FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Read our full terms and conditions here.
This mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe is one of my all-time favorite desserts. I have always loved anything with mint. This ice cream is rich and creamy and uber satisfying.
Making your own ice cream at home is so much better for you than the junk at the grocery store. Plus, I think it tastes about 1,000 times better!
Once you have a good basic ice cream recipe, you really can create any flavor combination you want. Here is my version of this classic.
I am offering a dairy and non-dairy version, both of which are delicious! The ice cream base is based on my recipe for kefir ice cream, which is just a good all-around ice cream recipe.
For an extra special treat, you could top your mint chocolate chip ice cream with homemade magic shell (and get some coconut oil goodness). 🙂
Intimidated by the thought of making your own ice cream at home? Don’t be! It’s so easy and here are 5 Tips for Perfect Homemade Ice Cream. My passion for homemade ice cream and frozen treats is exactly why I wrote my eBook, The Splendid Scoop. You can learn more about that book here, or read on down to the bottom of this article.
Delicious Obsessions Trusted Product Recommendations
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Thrive Market has better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂
- I get all of my herbs and spices from Mountain Rose Herbs. I have tried so many other brands and have never found the quality, flavor, and aroma to be as good as the herbs I get from Mountain Rose.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (Dairy and Non-Dairy Versions)
I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend.
- 1 quart of heavy cream, kefir cream, coconut cream, or coconut milk (this coconut cream from Aroy-D works AMAZING for ice creams)
- 8 pastured egg yolks (since they are raw, make sure they come from a source you trust)
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar of your choice (whiz in your food processor to make it super fine)
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. peppermint extract (I like it really minty — adjust to your own tastes)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt (I like this super fine Himalayan sea salt)
- 1 cup high-quality dark chocolate, chopped (I like this dark chocolate)
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped very fine (optional)
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs on medium-low speed until creamy. I use my hand-held mixer, but you could also use a blender.
- To the eggs, add the sugar, vanilla, peppermint, and salt. Beat the mixture on low until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the heavy cream or coconut milk into the egg mixture and mix on low until combined and smooth.
- Chill the mixture in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours, or overnight. You want the mixture to be really cold when you pour it into your ice cream maker.
- Once chilled, pour the creamy mix into your ice cream maker. Follow your manufacturer’s instructions for churning. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, pour the mixture into a shallow freezer-safe dish and stick in the freezer. After 45-60 minutes, check it and you should notice that the edges have started to freeze. Stir the mixture well, making sure to break up any clumps. When smooth, return to the freezer. Check again in 30-45 minutes and repeat. Keep doing this until the ice cream reaches the consistency you like. Thanks, David Lebovitz for teaching me this technique a long time ago!
- If you’re using an ice cream maker, when the ice cream is about halfway frozen, sprinkle the chopped mint leaves and the chocolate into the bowl and let them churn down into the ice cream. If you’re doing it the Lebovitz way, you can add the leaves after the first or second freeze.
- When the ice cream is done, pour into a shallow dish and freeze for several hours before serving. If the ice cream sets up too firm, then let it sit out for 5-10 minutes and it will soften. The flavor will be much better after it has warmed up a little.
Want to Learn How to Make Your Own Ice Cream Perfection At Home?
I’ve got you covered in my best-selling eBook, The Splendid Scoop and Other Frozen Treats: Delicious and Easy Dairy-Free Recipes, Plus Tips and Tricks for Homemade Ice Cream Perfection!
When the weather gets warm, nothing is more delicious than a bowl of cold ice cream or a delicious frozen treat. But, when you’re on a restricted diet, finding treats that are suitable for your needs can be tricky. Plus, what happens when you want to make ice cream, but don’t own an ice cream maker? Can you still make tasty treats without all the special equipment?
Yes! You can!
That is why I created The Splendid Scoop and Other Frozen Treats eBook! I, myself, am on a restricted diet for health reasons and when the weather starts warming up over 65 F, I start to get cranky. ? I am definitely a cool weather gal and one way to keep me sane and satisfied during the height of summer is knowing that I can make something delicious, at home, using healthy ingredients that fit my lifestyle.
All of the recipes in this book are dairy, grain, and gluten free. They can easily be modified for the autoimmune protocol as well, making them extra special for those on super restricted diets.
In The Splendid Scoop and Other Frozen Treats eBook, You Will Learn:
- Why making your own ice cream and frozen treats at home is better than buying them at the store (even the organic ones!).
- Tips and tricks for homemade ice cream success.
- How to make ice cream without an ice cream maker (it’s easier than you think!).
- Delicious dairy-free recipes the whole family will love (recipes are also gluten and free and can easily be adapted for the autoimmune protocol as well).
- Extensive resource suggestions for real food, wellness, and beyond.
Don’t let another summer or special occasion pass you by. No longer will you have to watch your friends and family indulge on their favorite frozen treats while you sit on the sidelines due to your dietary restrictions.
Now you can enjoy creamy, delicious, and allergen-friendly frozen treats once again with The Splendid Scoop.