin care / health care product recipes here). Before I ever purchase or try a product, I am careful to read all the ingredients and also research any that I’m not too sure about.
Today, I’m excited to share with you a new product that I was introduced to recently! There’s no chemicals, no toxins, nothing nasty, and no junk, er, junque.
No Junque Non-Toxic Lotions
No Junque skin care products was founded by Kristina Carlton when she started creating her own lotions as she was diagnosed with various health issues, including hormone imbalance. Like so many people who start their own businesses, Kristina had a need for a product that was not being met by anything else on the market. I was introduced to Kristina when my friend Patty from the Loving Our Guts website put us in touch. Kristina offered to send me some of her products to try and after reviewing her ingredient lists, I was excited to accept!
I have always tried to be careful what I put on my skin, considering that our skin is our largest organ and what we expose it to is what gets absorbed into our body. So many of the skin care products on the market contain parabens (among other harmful chemicals), which are xenoestrogens that are harmful to your body and disrupt hormone balance. In addition, they are often full of artificial colors and fragrances, petroleum products, and other nasties that simply have no place on our skin or in our body.
Kristina’s passion for creating homemade skin care products grew and she was soon giving her products to friends and family as gifts. The ingredients she uses are specially selected for their natural healing properties and they are all items that are safe for the skin. The products come in glass jars with labels that easily peel off, allowing you to re-use the jar when you’re done. She avoids using plastics so that none of her products leach out the toxins in the plastic and into your lotion. The cobalt blue glass jars are not only pretty, the tinted glass serves to protect the product from light.
So, what are the ingredients that No Junque uses? Let’s check them out!
1. Coconut Oil. My most favorite skin care ingredient! Kristina chose this ingredient because: “Physiologist and biochemist Ray Peat, Ph.D. believes that coconut oil reduces our need for antioxidant protection of vitamin E. He considers coconut oil an antioxidant due to its stability and resistance to oxidation and free radical formation. Experts believe that coconut oil may help restore more youthful-looking skin. It can help to restore the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by helping to keep your connective tissues strong and supple. It can also aid in exfoliating the outer layer of dead skin cells, thereby possible making your skin smoother.”
2. Jojoba Oil. Another very common and very safe skin care product ingredient. Kristina chose this ingredient because: “Pure Jojoba, pronounced ho-HO-ba, is actually not an oil (it does not contain triglycerides), but rather a liquid wax ester very similar to the esters we produce in our skin. Because of this waxy ester it penetrates and moisturizes extremely well. Jojoba “oil” is extracted from the seeds of the Simmondsia chinensis plant. We use only 100% pure and organic Jojoba oil in our skin care products.”
3. MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane). This is an ingredient that I never considered adding to skin care products. Kristina chose this ingredient because: “Methylsulfonylmethane is an organic sulfur compound which is found naturally in many of the foods we eat. When applied topically, it has a deeply penetrating effect on the skin and has the unique ability to penetrate several skin layers. The latter allows for a more deeply hydrating and smoothing effect for longer periods of time. Great for everybody and particularly for those of us with overly dry and/or mature skin.”
4. Olive Oil. Good ol’ olive oil! So good for so many things. Kristina chose this ingredient because: “Olive oil contains linoleic acid, a compound not made by the body, which prevents water from evaporating. This is part of the reason olive oil is a great skin moisturizer. Like coconut oil, it also contains antioxidants. It is a common folk remedy for very dry skin and usually does not cause a reaction.”
5. Shea Butter. I use shea butter in many of my own skin care products, so this is one I am very familiar with. Kristina chose this ingredient because: “The fat of the nut of the African Shea tree is the source of Shea butter. It is said to have anti-inflammatory properties and healing qualities. Shea butter is often used to reduce the appearance of fine lines, scars and stretch marks, and to ease a variety of skin irritations, such as psoriasis, eczema and sunburn.”
6. Vitamin C, Celtic Sea Salt, and Melaleuca Essential Oil. Kristina chose these ingredients because: “We use these three ingredients as our natural preservatives. In addition to being essential to the body, Vitamin C is also a potential cancer fighter and a great nutritional supplement. Celtic sea salt has antibacterial properties and Melaleuca (Tea Tree) essential oil is a natural antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic.”
7. Artemisinin. This was a new one for me. I had never heard of it and because I did not have any specific skin issues I was addressing, I did not sample any of her products that contain artemisinin. Kristina chose this ingredient because: “Artemisinin is a derivative from the herb wormwood that is a very effective antimicrobial. It is often used to treat intestinal parasites and drug resistant malaria.” Kristina does advise that you consult with your doctor before purchasing any skin care products which contain artemisinin.
What Did I Think?
I love these lotions and I’m not just saying that. I received two scents to try, the Cinngersnap and the Marymint. The reasons I love these products are:
1. Totally safe ingredient list (including being gluten free).
2. They soak into my skin really, really well. One of my biggest pet peeves is having my hands feel “dirty”. I detest the feeling of any lotion residue on my hands and immediately feel like I need to wash them if the lotion/cream does not soak in fast and completely. These lotions deliver. They soak in fast, with no residue, but leaving my skin silky soft.
3. The scents. I love both scents I tried. The Marymint is fresh, vibrant, and energizing. It is strongly minty without being overpowering (a blend of rosemary and peppermint). The Cinngersnap is spicy and reminds me of fall. A perfect blend of cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla. She also offers a Fritanium scent, which is grapefruit and geranium, that I have not tried, but am sure it’s wonderful too!
I especially like to use these lotions right after I get out of the shower. The mint lotion wakes me up and makes me feel alert. I use the Cinngersnap in the evening and find it more soothing. I did notice that when I use the Cinngersnap scent on my face, it feels like it heats up my skin. My face does get a little flushed after applying it and my skin feels hot. For me, it’s not at all unpleasant, but maybe I’m weird. I kinda like the feeling. Am I strange? I suppose others might not like it, or may not experience the same reaction either.
All in all, I am very pleased with these lotions. I love that that they soak into my skin really well, leaving no greasy feeling and are completely safe. I appreciate the care that goes into making these and know that Kristina is devoted to providing the best quality products for her customers. I encourage you to connect with Kristina and No Junque:
Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/NoJunqueSkincare
No Junque Living Site: http://www.nojunqueliving.com/
Thanks Kristina for sending me some product to try out!