FTC Disclosure: Delicious Obsessions may receive comissions from purchases made through links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Read our full terms and conditions here.
I think meatloaf is one of those dishes that doesn’t get enough credit. Whenever you mention it, people cringe with a look of disgust on their face. I’m not really sure where the negative image of meatloaf came from, but I love it.
It’s simple and hearty. It can be fancy or basic. It tastes great as leftovers. It’s the perfect meal to make for Sunday dinner. And it saves time because you can make a humongous batch and freeze portions of it for future dinners.
There are many reasons to love meatloaf.
So, whether you’re a meatloaf lover, or a meatloaf skeptic, give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!
Basic Meatloaf Recipe
- 2# grass-fed beef, chicken, turkey or a combination of all three
- 1 cup diced or pureed onion (I like to puree mine – hubby doesn’t like onion chunks)
- 1 cup gluten-free cracker or bread crumbs (or use 1/4 – 1/3 cup of coconut flour)
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp. garlic
- 1 tbsp. all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. blackening seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
Glaze (depends on how much you want):
- Equal parts of ketchup, yellow mustard, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Stir together well.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine the meat, onions, eggs, milk, garlic, and seasonings.
- Using a fork (or your hands), gently combine.
- Add the bread crumbs or coconut flour and stir until evenly distributed.
- For one large loaf, pour ingredients on a sheet pan and shape into a loaf – it will be about the size of a loaf of bread. If you want to cook in a loaf pan, make sure you oil the pan with a little coconut oil and then pack evenly into the pan. You can also make mini loafs by using smaller loaf pans – this method is perfect for freezing individual loafs for quick dinners.
- Pour the glaze over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let stand about 10 minutes before serving. Goes great with garlic cheddar mashed potatoes or your favorite side.