FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Read our full terms and conditions here.
This recipe came out of the need to use up some canned salmon that had the bones in it. I created it before I really liked canned salmon and knew the benefits of eating a diet with more fatty fish in it.
At first, I was completely disgusted with the fact that it had bones in it and I was worried I wouldn’t be able to eat it. But now, I am a huge fan of these and of canned salmon in general.
The bones in canned salmon (and other canned fish) are a great source of easily assimilated calcium, so there is a great reason to eat it! Plus, with the chopped onions and celery, you never even notice the bones. Even the pickiest eaters will probably like these!
Coupons and Freebies for Salmon Croquettes with Simple Tartar Sauce Ingredients
I am always asked about my favorite ingredients and what I use in my own kitchen. I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. And now, here are the special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:
- Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
- Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Thrive Market has better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂
- I get all of my herbs and spices from Mountain Rose Herbs. I have tried so many other brands and have never found the quality, flavor, and aroma to be as good as the herbs I get from Mountain Rose.
I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend.
- 2 6-oz cans canned salmon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup gluten-free cracker or bread crumbs for patty mixture
- 3 tbsp. finely diced red onion
- 3 tbsp. finely diced celery
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 2 tsp. blackening “Cajun” seasoning (learn how to make your own here)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs for breading
- coconut oil or olive oil for frying
Simple Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup homemade mayonnaise (or this is a clean brand)
- 1/4 cup pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (or more, depending on how dilly you like it)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Stir all the ingredients for the salmon croquettes together in a large bowl. Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour before forming into patties. This will help the crumbs absorb some of the moisture and help the patties stay together. In a separate bowl, stir together the ingredients for the simple tarter sauce, cover and chill until ready to serve.
Once the croquette mixture is chilled, start some coconut oil heating in a large pan over medium heat. Form mixture into patties, about 1/4 cup per patty, and bread each with the bread or cracker crumbs. Fry in coconut oil until golden brown on each side. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake at 400 for 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Serve with the simple tarter sauce and a squeeze of fresh lemon over the top.