Death by Chocolate Blender Brownies :: Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free, Paleo / Primal

This post may contain affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product or service I wouldn’t use on my own family.

Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis is one of the most common yet uncommonly diagnosed diseases in the world! This event will raise awareness of the autoimmune disease, help with early detection and connect you to proper testing for diagnosis. The Healing Hashimoto’s Summit is online and free from June 13-20, 2016!

Death by Chocolate Paleo Blender Brownies Follow Me on Pinterest

These Death by Chocolate Blender Brownies are undoubtedly one of the richest things I’ve ever made. They’re not for the faint-of-chocolate-heart! Dark and fudgy, and sweetened with only fruit and honey, they’re the perfect thing if you’re craving chocolate!

It’s no secret that I’m a chocolate lover. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, snacks… any time of day is a good time for chocolate! And the darker the better, if you ask me.

Even so, in all my chocolate love I can only eat two of these beauties – and I can usually down half a pan of “regular” brownies!

For those of you fellow chocolate-lovers out there – especially dark chocolate lovers – these are for you. Not only are they dangerously delicious, they’re super easy to make: Throw everything in the blender, pour it in a pan, and bake!

Now you can have death by chocolate whenever often you get the craving.

Death by Chocolate Paleo Blender Brownies Follow Me on Pinterest

If you just happen to be in need of some new ways to include chocolate in your diet, here are some of my other favorites. 🙂

Delicious Obsessions Trusted Product Recommendations for Death by Chocolate Blender Brownies (+ coupons and freebies!)

I am always asked about my favorite brands, so I want to share with you the places I get my ingredients.

If you’re looking for essential oil recommendations, check out the high-quality brand that I use in my own home here.

My affiliate partner, Vitacost, has really good prices on some of the ingredients in this recipe. If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase from Vitacost, and when your order ships, I’ll get a $10 off coupon for referring you. The cool thing about this program is that you can then refer your family and friends through your own link and YOU can get the $10 coupons too! 🙂

Thrive Market is another exceptional online grocery store. They are like Costco and Whole Foods combined in an online format. While they are a membership site, their prices are often cheaper than anywhere else. Check out this post which as a price comparison guide that I compiled between Thrive, Amazon, and Vitacost. If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order and I will get a coupon for referring you.

In addition, my affiliate partner, Tropical Traditions, is where I get all of my coconut products from and if you make a purchase from them through any of my links, you will receive a free copy of their Virgin Coconut Oil book, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.

Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Vitacost and Thrive Market have better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂

I get all of my vanilla beans and other vanilla goodies from Beanilla. I’ve tried a ton of brands of vanilla and vanilla beans and Beanilla is by far the best quality I’ve found! Make sure you check out their Bean Bucks Rewards program so you can save on future orders.

Death by Chocolate Brownies

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. All funds earned go to help support the maintenance of this site and free content. Thank you! :)
Author:
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Gluten, Grain, and Dairy Free
Serves: 9
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 355 and grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.
  2. Place everything in blender except baking soda and puree until smooth.
  3. Pulse in baking soda and spread batter into prepared dish.
  4. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until knife comes out clean.
  5. Let cool for about 10 minutes before removing.

What is your favorite chocolate recipe? Leave a comment and link below!

About Raia Torn

Raia is a homeschooling, stay-at-home-mom of four crazy kids. After the birth of her third child in 2010, she was diagnosed with “trauma induced gluten intolerance”. This discovery turned her whole-wheat-bread, pasta-filled life was turned upside down and set her on a mission to find out what healthy really meant for her family. Aspiring to encourage other moms wandering the allergen-infested isles of grocery stores, she started her blog, Raia’s Recipes, to share her love of simple, allergy-friendly baking (and chocolate). Her easy, healthy recipes prove that eating allergy-free doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive! When she’s not whipping up something new in the kitchen, Raia enjoys trying to keep the plants in her backyard garden alive, hanging out with her church family, eating (allergy-friendly) pizza, and dreaming about all the things she would do if she had an acre of land to homestead.

1. Have you ever made these in mini muffin tins? I now bake nearly everything in them because they are already portion sized!!! I’m going to try this in my tins…..

Pam
    Posted 05/18/15

• Hi Pam – I have not tried it that way, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t work. They may be a little fudgy, but oh so good! 🙂

Posted 05/19/15

• Made them tonight! WOW! They are delicious! And very fudgy! I think I needed to bake them a little longer and also grease the tins (the brownies actually don’t have any oil in them so this is really needed) but my tins are non stick so they came out – just a little mangled. I also used my food processor and I think it worked well. I’m dying to add just a TBL of gluten free flour to them to firm them up just a tad….I have more bananas so I may give it a try! Seriously this is delicious! I tried the chunky monkey cookies and they were awful – but this I can even eat the batter….

Pam
        Posted 05/19/15

• Awesome! So glad you liked them! We made them this week as well (with carob since I can’t have chocolate) and they were amazing! 🙂

Posted 05/22/15

2. These just look SOOOO delicious! I have decided to make these for my birthday “cake” tomorrow. Can’t wait to try them! They are GAPS legal, too! 🙂

3. Jessica Espinoza thank you for your comment. My son is allergic to chocolate. I adore it. I’m always looking for something to make for him that’s equivalent to our brownies. I can make a carob batch for him and a batch for the rest of us.

Cynthia
    Posted 05/24/15

• Hi Cynthia! I thought they turned out AMAZING! I really hope you guys like them! 🙂

Posted 05/25/15

4. These look delicious! Are they banana-tasting all?

kathy
    Posted 05/24/15

• Hi Kathy – They do have a hint of banana flavor. I just made them the other day, but had to use carob instead of cocoa since I can’t tolerate chocolate in any form. It may be that the carob is not as strong as the cocoa and doesn’t mask the banana flavor. I don’t mind the banana flavor at all though and it wasn’t overpowering to me. Hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 05/25/15

5. Do the brownies taste banana-y? I want to make these, but also want to give my kids a heads up. Having said that, i’m okay if they decide i should eat them all =D

Posted 05/25/15

• LOL! 😉 They do have a hint of banana flavor. I just made them the other day, but had to use carob instead of cocoa since I can’t tolerate chocolate in any form. It may be that the carob is not as strong as the cocoa and doesn’t mask the banana flavor. I don’t mind the banana flavor at all though and it wasn’t overpowering to me. Hope you guys (or just you) enjoy! 🙂

Posted 05/25/15

6. Yummy!!! However, these are a little on the bitter side. Is there a way to incorporate more coconut milk for a less bitter version? I love the dark chocolate, but my son is a milk chocolate fan, and he does like these, I would like to offer him a more “milky” option though.

Thanks.

Janet
    Posted 05/25/15

• Hi Janet – It depends on the type of cocoa you use. Some are much more bitter than others. If the type you’re using is too bitter, then I would cut back on the cocoa just a tad. Maybe try 3/4 cup of cocoa to start. If the batter is too thin, you could add 2-3 tsp. of coconut flour to help soak up a tad of the moisture. Hope that helps!

Posted 05/25/15

7. Do you have a source for Paleo chocolate chips? Enjoy Life ones are great for special diets, but ack! Sugar 🙁

Stephanie M
    Posted 05/25/15

8. These look delicious, and I love that they’re lower in added sweeteners than your typical brownies (and no nuts!), I’m sold! Definitely going to have to try these out soon. Thanks!

Lauren
    Posted 05/29/15

9. Unbelievably delicious and I love that I don’t have to use coconut or almond flour like my other paleo brownie recipes!!! These were a hit, super moist and super easy! Thank you.

Normalee
    Posted 06/14/15

• Awesome Normalee! So glad you guys liked them! This has quickly become one of our favorite recipes. I have to use carob instead of cocoa, but they are still delicious! 🙂

Posted 06/14/15

10. I just got these out of the oven. It’s more like a small cake than a brownie to me. The recipe doesn’t say what type of chocolate chips–milk or semi-sweet– and it also said 355 degree oven, which I have never heard of that, so I set the temp at 350. I love to make brownies. They were very easy and fast to make. I will be honest, these are not my favorite. Healthy alternative, yes, but a bit disappointing.

Michelle Walker
    Posted 06/14/15

• Hi Michelle – Sorry the recipe didn’t turn out as you expected! You could use any type of chocolate chip in this recipe. We’ve made it several times and it always comes out great. Most ovens can be set to any temperature between 170 and 500. My oven is digital, and goes in 5 degree increments, but even with a knob you’d be able to get pretty close to that. Thanks for stopping by!

Posted 06/16/15

11. I’m dying to make these tonight! But what does “Pulse in” baking soda mean? I tried to google that expression but couldn’t find an answer.

Michelle R
    Posted 06/20/15

• Hi Michelle – You would simply add the ingredient a little at a time while using the “pulse” button on your blender! Hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 06/24/15

12. can I use maple syrup instead of honey? i prefer the taste.

Cynthia
    Posted 06/26/15

13. I can hardly wait to make them tomorrow. I just happen to have bought the ingredients today. I’m with you on the darker the richer the better on chocolate.looking forward to tomorrow!

Carnetta
    Posted 07/09/15

14. What would be a good substitute for the bananas?

Taylor
    Posted 07/13/15

• Hi Taylor – There really isn’t a perfect sub for the bananas, but you could maybe try using pumpkin or some sort of pureed squash. It will change the flavor though. Hope it works well! 🙂

Posted 07/16/15

15. Do we need to put the coconut milk in the fridge overnight before making these, or just straight off the shelf in all its liquid goodness form?

Kristen K.
    Posted 07/15/15

• Hi there! No need to chill first. You can just use it straight off the shelf! 🙂

Posted 07/16/15

16. Hey,

If you don’t want the honey, do you think it would work with crushed up dates?? Maybe add a little water to make it more like honey?

Thanks

Judi
    Posted 07/18/15

• Hi Judi – Yes, I think that would work. With some water, it would be like a paste, which should be just fine. 🙂

Posted 07/23/15

17. Would it be ok to use almond milk instead of coconut? I am allergic to coconuts 🙁

skm
    Posted 07/30/15

18. Can’t wait to try these!! I’m trying to stick to a certain number of calories a day, so I was wondering if you had the nutrition information on these? Thank you!!

Michelle A.
    Posted 08/07/15

19. Hi! Thank you so much for this recipe! I normally don’t take the time to post a comment on each recipe I’ve tried but I must say this is by far the best paleoish brownie recipe I’ve tried. Would I be able to sub apple sauce for the bananas? Have you tried that? I love how moist the bananas make it but I try not to have bananas. If so would a cup for cup work?

Thanks so much for sharing!

Daniela
    Posted 08/10/15

• Oh wow, Daniela! Thank you so much for commenting! I’m glad you guys liked them. Applesauce might be a perfect sub. I don’t know why I didn’t think of that! I’ll have to give that a try next time I make them. I imagine a cup for cup would work. If you try it before I do, let me know how they turn out! 🙂

Posted 08/12/15

20. What is the portion size and nutrition information on these.. i.e calories sugars carbs…etc..be nice to know…

Tracy
    Posted 08/17/15

• Hi Tracy – Sorry, I don’t have that info! I don’t provide nutrition info on my recipes since I feel there is much more that goes into health than counting calories, fat, etc. There are a number of sites you could use. This one seems to be one of the most popular: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator. Have a great night! 🙂

Posted 08/18/15

21. What are you thoughts on using gelatin eggs or flax eggs or chia eggs (or a combo of the aforementioned) in place of real eggs to make this? We are primal and can do some dairy and nuts – if that helps – but my one year old is egg free at the moment.

Vanessa
    Posted 08/18/15

• Hi Vanessa – The gelatin eggs work great in this! I just tried it a couple weeks ago. The texture was a lot lighter and fluffier, but it was DELISH! 🙂

Posted 08/18/15

22. I have a question…does “2 T.” mean 2 tablespoons and “2 t.” 2 teaspoons? Capital T = tablespoons…low case t = teaspoons…
    Thank you!!!

Elise
    Posted 08/23/15

• Elise – “T” means tablespoons. I normally change the measurements to be a little more clear, but I must have forgotten on this one. I’ll go update it now! 🙂

Posted 08/24/15

23. Can i use cacao powder? Taste wise do you think it would be similar?

Sarah
    Posted 08/26/15

• Hi Sarah – I would think so, though we’ve not tried it. I would imagine it would work though. Let us know how it goes if you try it!

Posted 08/27/15

24. Hello everyone!!!

So today I made this recipe and I have to say that I loved it. Tho I did a little changes. As I added one banana and one avocado instead of 2 bananas (as I read about other people coment that it tastes quite bananany) also I add only 1/2 cup of cocoa instead and high protein greek yogurt(total 0%) instead of the coconut milk. Maple syrup instead of honey and a bit of Stevia as still was a bit strong. And turn out amazing! !!! Thanks for sharing.

Patricia
    Posted 08/28/15

25. Can you use flaxseed and water for the egg replacement?

Amber
    Posted 08/30/15

• Amber – I have not made this recipe with a flax egg before. I’ve done it with gelatin egg substitutes and it works great. If you try the flax, let us know how it turns out!

Posted 08/31/15

26. Made these tonight SO GOOD! I did sub out pumpkin for the bananas and I did 1/2 carob powder and 1/2 dark chocolate powder those were the only changes and I cannot get enough! Thank you for such a great recipe 🙂

Crys
    Posted 10/18/15

• Oh cool! Those sound like great subs! Thank you for taking the time to stop by and share. I’m sure it will be helpful to others too as they experiment with the recipe! 🙂

Posted 10/20/15

27. I just made these today. They were more like chocolate cake and insanely good. My kids even loved them. Since they are so rich you really can have just 1 and enjoy them. Thanks for the great recipe.

Jd
    Posted 10/21/15

• Yay! SO glad you guys enjoyed! This is still by far one of my favorite recipes! 🙂

Posted 10/26/15

28. Ugg…

Today I learned that cocoa and cacao powders aren’t the same thing.

My advice is to not use cacao powder for this recipe 😉

I will try again when I buy some cocoa powder.

Larry
    Posted 10/29/15

• Hi Larry – You can definitely switch them out if you prefer! I think it really comes down to personal taste preference! 🙂

Posted 11/04/15

29. THANK YOU! You saved my night, I needed brownies and Betty Crocker was looking more tempting by the moment!

Karissa
    Posted 11/16/15

30. With the holidays in a few weeks, I wanted to try these ahead of time. (Plus its brownies so bonus!)

I just made them and they are delicious!!! I didn’t have coconut milk/water so I did a Tbs and a half of coconut oil instead and because I like my brownies with huge chunks of chocolate chips I stored them in at the end. It still came out great! The brownie was perfectly flaky and gooey at once; I’m talking melt in your mouth soft. I’ll definitely be making them more often and for Christmas!

I highly suggest this recipe. Just delicious!

KLarsen
    Posted 12/10/15

• OOOOOH Yum! Sounds delicious! These brownies are SO amazing! I’m craving them now. May need to whip up a batch! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!

Posted 12/13/15

31. I love these brownies!!! I was wondering, could I also use coconut sugar instead of honey?

Marilyn Robinson
    Posted 12/13/15

• Hi Marilyn! So glad you like them! They are one of my all-time favorites! You could definitely use coconut sugar instead of honey. You may need to add a touch more liquid to the recipe to make up for the lost honey. Maybe start with a tbsp and add a little more if needed. 🙂

Posted 12/13/15

32. Don’t like bananas. Could it be substituted with boiled sweet potatoes? The dish looks amazing so I want to try it.

Mrs. D Sandhu
    Posted 12/16/15

• We haven’t tried it, but I always tell people they are free to experiment! If you try it let us know how it turns out! 🙂

Posted 12/20/15

33. Looks like they are frosted/glazed. What’s that recipe? Thanks.

Julie
    Posted 12/18/15

• Hi Julie – Nope! That is just the top of the brownies. They are a little shiny on top. No glaze or frosting, though I bet either one would be delicious! 🙂

Posted 12/20/15

34. OMG. I feel like I am being a bad girl when I eat these. I didn’t expect them to be this amazing and this easy to make. I can’t wait to tweek them with different things like Peanutbutter. They are such a sin.

jes
    Posted 12/22/15

• LOL Jes! Me too! I was JUST craving these today and need to make another batch. I bet PB would be awesome! If you try it, let us know how it turns out! YUM! 🙂

Posted 12/22/15

35. These brownies is just what the doctor ordered!! My go to recipe!! Yay, thanks for sharing an amazing recipe!

Anita
    Posted 12/24/15

• Yay! Glad you liked them Anita! I am getting ready to go make a batch RIGHT NOW! 🙂 Yum!!

Posted 12/24/15

36. Has anyone tried replacing the banana with applesauce?

Joannah
    Posted 12/30/15

• Hi Joannah – I’ve never tried it, but I think it would probably work just fine in this recipe. If you try it let me know how it works! 🙂

Posted 12/30/15

37. wicked. Made them into mini muffins, they’re awesome

Melissa
    Posted 01/17/16

• Awesome Melissa! So glad they turned out well. It’s good to know they work well as muffins too. I will have to give that a try next time! 🙂

Posted 01/18/16

38. Do you think if I omit the honey and chocolate chips they will turn out okay? What going to try and make them Whole30 approved but wasn’t sure how big of a part the honey was, thoughts? Could I sub the honey with apple sauce? Thanks!

Christin
    Posted 01/19/16

• Hi Cristin! I’ve never made them without the honey, but I think subbing applesauce for that would work fine (they just won’t be as sweet). And leaving the chips out would be fine too. If you try it, let me know how it turns out and I can make a note in the recipe. 🙂

Posted 01/20/16

39. Can you use splenda instead of honey in the Death by Chocolate Blender Brownies, also can you leave out the chocolate chips. We are eating low carb.

Mary
    Posted 01/20/16

40. Just made these brownies and love them! I didn’t have any coconut milk on hand, so I just used almond milk and they were great!

Taryn
    Posted 01/29/16

• Awesome Taryn! Thank you for stopping by! So glad you guys loved them! It’s one of my favorite recipes! 🙂

Posted 01/31/16

41. These are extremely banana-tasting. HOWEVER. They are absolutely scrumptious and very dark and fudgy. Ultimately, I decided to lean into the banana and made a pseudo-banana’s foster topping for them. I browned some ghee and coconut sugar in a saute pan with sliced bananas and then poured some over a brownie and may or may not have also topped it with coconut ice cream. My excuse is that I needed to use it up. Definitely more of a dessert than a snack, but then brownies are never going to be health food. Might as well go the extra mile!

Amanda the accidental chef
    Posted 01/30/16

• Ooooh, yum! That sounds AMAZING! I love bananas foster. One of my favorite desserts. That sounds simply divine! 🙂 So glad you guys liked them!

Posted 01/31/16

• I agree, the banana flavor came through in a much more overpowering way than I was expecting. I was hoping the cocoa would mostly negate the banana, but I was wrong. Some people may think this is a fine combination, but when I eat a brownie, I’m expecting to taste chocolate almost exclusively. I was thinking that maybe cutting back to one banana and substituting something else like almond or coconut flour might be a reasonable compromise, but I think even that might still be too much banana. Perhaps I’ll try sweet potato instead of banana altogether.

Robert
      Posted 02/04/16

• Hi Robert – The sweet potato might be lovely! I will have to give that a try some time and see how it turns out. You could perhaps try some applesauce too and a touch more flour and see how that would work. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

Posted 02/05/16

42. I tried these last night and they didn’t come out well. The texture was more like a crepe. I wouldn’t recommend

Smith
    Posted 02/11/16

• Hi Smith! So sorry they didn’t work for you! I wonder if it was a difference in the brands of ingredients you were using? We never have any issues with them. 🙁

Posted 02/14/16

43. These brownies just redeemed my paleo life! Made them exactly from the recipe with a sprinkling of maldon sea salt – thank you!!!

America
    Posted 02/13/16

• Awesome! So glad you guys liked them! Love the addition of the sea salt! YUM! 🙂

Posted 02/14/16

44. Subscribe

Lisa
    Posted 02/23/16

45. Bought all the ingredients. Can’t wait to make them tomorrow!

Katie
    Posted 03/06/16

46. I have a banana allergy- any idea for substitutions?

Kassie
    Posted 03/14/16

• Hi Kassie – We’ve never tried it, but a few people suggestions pumpkin or some sort of squash. Sweet potato might be another option. Hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 03/15/16

47. I try recipes off the internet all the time and I NEVER comment, even on a successful recipe, but I absolutely had to. These are the best brownies ever. I’m always skeptical when it comes to paleo baking because most times, it doesn’t come out even close to the “real thing” but with these, I swear I couldn’t even tell they were paleo. Thank you so much for this!!!!!! I needed brownies in my life!!!!

Samantha
    Posted 05/01/16

• Oh WOW Samantha! Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate it! 🙂 We are thrilled that you liked them enough to come back and comment! 🙂

Posted 05/04/16

48. These are so amazing! Made them today and loved them! Thank you for the recipe!!

Shelby
    Posted 05/14/16

• So glad you liked them Shelby! They are one of my all time favorite recipes! YUM!!!

Posted 05/20/16