FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission on your sale which allows me to cover a portion of the cost of running the Delicious Obsessions site and free content we provide every week. This has no effect on your price and is simply a cost of doing business from the company you purchase from. I only recommend products or services that I have personally tried and love. You can view it like leaving a tip. Thank you for your support!
Want an easy way to give your hair some TLC? This coconut oil hair treatment is a great conditioner and is perfect for all hair types. It only consists of three ingredients, all of which have long been regarded as great hair conditioners.
My husband tends to have dry hair and a dry scalp and this is a great way to condition both. After we did the treatment, he said that his hair felt smoother and softer, plus it really helped reduce the frizz. Our goal is to do this treatment once a month.
I personally have really fine textured hair so this mask is too heavy to use frequently. But during the winter when my hair tends to get dry and frizzy, this treatment really helps. Plus it's nice to just do a deep conditioning once in awhile to give your hair a special treat. 🙂
Those with thicker, more coarse hair find that this treatment works exceptionally well. A number of people have commented down below about how great it works. I say give it a try and see how it does for you!
About the Hair Treatment Ingredients
First up, we have coconut oil. Coconut oil has been used for hundreds of years in the tropics as a hair conditioner. Coconut oil hair treatments are highly regarded and regularly undertaken in these areas.
For the specific reasons why coconut oil is beneficial for the hair, I encourage you to read this great article by Brian and Marianita Shilhavy. In the States, coconut oil has recently started to gain popularity as a hair treatment.
The next ingredient is raw honey. Honey has been used for all sorts of things throughout the centuries, and its use on hair is nothing new. Honey is a natural conditioner and is a great way to add shine to your
Honey is a natural conditioner and is a great way to add shine to your hair because it helps attract and hold moisture. The reason it works is that it helps smooth the cuticles of the hair, which makes it softer and shinier.
Honey is great to use on color treated hair for these reasons. It can help keep the color looking fresh and vibrant. Also, due to the antimicrobial aspects of raw honey, it's a great cleanser for irritated scalps.
Lastly, we have the almighty egg. Eggs are full of protein and help smooth frizzy, damaged hair. The yolks are a rich source of vitamins, including vitamin D, which has been shown to promote hair growth (you need to make sure you're getting enough vitamin D in your diet to ensure healthy hair). Eggs are a natural conditioner and can help your hair feel softer and smoother.
The following recipe is perfect for the average man's head of hair. If you have longer hair, then you'll need to double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe.
- If the coconut oil is solid, warm it over low heat until it melts.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the honey. This might take a minute or two of whisking to get the ingredients to combine.
- In a bowl, separate the egg yolk and white (or, you can use the whole egg if you prefer).
- Gently whisk the egg yolk and then slowly add in the coconut oil and honey mixture. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Apply to dry hair and massage into the hair and the scalp. It is helpful to have someone help you with this, if you can find a willing party. That way, they can ensure you get your entire scalp covered. Plus, it always feels good to have someone else massage your scalp, so it will be like a mini-spa getaway! 🙂
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave on as long as you can, even overnight if you're willing. Every so often, you can squish your hair around through the shower cap if you'd like. If you sleep with this mixture in your hair, cover your pillow with an old towel, just in case some leaks out.
- When you're ready to wash it out, just rinse with warm water until everything is removed. If you feel like you hair is still too oily, you can use a gentle shampoo, but if you can avoid shampooing, that is best.
- Dry and style as normal.
- “How Honey Helps Hair“, HealthGuidance.org
- “Coconut Oil Hair Benefits: How to Use Coconut Oil for Natural Hair Health“, CoconutOil.com
- “Repair Your Hair With Egg Yolks“, DailyGlow.com
Check out my skin care videos to learn more!
Since I am a fanatic about keeping my skin and body care non-toxic, I get a lot of questions about what my routine is and what products I use. I created this video to discuss all of that and more. The video below that features a lot of the hair care products that I use, including henna and my favorite clean shampoo.