FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Read our full terms and conditions here.
Every so often, I get a craving for this crunchy, spicy garlic cabbage and carrot slaw. I love, love, love cabbage, but I don’t eat a lot of it, especially raw, because it is goitrogenic vegetable and not good for people with thyroid problems. That said, when I get a craving for this slaw, nothing will satiate the craving until I eat a big bowl of it. So, I make it every once in a while, gorge on it, and then I’m good for a few months.
The key ingredient in the salad is the lactofermented garlic and garlic brine. The brine gives the dressing an extra kick of deliciousness, plus, it makes the dressing probiotic, so you’re getting lots of good bacteria in your gut! The dressing is so good, you will turn up your bowl and drink the remainder when you’re done with the salad.
Also, if you add the lactofermented red onions, you’re getting another boost of probiotic goodness. You could make this with any type of cabbage, but I most prefer the taste and texture of savoy cabbage. I find it to be more delicate and tender — perfect for this raw slaw.
Like any salad, feel free to adjust the proportions to suit your tastes. This is not a set-in-stone recipe. Sometimes I use a little more or less of something and it always tastes amazing. The red pepper flakes are optional, but it gives the salad a really nice punch of spice. The recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, etc., depending on how much you need.
Coupons and Freebies for Spicy Garlic Cabbage and Carrot Slaw with Probiotic Dressing Ingredients
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Thrive Market has better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂
- 1/2 head of savoy cabbage (approx. 1/2 pound), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh red onion, thinly sliced (or use lactofermented red onions)
- 1 organic carrot, shredded
- 5-10 (or more) cloves lactofermented garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lactofermented garlic brine
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. onion powder
- Sprinkle of red pepper flakes (optional – omit if autoimmune)
- Whisk all of your dressing ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl, preferably one with a lid, so you can shake it all around.
- Prep all your salad ingredients and place them all in the bowl on top of the dressing.
- Put your lid on the bowl and shake all of the ingredients together, until the veggies are coated with the dressing.
- This salad tastes best if you can make it a few hours before the meal, or even the day before, which gives it time for all the flavors to meld together.
- Don’t forget to drink the dressing — it’s full of probiotic goodness if you used the lactofermented garlic and onions!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.