FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Read our full terms and conditions here.
Black radishes are one of those weird veggies that you don’t see too often. While we don’t often see them here in the States, they are used quite frequently in Europe.
I found mine at my local health food store. Sometimes you can find them at your local farmers’ markets in the winter, spring, and early summer.
The flavor is very radishy and earthy, but not spicy like normal radishes. The flavor might be a little strong for some, but those who like root veggies and radishes will love these. While you can eat the skins if you want, it’s not recommended.
Black radishes are high in vitamin C, B vitamins, and sulfur. It is also high in fiber and contains different chemicals that help increase the production of bile, which in turn helps with digestion. It is also an antibacterial for our gut. My NTP recommends consuming a little black radish with every meal. This delicious slaw is a great way to do that, although you could simply eat a few slices of the beet if you prefer.
Black Radish Slaw
Black radish is a unique veggie that we don't find much in the States, but they're high in vitamin C, B vitamins, and sulfur. It is also high in fiber and contains different chemicals that help increase the production of bile, which in turn helps with digestion.
- Ingredients for the Slaw:
- 2 cups black radish, shredded
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 large apple, shredded (optional)
- Ingredients for the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup sour cream, creme fraiche, Greek yogurt, or kefir (use coconut milk or cream for AIP/Autoimmune)
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice (or lemon)
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 5 drops liquid stevia (or a tsp. or two of honey)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Toasted sesame seeds (optional, omit for AIP/Autoimmune)
- Shred your radishes, carrots, and apple.
- Place in a large bowl with a lid.
- In a separate container, mix together all of the ingredients for your dressing and pour over the veggies.
- Toss together and let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour to let everything blend together.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Any chance you could post a photo of the finished dish for black radish slaw? Or is there one and I missed it? Also want to recommend the lacto-fermented black radish available from Earth Fare stores… can’t recall the brand, but it’s heavenly and worth seeking out… comes in a clear plastic pouch, about the size of your hand and around $5 a pack. A little goes a long way as a rich, flavor complimenting condiment 🙂 Also recommend Shaved Fennel Salad from Cooking 101. Thanks for this recipe! [email protected]
My father used to grate black radishes and make a slaw out of them. His mother was from Russia.. Your recipe looks delicious and is so healthy too
Hi Judee! Thanks for stopping by! That is awesome about your father. I had never heard of black radishes until about 8 years ago, but now I love them! 🙂