FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission on your sale which allows me to cover a portion of the cost of running the Delicious Obsessions site and free content we provide every week. This has no effect on your price and is simply a cost of doing business from the company you purchase from. I only recommend products or services that I have personally tried and love. You can view it like leaving a tip. Thank you for your support!
Many of you have seen my post 52 Uses for Coconut Oil – The Simple, The Strange, and The Downright Odd! Well, when I created that post, I was shocked that I could come up with 52 ways to use coconut oil. Lo and behold, there are many more ways than that!
- You can read the Original 52 Uses for Coconut Oil (in case you missed them)
- Check out my NEW printable versions of the 122 Uses of Coconut Oil here.
- Check out these fun graphics with various uses of coconut oil on them here.
The following uses are all suggestions from readers – both from comments on the post and from emails I received or discussions with friends and family. The original 52 uses post was by far my most commented on post. People from all across the globe were excited to share their many uses for coconut oil. It was fascinating to see how other people are using this food. Comments are still coming in daily.
So, instead of forcing everyone to read through 400+ comments, I have pulled out the new uses and compiled them in this post.
DISCLAIMER: Please note, these uses are not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. They are simply testimony of people who have used coconut oil for various things and have had success. Also, please remember that what works for one person may not work for another person. It is always wise to consult with your doctor before changing your diet. In the case of pets, it's a wise idea to consult with your vet before changing your pet's diet.
Some uses are were covered in the original 52 uses, but readers have elaborated on some of them and I thought their tips were helpful.
70 More Uses For Coconut Oil (in no particular order)
53. Rub the inside of your nose with coconut oil to help with runny noses, allergies, sore nostrils, etc.
54. Use on a newborn's bottom to help keep the meconium from sticking to the skin.
55. Use as a guitar string lubricant.
56. Massage into tired, achy, or sore muscles (adding a couple drops of essential oil is nice).
57. Mix with oregano oil or tea tree oil and use on athletes foot or other fungal infections.
58. One person started using coconut oil and noticed that it helped their colitis symptoms.
59. Use as a mascara brush cleaner.
60. Brush on your eyelashes for an eyelash strengthener.
61. Use on pimples and acne.
62 Use on toast instead of butter (there were a couple comments that it makes the best cinnamon toast ever!).
64. Use a little bit on a damp cloth to clean a scummy shower. Wipe with coconut oil, then spray with white vinegar and wipe dry.
65. Use to treat lice (many, many comments on the success of this!).
66. Use to help prevents stretch marks for pregnant mothers (many comments on the success of this too!).
67. Mix with garlic and keep on hand for extra flavorful cooking and baking.
68. Use as the carrier oil for homemade baby wipes.
69. Use on warts and/or moles.
70. Whip in your mixer for a fluffy body moisturizer that stays soft year round.
71. Use on color-treated hair for extra conditioning hair treatment.
72. Mix with nutmeg and use on blemishes (leave on for 10-15 minutes and then wash off).
73. Use to soothe burns (only apply after the initial heat from the burn is gone. Do not apply to burns that have not “cooled” or else it will trap the heat in the skin).
74. Mix in your hot coffee or tea.
75. Use on new tattoos to help with healing.
76. Mix with baking soda for a facial scrub.
77. Use to help control and reduce eczema and/or psoriasis symptoms.
78. Massage into your dog's skin to help with dandruff.
79. Add a spoonful to your dog's food to help with arthritis, or other joint/ligament problems, digestion issues, and weight control.
80. Use as a non-toxic flea treatment (many comments that this really works!).
81. Use to soothe hot spots on your dog's skin.
82. Take a spoonful about 20 minutes before a meal to help curb your appetite.
83. Helps treat thrush.
84. Helps with bladder infections and symptoms.
85. Helps smooth wrinkles and shrink pores.
86. Helps with yeast infections (both internal and external).
87. Use instead of mineral spirits to clean hands and brushes after using oil-based paints.
88. Use to sooth sore throats (let a little dissolve in your mouth and slowly run down your throat).
89. If you wax your skin at home, use to prep your skin and remove excess wax from your skin.
90. Some recommend coconut oil for patients with ADHD and Autism.
91. Use to treat ringworm.
92. Use to make homemade soap.
93. Use to make homemade lip balm.
94. Use coconut oil to detail the inside of your car (add a little to a soft cloth and polish).
95. Use to help with ear infections. Put a few drops into your ear at the first sign of an infection.
96. One person said that it seems to have helped soften kidney stones to help them pass easier.
98. Use to lubricate kitchen scissors when cutting sticky foods (like dates, marshmallows, etc.).
99. Mix with oil of oregano and use at the first sign of a cold sore.
100. Mix with a drop of lavender oil and use to help soothe piles and hemorrhoids.
101. For expecting mothers, use to massage on the perineum daily starting at 7 or 8 months (tip from a midwife).
102. Mix with cinnamon and oatmeal for a face scrub.
103. Use to clean the inside of your dog's ears.
104. If you use a mouthguard, use coconut oil as a cleaner. Just wipe some on your mouthguard and let it sit during the day. Rinse well before using. Use a thin layer on the guard each morning to help keep it clean.
106. One person used it to treat a sty on their eyelid.
107. One person used coconut oil to get purple lipstick out of a green rug.
108. Use to help with menopausal dryness (Dr. Oz recommends this).
109. Use on your plant's leaves instead of chemical-filled leaf shine. Just dab a small amount on a soft cloth and wipe your plant's leaves with it.
110. Use a dab on a canker sore to help soothe the pain and speed healing.
111. Use to remove chewing gum from your shoe, carpet, or other unsavory areas where gum has gotten stuck.
112. When given to cats, it seems to help with the hairball issue (tip from several cat lovers).
113. Feed to your dog to help improve doggie breath (I can personally attest to this).
114. Use to soothe pink eye infections (a couple readers attested to this).
115. Some say coconut oil can help with ulcers by fighting against the H-Pylori bacteria.
116. Use instead of soybean or canola oil for frying.
117. Add coconut oil to your soups for added nutrition.
119. Make your own peanut butter (or other nut butters) with coconut oil.
120. Use coconut oil in homemade infant formula.
121. Massage into fingertips to soothe and prevent hangnails and ingrown nails.
122. Use as an udder balm if you own dairy goats and cows (this is directly from a reader). Helps with drying and chapping. Clean udder well, apply coconut oil, milk, and then reapply. When the calf nurses afterwards, she is not getting any poisons from traditional udder balms.
So, let's start the discussion again! What ways do you use coconut oil that aren't already on this list! Can we get the list up to 200 ways? Let's see! Leave me a comment below! 🙂
If you're interested in making your own skin care products, I highly recommend this eBook: “Coconut Oil For Your Skin – Nourishing Your Body From The Outside In” from my affiliate partner. This is a great book that shows you how to nourish your body from the outside in, using coconut oil!
For lots of health-related information on coconut oil, I have found this book from the founders of Tropical Traditions to be very informative. If you're a new customer, you can receive a copy for free on your first purchase, and I get a discount coupon for referring you! Click this link to place your order and receive your free book!