FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission on your sale which allows me to cover a portion of the cost of running the Delicious Obsessions site and free content we provide every week. This has no effect on your price and is simply a cost of doing business from the company you purchase from. I only recommend products or services that I have personally tried and love. You can view it like leaving a tip. Thank you for your support!
When it comes to these cinnamon coconut roasted pumpkin seeds, I seriously have to control myself. It is really easy for me to sit down and eat an entire bowl in one sitting! So, I have to portion out how much I can eat at a time to keep me from going overboard. They are just. that. good.
To me, roasting pumpkin seeds after you've gutted a pumpkin seems like the easiest and most natural thing to do. But, I am constantly amazed at how many people I talk to who don't know how to do it. So, that is why I wanted to share this recipe. It's super easy and delicious. You'll wonder why you always threw those seeds away! The spices can always be adjusted to suit your preference. As a matter of fact, pumpkin pie spice tastes AMAZING on these as well, so if you're in the mood, you could throw some of that in there too!
Now, a quick note. I personally soak these seeds first for 24 hours before roasting. I am not sure that it really does any good, considering that they still have the outside shell on. However, I do it just out of habit. Feel free to skip this step. Or, if you want, you can shell the pumpkin seeds (a lot of work) and then soak them like you would any other seed. Since you probably won't be eating these all the time, it is not going to hurt to skip the soaking. It really is up to you.
Cinnamon Coconut Roasted Pumpkin Seed Recipe
I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend.
- Seeds from pumpkin (we cut up two medium pumpkins and ended up with about 2.5 cups of seeds)
- Virgin coconut oil
- Fresh cinnamon (Vietnamese is my fave. Read why here.)
- Sea salt
1. After you remove the seeds from the pumpkins, you have two choices: (1) remove as much of the slimy membranes as possible from around the seeds, or (2) just throw it all on a pan and stick it in the oven. Since I like to soak mine in salt water, I prefer to remove the membrane. It's not that hard. Just remove the bigger pieces and then throw the seeds in a bowl and fill with water. Stir the seeds around with your hand a little and most of the membrane will sink to the bottom of the bowl. You can then skim off the seeds and throw them in a colander and rinse. If tehre are little bits of membrane left, it's no biggie. I just like to get most of it out.
Or, if you've not soaking them, just spread the seeds (membranes and all) out on a sheet pan and skip on to step 4.
2. If you're soaking them, dissolve 1 tbsp. sea salt into 2 cups of water and place your seeds in there. Cover and leave out to soak for 24 hours. I like to put mine in my oven where it stays a tad warmer.
3. After the 24 hours is up, rinse the seeds and then put them on a sheet pan or your dehydrator trays.
4. If you're using a dehydrator, follow the manufacturers instructions for dehydrating seeds. I usually dehydrate mine at 100 degrees for around 14-18 hours.
5. If you need to use an oven, pre-heat your oven to the lowest temperature possible and then add put the seeds in. Dehydrate in the oven until the seeds are crispy. This takes about 4 hours at 160-170 degrees in my oven.
6. When the seeds are crispy, remove from the oven and toss them in a couple tablespoons of melted coconut oil (the Green Label Virgin Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions has a great flavor), fresh ground cinnamon, and sea salt. Feel free to add any other spices you might want in at this point. If you wanted to add a little sweetness, you could throw in some sweetener of your choice at this time.
7. When all of the seeds are coated, spread them out on the sheet pan and throw them back in the oven for about another hour (I keep my oven at 170). You want most of the oil to be absorbed into the seed and they should be a golden brown color.
8. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in an airtight container. And, please, try not to eat them all in one sitting!
Sometimes You Just Need a Good Snack!
If you’re reading this blog, chances are you’ve embarked on your gluten-free journey, but are missing your favorite snack foods. You’re bored with all of the gluten-free options out there (which, let’s face it, aren’t all that healthy). Let me ask you a few questions:
- Are you new to a real foods diet or just bored with eating the same thing every day?
- Are you in need of healthy snack ideas for your whole family?
- Would you like recipes that are easy, delicious, and healthy?
If you answered yes to any of these, then my eBook, Gluten-Free Snacks, is for YOU! This book features delicious real food snack recipes from an established community of real food bloggers. All of the recipes featured in this ebook are tried and true recipes that have been put to the test of both preparation and taste.
Long before blogging and social networks, trading recipes has been a way to connect and transfer culture, nourishment, and love from the heart of the home (the kitchen) to others. So, in the spirit of old-fashioned cookbooks produced by schools and churches, each cook featured in this book has provided her BEST recipe, so it winds up a collection of the best of the best!
You will love all the new ideas and new flavors in this book. Clear, easy to follow instructions, beautiful photographs, and accessible ingredients will make this book a favorite resource.
Feed your family healthy and nourishing gluten-free snacks every day without sacrificing taste! These snacks are a great way to add variety to your family’s diet. Healthy snacks are what keep us going between meal times, giving us the energy and sustainable blood sugar that we need to power through our to-do list.
It's time to ditch the food boredom and embrace deliciousness once again! The Gluten-Free Snacks eBook is your ticket to healthy, delicious, well-balanced snacks to keep you energized and focused no matter the time of day or activities you’re enjoying! Learn more about this eBook and how to download your copy of Gluten-Free Snacks here (or click on the image below).