3 Ingredient Plantain Sandwich Rounds :: Grain, Gluten, Dairy, Egg, Nut, and Seed Free, Autoimmune Paleo

This post may contain affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product or service I wouldn’t use on my own family.

The Detox Project: Find Out Why Detoxification is Critical to Your Health.

Plantain Sandwich Rounds (grain, gluten, dairy, egg, nut, seed free, autoimmune paleo) // deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

{Today I would like to give a warm welcome Tyler, author of The Primitive Homemaker. She creates some delicious autoimmune friendly recipes on her site and today, she shares her recipe for these great sandwich rounds, which are AIP friendly! ~Jessica}

~~~~~

Who doesn’t love a good sandwich?

I know it’s something I’ve definitely missed on the autoimmune protocol. Collard wraps and lettuce buns are great, don’t get me wrong, but I sure did a miss those two chewy, carbohydrate-rich slices with neatly piled meats and vegetables in between. 🙂

Plantains have quickly became my favorite ingredient because they are so delicious and versatile. This recipe is so simple (and delicious) that you’ll want to eat them all up in one day.

The first day I made them, my husband and I made burgers, veggie sandwiches, and ate the left-over rounds by themselves. Not to mention that my toddler loved them and that really says something.

These tasty sandwich rounds are gluten, grain, sugar, nightshade, dairy, egg, nut, and seed free, but amazingly not flavor-free. If you’re on any sort of restricted diet or have food allergies, this is a must try!

I can’t wait to hear what all you use these for! This recipe makes about 8 sandwich rounds, which will serve 4 people. With only 3 ingredients, these are a cinch to whip up! I hope you enjoy!

Never peeled a plantain before? This video will help!

AIP Plantain Sandwich Rounds

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. All funds earned go to help support the maintenance of this site and free content. Thank you! 🙂
Author:
Serves: 4
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. Puree plantains in a blender or food processor.
  3. Add pureed plantain and remaining ingredients to a large bowl. Mix well, until you have a thick, smooth dough.
  4. On a large baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper, add 2-3 tablespoon dollops of your mixture. Use the back of a spoon, or your hand, to smooth the mixture into a round, flat circle. It should come out to be about 3 inches in diameter, and less than ¼” thick.
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until buns just begin to turn golden. For a chewier bun, remove 5 minutes early. For a crispier bun, wait until you see the edges turn a more defined golden color.

Jessica is a real food wellness educator and the founder of the Delicious Obsessions website. She has had a life-long passion for food and being in the kitchen is where she is the happiest. She began helping her mother cook and bake around the age of three and she's been in the kitchen ever since, including working in a restaurant in her hometown for almost a decade, where she worked every position before finally becoming the lead chef. Jessica started Delicious Obsessions in 2010 as a way to help share her love for food and cooking. Since then, it has grown into a trusted online resource with a vibrant community of people learning to live healthy, happy lives through real food and natural living.

1. These sound really delicious, as well as easy. It is good to have an alternative to grains in a bread product. I definitely want to try these. Thank you for the recipe.

Tia
    Posted 06/27/14

• Hope you enjoy Tia!! 🙂

Posted 06/27/14

• Can you use bananas if you can’t find plantains?

Libbie
        Posted 06/17/15

• Hi Libbie – You could try super green bananas, but I don’t think they will work well to be honest. If you do give it a go, let us know how they turned out!

Posted 06/24/15

• I just got done making these and followed the directions to a T. Had to throw the whole thing out because they were stuck to the paper so badly they wouldn’t come off. I really hate wasting food.

bonnie
      Posted 10/05/15

• Hi Bonnie! I am so sorry the recipe didn’t turn out for you. I hate wasting food too! 🙁

Posted 10/06/15

2. Um, brilliant!

• HAHAHA! Yes, Tyler is quite brilliant! She has some FANTASTIC recipes! Definitely go check out her site too! 🙂

Posted 06/27/14

3. Looks great! Can they be made ahead and frozen, or will thawing affect the quality/texture?

Stacy
    Posted 06/27/14

• Hi Stacy – I am not 100% sure, but I will ask Tyler to stop by and give us her expert opinion. I think they would probably freeze just fine.

Posted 06/27/14

• Stacy, I SO wish I could answer this for you; My husband keeps asking me the same thing! Everytime I make these I think “I’m going to make extra so that I can vacuum seal some for later.” Then, we just eat them all. So, if you do try storing them- PLEASE let me know how it turns out so we can note it in the recipe!

Tyler
      Posted 06/27/14

• I am feeding a household of 5 adults, and 4 of us are AIP as a challenge. I made a batch of these and test froze two to see how they did reheated from frozen. They’re great! You could do a huge batch, freeze them, and eat from them for a long time 🙂

Amanda K Torres
        Posted 03/14/15

4. Great recipe! Could you substitute the tapioca flour for coconut instead?

Wini
    Posted 06/28/14

• Hi Wini – Since coconut flour is very different than tapioca, it may not turn out correctly. Arrowroot is a great sub for tapioca. You could try the coconut flour, but we can’t guarantee the end result will work correctly. Hope you enjoy!

Posted 06/29/14

5. Is it better if the plantains are more on the green side or heavily-brown spotted side? Or somwhere in the middle? Definitely trying, just want to make sure I am sing right ripeness. Thanks for the recipe!

SallieG
    Posted 06/28/14

• Hi Sallie – The recipe calls for yellow plantains. The yellow stage will come in between green and brown. Of course if there is some green or some brown on the plantains, that should be fine, as long as most of it is yellow.

Posted 06/29/14

• My experience with plantains is that when they are green they are more mealy/grainy tasting and get sweet as they turn yellow and sweeter as the brown starts to appear. So I’d imagine the finished product would taste accordingly to what stage the plantains are in. I’m excited, about to go make my first batch!

Andrea
      Posted 07/02/14

6. Any ideas as to how much plantain flour I would use for this recipe? Also if using plantain flour would I add more water?

Layla
    Posted 06/28/14

• Hi Layla – I am not sure if you can sub plantain flour for the plantains in the recipe. Perhaps Tyler can stop back by and let us know her thoughts.

Posted 06/29/14

• Layla,

I have never used plantain flour, so I don’t know how much help I’ll be. I’m sure you would need water, to reconstitute the plantain. As far as the amount of flour and water needed, I’m not sure. This thread might answer your question though. Let us know how it works if you try the recipe with plantain flour.

Tyler
      Posted 07/02/14

7. I can’t have tapioca. What about coconut flour?

Nancy
    Posted 06/29/14

• Hi Nancy – Since coconut flour is so different from tapioca, it may not work correctly in this recipe. If you can’t have tapioca, arrowroot powder is a great substitute for tapioca. You could try coconut flour, but I can’t guarantee that they will turn out correctly, as coconut flour is very different from tapioca. Hope you enjoy!

Posted 06/29/14

8. Tapioca and arrowroot are both very high on the GI… any low carb grain free alternatives?

Esther Kaiser
    Posted 06/29/14

• Hi Esther – This recipe was developed using the ingredients stated in it. Plantains are also very high in carbohydrates, so if you’re looking for a low-carb bread, this recipe might not be the best fit, as it is going to be pretty high in carbs. You are welcome to experiment with the ingredients, but we can’t assure that they will turn out the same as how this recipe does. Cheers!

Posted 06/29/14

9. These look great…can’t wait to try! They say nightshade free, but I’m pretty sure cassava root (and therefore tapioca starch made from it) is considered a nightshade. For true AIP, might want to sub arrowroot. Although I find them to have fairly different results with baking.

Laelle
    Posted 06/29/14

• Laelle – From the research I have done, cassava root is not part of the nightshade family. Arrowroot should work if you tolerate that instead of the tapioca. Cheers!

Posted 07/04/14

• There are two types of cassava, one that has cyanide only in the surface of the root which is always peeled off, and the other that has cyanide in all its flesh. Tapioca flour is a by-product of the latter, while cassava flour if made from the cynide-less cassava flesh. So, as you see, the difference between tapioca and cassava flour is quite significant. Also, cassava is okay on AIP. On the other hand I’m making this as we speak with cassava flour instead of tapioca. Will see how it turns out. I’m a huge fan of plantains and cassava. And I feel much better when I use these in my cooking. I’m happy to find a way to reduce my use of almond and coconut flour. Though I don’t do AIP yet, just Paleo, I’m keen to eliminate slowly everything that might undermine my health according to the AIP rules.

Sylvia
      Posted 06/14/16

10. I’m puzzled by paleo recipes that replace gluten-free grains with tapioca starch. It’s pure starch = 104 grams/ cup with a poor nutrient profile. Just because it’s paleo doesn’t mean it’s healthy.

Jewels
    Posted 06/30/14

• Hi Jewels – The starches are fine as long as you can tolerate them. Some people cannot, especially those suffering from metabolic disorders. The great thing about paleo is there are SO many different ingredients that can be used, so there will always be something for everyone. Cheers!

Posted 07/04/14

11. Ah! These turned out SO good! My girls devoured their burgers for lunch today! Thank you Jessica and Tyler! Sharing this one on all avenues!

reneekohley
    Posted 06/30/14

12. I made these tonight and they turned out quite gooey still on the inside. Not enough tapioca? O v we ripe plantains? Any ideas?

stephanie
    Posted 07/01/14

• Hi Stephanie – I am not sure, but I’ll see if Tyler has any ideas. Sorry they did not turn out correctly! 🙁

Posted 07/03/14

13. I just made these so that I could have a “proper” burger for the 4th. I had 3 yellow plantains, so I adjusted the measurements. I made 4 rounds, and then decided to play around with the mixture. I added an egg and some water to thin out the dough into a batter, and attempted some crepes/wraps by cooking them in a non-stick pan with coconut oil. They came out very durable and would work with either savory or sweet fillings. The sandwich rounds look fantastic, so I can’t wait to enjoy them tomorrow! Thanks for this recipe. I’ll definitely be going back to it.

Cynthia
    Posted 07/03/14

• Thanks for stopping by and sharing Cynthia! Glad they turned out well! Enjoy the holiday weekend! 🙂

Posted 07/03/14

14. I made these tonight for burgers tomorrow. They look like they have chalk on the top and are sticky and taste like chalk and are grainy. I added water because there was not enough moisture in the plantain to hold them together. Mine look nothing like the picture and my dough was more like shortbread than dough. Even with the water I had to make them in to balls and press them into a circle on the pan. What did I do wrong.

Shelley
    Posted 07/04/14

• Hi Shelley – Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment. I’m sorry they did not turn out the way you expected. It could have been a difference in the ripeness of the plantains. Since that makes the base of the recipe, the texture issues would most likely be caused by that. I’ll ask Tyler and see if she has any ideas.

Posted 07/07/14

15. I made these today and my experience was less than I had hoped for. My rounds puffed up like burger buns and only by smashing them with my hand did they flatten out. Prepared as the recipe indicated, temp in the oven is correct. My plantains my have been too brown and I may have used a T too much of the dough. They tasted pretty awesome and I am looking forward to a breakfast “egg mcmuffin” style treat tomorrow. Will toast them and see where that takes me…… Any feedback on the puffy thing?

Thanks!

Sky
    Posted 07/06/14

• Hi Sky – That is interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience. I am not sure about the puffy thing, but I’ll see if Tyler can stop by and offer any insight. Glad they still tasted good! 🙂

Posted 07/07/14

16. You a genius! I’m trying these and your pizza crust soon!

megan
    Posted 07/10/14

• Hi Megan – Tyler is a genius! She has a ton of great recipes on her site, so I hope you’ll go check them out!

Posted 07/10/14

17. How do I get them off the parchment paper? They stuck!

dd
    Posted 07/10/14

• Hi DD – They shouldn’t stick to the paper. If they do, just use a spatula to gently loosen them. You could also brush the paper with a tiny bit of coconut oil before baking. Cheers!

Posted 07/10/14

18. Love these ! So glad to use tapioca flour it is difficult to find recipes without coconut flour ( which bothers my system) thanks : )

Beth
    Posted 07/12/14

19. These are amazing! Made a double batch last night and they turned out great. Any idea how many calories in each round? Thanks for the recipe.

Beth
    Posted 07/13/14

• Hi Beth – Thanks for stopping by! So glad they turned out well. I don’t know the nutritional facts for my recipes, but I know there are a number of calculators out there that you can use. You could always just do a Google search for one if you wanted to see the nutritional stats for the recipe. Cheers!

Posted 07/13/14

20. 3 more brown than yellow plantains & 1.5 cups tapioca flour & 1.5 tsp salt made for batter that was just right to spoon onto parchment paper. I had two pans and switched them on the two racks a couple times in my gas oven. By the time they were starting to brown on the edges, the bottoms were starting to brown (I saw after I took them off the parchment) and some of them were starting to puff up, but they fall again once you take them out of the oven!

As for the puffy-ness… I blended my plantains in a Vitamix, so maybe my batter had more air in it than if I’d used a food processor?

In any case, my rounds came out sweet and chewy, and I’m happy with them, though I’ll have to be careful not to eat them all in one day. Thanks!

Erin
    Posted 07/13/14

21. Any thoughts on subbing coconut flour for the tapioca flour? I’m definitely going to try this. Thanks!!!

Lynn

Lynn
    Posted 07/22/14

• Lynn – Coconut flour and tapioca are two very different flours. They don’t work the same way, so if you do decide to try coconut flour, I would only use a tbsp. or two and see what the texture is like. Coconut flour can be very tricky since it is so fibrous and requires a lot of liquid. This recipe hasn’t been tested with any other flours, so I can’t attest to how well they’ll turn out, but if you’re like me, experimenting with recipes is part of the fun! 🙂

Posted 07/22/14

22. Hm, the mixture stuck mostly to the wax paper and i ended up having to scrape it all off and try to shape it back into a circle. They are in the oven now, I really hope they turn out. I’ll stop by and let ya know 😉

Charleen Nicholson
    Posted 08/18/14

23. I added cinnamon, and a swirl of honey, as I was craving a sweet bread. So yummy! Tasted similar to cinnamon raisin bread, but I didn’t use raisins – must be the plantain flavor. These would be great popped in a toaster! Or wrapped around my homemade sausage. Or….

Lisa
    Posted 08/19/14

24. We found the sweetness of these buns off putting, for a savory use, which is what they would be best suited for on the AIP …such as burgers and sandwiches. They are fairly mild tasting though, not as plantain-y as I was expecting. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Tyler – I know how hard it is to develop this type of thing for AIP 🙂 Keep up the good work!

Colleen
    Posted 08/21/14

25. I can’t access plantains in South Africa. So sad as it seems to be great in AIP/paleo recipes. I’m going to do an experiment with your recipe. I’m going to try it with very green bananas and see how it goes. I’ll let you know if it was a disaster or success.

Kathy
    Posted 08/23/14

• Hi Kathy – Thanks for stopping back by and letting us know how they turned out! 🙂

Posted 08/23/14

26. Just tried it. Didn’t work out to bad. A bit chewy in the middle but the taste is good. I added a bit of liquid as the green banana didn’t puree too easily – maybe about 2 teaspoons water. I also added some garlic granules as I think the bananas don’t have much flavour.

Kathy
    Posted 08/23/14

27. Happy, happy, happy days – I can so make these. Straight on my to do list once I get back from the shops this week.

28. I live in a rural area and can’t find plantains anywhere. I have been using winter squash as the starch in some AIP baking so thought I’d give this a try. It worked! I’m sure they were not exactly the same as the plantain ones, but they were great for scrambled egg sandwiches. A little chewy but nicely so. I used 1 cup of squash, and I flipped them halfway through baking.

Addie
    Posted 09/10/14

• Hi Addie – That is a great idea! I have not tried that before, but I’m going to give it a whirl! Thank you for taking the time to stop by and share!

Posted 09/11/14

29. Trying these this weekend with some pulled pork. Thanks for sharing!

Jess
    Posted 10/23/14

30. I don’t have an oven at the moment so I added some water to make them the consistency of thick pancake batter. They were good! A little rubbery, but that’s the cassava flour. Same reason you can make tortillas out of 100% cassava (processed in food processor). Thanks for posting this!

laura
    Posted 10/30/14

• Great tip Laura! I had not thought to make them that way. Glad they turned out well! 🙂

Posted 10/31/14

31. Hi there. I’m wondering if I did something wrong with these. They came out kind of hard on the outside and really gooey on the inside. I cooked them for 25 minutes at 375 (granted, ovens can vary) – but any longer and it seemed like they would have turned into little hockey pucks. Also, the dough was very elastic. Wondering if maybe I needed little more liquid? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!! (I saw another Stephanie also seemed to have the same problem.)

Stephanie
    Posted 11/15/14

• Hi Stephanie – I am not sure. Let me see if Tyler can come offer some assistance. Thanks! 🙂

Posted 11/16/14

32. Hello,
    I made these today and they turned hard on the outside and really gooey on the inside. I used two medium size plantain, could that be the reason (too much tapioca flour)…
    Please advice.
    TIA

Odelya
    Posted 01/29/15

• Hi Odelya – I am not sure why that would have happened. I wonder if they were too big (thick) to cook evenly?

Posted 01/30/15

33. Just made these tonight. A bit sweet, but DH loved them for his meatloaf sandwich!

Sara
    Posted 02/02/15

34. These are the best! We use them for everything but our favorite way is to make pizza with them. We use No-mato sauce and put meat on it and toast in oven. It is delicious. Thank you!

Christine Hazard
    Posted 02/04/15

35. Are plantains something similar to bananas?

Andrea
    Posted 02/11/15

• Hi Andrea – Plantains are members of the banana family, but they are starchier and lower in sugar, which means that when they are ripe, they will still be green in color. If you get them when they are overripe, they may have started to turn yellow or black. While a banana makes a great, raw on-the-go-snack, plantains aren’t usually eaten raw because of the high starch content. They are best cooked and are treated more like a vegetable than a fruit.

Posted 02/12/15

36. This is my favorite grain free bread recipe. I have made it many times. I’ve used these with bacon, meatballs, almond butter, eggs, etc. Everything tastes good with these. The only negative is they do not taste as good leftover as they do right out of the oven. Thank you for this recipe!

Marcella
    Posted 02/17/15

• Awesome! So glad you liked them! Thanks for taking the time to come back and comment! 🙂

Posted 02/22/15

37. I just made these and they turned out nice but not as nice as yours. I baked them in a convection oven at 350 for 20 minutes. They came out very pale. I’ll experiment with 25 degrees less and a bit longer in time. I tried them right out of the oven with tigernut spread. MMMMM. I’m hoping they’ll taste good tomorrow too.

I used a silpat baking mat and the rounds came off perfectly.

Have you experimented with making the ‘batter’ and baking on demand?

I’m thrilled to have found a use for the ‘awkward’ yellow plantain. Thank You!

Heidi
    Posted 02/26/15

• Thanks for stopping by Heidi! I appreciate you sharing your experience. I am not sure about making the batter and baking on demand. I will have to ask Tyler her thoughts on that. I am so glad you guys enjoyed it! 🙂

Posted 03/01/15

38. Hi! Can’t wait to try these. Just one question (sorry if I missed it somewhere) – it says “Serves 4” does that mean it makes 4 total flats (so 2 sandwiches) or 8 total flats (for 4 sandwiches)? Thanks for clarifying!

Maura
    Posted 03/18/15

39. Just made these except I used arrowroot instead of tapioca, rolled them out thin, and cooked them in a skillet in coconut oil to make flatbread. Delicious!

• Awesome! SO glad you liked them! I love the flat bread idea. I need to do that! 🙂

Posted 04/12/15

40. I substituted green bananas. Mine virtually ‘glued’ to the parchment and had to pull the bottom off but were still delicious. Flatbread method sounds the go. Thanks

Kim
    Posted 05/04/15

• I’ve never tried green bananas in this recipe, but I am glad they turned out well despite the sticking! 🙂

Posted 05/12/15

41. I’m partial to some plantain, I grew up on it and leading a gluten free lifestyle this is so ideal.

Charlene @ That Girl Cooks Healthy
    Posted 05/15/15

42. The flavor of these are very good, but as burger buns? Um, no. Wayyyyy tooooo sweet! It was almost like a baked pancake, even with the addition of herbes, garlic and onion powders.

I used 2 large, yellow plantains but could only add in 1/2 cup flour before it tightened up so much I could barely stir it. They were super sticky and definitely looked more like a cookie then a bun. Tried spreading them out with a spatula and they stuck. Trued spreading them out with moist fingertips and they stuck. Couldn’t get them anywhere near 3 inches around nor anywhere close to looking like the above photograph.

Changes for the future: Either green plantains with water added (for the moistness needed)or cooked & cooled radish/yucca/taro. As they become pretty bland once cooked, I think this would be a good change.

Qu Boudica
    Posted 05/17/15

• Hi Qu – Sorry they didn’t turn out well for you! Thanks for stopping back by and sharing!

Posted 05/19/15

43. These were easy to make and I appreciated the video on how to peel a plantain, as this was my first time buying them. I made 10 rounds and used silicone baking mats. I moistened my finger tips with water to spread them out on the pan.

Marcia
    Posted 07/04/15

44. Hi Jessica, I don’t think those plantains were very ripe or they would have peeled easier, like a banana. To make peeling easier you could try scoring the peel by the corner where there is a sort of ridge going all the way down. Hold the knife sideways & score somewhat under the line all the way down, then peel the skin off.

Lorna
    Posted 07/20/15

• Hi Lorna – They definitely could have ripened more, but I don’t like them super ripe, so I wanted to get them used as quickly as possible! When they get super ripe they are very easy to peel! 🙂

Posted 07/23/15

45. Hi Jessica,
    Tried this receipe and found it interesting even though it did not turn out like on your picture. I puzzled how your turned out so different 🙂 . I bought 2 green plantains and waited for them to turn to yellow, but one became yellow earlier,it just started to turn yellow, so I tried it with 1/2c tapioca and 1/2tsp salt. I used parchment cupcake forms. They turned out gooey inside and white outside and stick to the paper. But after I stored them in fridge the gooey part started to looked and tested like bread! And I was able to peel them from paper. The second plantain was more yellow with brown spots and the result was sweeter and not white outside and I used silicon mat. The process was the same… they were gooey right after oven, but breadlike after fridge. Thank you! Will do it again 🙂

Anna
    Posted 07/30/15

• Hi Anna! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! It seems like this recipe varies a lot for people and I can’t figure out why! I am glad they were edible though! 🙂

Posted 08/06/15

46. Did you use cassava flour or Tapioca flour?

Esta
    Posted 08/14/15

• Etsa – These were made with tapioca flour. We have not tested cassava flour in them yet. Even though the flours are very similar, they do not act the same so they are not always interchangeable.

Posted 08/16/15

47. These were pretty good, sort of like a pita. They were a little tough though. Do you think I could add and egg or some baking soda to make these a little fluffier?

Kayleigh
    Posted 10/28/15

• Hi Kayleigh! That is a great question and I don’t know the answer. We’ve only ever made them by the recipe. If you experiment with eggs or soda, let us know how it turns out! 🙂

Posted 10/28/15

48. Hi, I’m a moron and used aluminium foil (well-oiled, mind you) and this mixture of plantain and tapioca flour stuck pretty hard to the foil. So, I instead made something I now call Bagirzacakes (Bagirzadeh is my last name), fried the rest of this goop on an oiled pan, threw some sesame seeds on there. It tastes pretty weird, but weird is what I do, so the name fits. Thanks anyway homegirl! Stay crunchy.

BUSTY RUSTY
    Posted 12/13/15

• Thanks for taking the time to stop by! So sorry they didn’t turn out quite right, but I love the way you saved them! And your comment about weird. LOL! That made me giggle! 🙂

Posted 12/20/15

49. Followed the recipe to a t and these turned out super chewy and hard on the outside:(:(:(

Hannah
    Posted 01/26/16

50. Hello! I’m new to tapioca. Can I use tapioca flour (finely ground) instead of the pearls you have in the link? Is there are reason to use the small pearls? I would like to use the tapioca for a vegan cheese recipe as well, and I think I want to have it finely powdered instead of little balls. Do you pulverized yours? Thanks!

Jocelyn Dunstan
    Posted 04/02/16

• Hi Jocelyn! Thank you for letting us know about that error! They must have changed their listing because it used to link to the flour, but now links to the pearls! You definitely want to use the flour. This is the kind I use: http://amzn.to/201BA78. I am going to go update the recipe above too! Thank you again for pointing that out! 🙂

Posted 04/04/16

51. I was super excited to try this recipe, especially considering all the good reviews in the comments. My little girl has many food sensitivities including grains and eggs, but she loves sandwiches and really misses bread. I made these for her to use as burger buns one night. I was surprised that the recipe calls for *yellow* plantain, and was a bit skeptical about how that would turn out, as I’ve made baked goods using yellow plantains before and they end up quite sweet. For savoury baked goods, recipes usually use green plantains. But I decided to just go with it, since it had so many positive comments, and no one mentioned them being too sweet. But now I am left really wondering how this got so many good reviews with not one complaint about the sweetness! I used yellow plantains with a hint of green – they weren’t even overly ripe. But they turned out quite sweet, as well as kind of gooey on the inside and tough and chewy on the outside. Not the nice soft sandwich “bread” I was hoping for. My daughter did NOT like them with the hamburgers, and I would have to say they really don’t belong with any savoury filling like burgers or sandwich meat. But I will say, I froze the leftovers and I reheat them in the toaster oven for my daughter and she enjoys them as “toast” with sunbutter. But I am left confused as to what I must have done wrong, since my reaction does not match with all the others who commented. I do want to try the recipe again with *green* plantain. But the consistency of green plantains are much different and more dry, so I’m not sure how it will work with the recipe. Maybe if I add a bit if water or oil… Any thoughts as to where I may have gone wrong? And, has anyone tried this using green plantain? Thx!

Hayley
    Posted 04/06/16

• Hi Hayley! Thanks for stopping by! Everyone’s taste buds are different, so it could be that yours are just more sensitive to the sweetness than others? The author of the recipe has only ever made them as the recipe states above and have not had problems with the sweetness (but maybe their tastebuds just don’t taste it the same way yours do). I’ll have to ask her if she’s ever tried it with green plantains and then add a note above based on what she tells me!

Posted 04/11/16

52. Hi, do you think this might work with plantain flour. I cant get fresh plantains. Thanks

Elizabeth cameron
    Posted 04/18/16

• Hi Elizabeth! We’ve never tried it with the flour, just the fresh plantains so we can’t say how well (or if) it would turn out. If you experiment, let us know! 🙂

Posted 04/18/16

53. Made these and they didn’t turn out well at all- they puffed up and stuck to my parchment paper to the point I couldn’t even get them off. Baked the second batch on an oiled cookie sheet and they were still chewy and gooey in the middle but the edges burned. I’m not having much luck with plantains which is super disappointing

G
    Posted 06/08/16

• Oh man, G! I am so sorry this recipe didn’t turn out well for you! 🙁 I wonder if your oven runs hotter than ours? Maybe 375 was too hot?

Posted 06/10/16

54. I use green plantains in mine ( not into sweet either ) You need to add liquid with the green ,I use homemade Kombucha vinegar ,& a little backing soda . I love these I take some with me when we go out to eat .I’ve use kefir all so They were not as good as vinegar( buttermilk might work for the liquid or just use water that works to )I have even made garlic rounds ,an for some thing sweet I added cinnamon , cardamom, ginger, chopped dried fruit, real maple syrup, or honey ( When I went Paleo these really helped . Just remember the size of the plantains changes the outcome so find the wright size that works for you or go by c., or oz. keep trying they are so good when you get it wright , Good lock an GOD bless

Cheryl
    Posted 06/25/16

• Hi Cheryl! So glad you liked them! Thank you for taking the time to stop by and share your modifications! Much appreciated! 🙂

Posted 06/28/16

55. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I have tried a few buns with cassava flour & find them to be grainy…like there is some find sand in them. I even put the flour through a sifter but still got the same results! Can’t wait to try these. I do Have a question, do you use one bun on top & one on the bottom or did you cut the bun to use it for sandwiches or burgers.

patty kinsella
    Posted 06/26/16

• Hi Patty! I hope you guys like it! They are definitely a favorite around here! They tend to be pretty thin so typically you can’t slice them in half very easily so you’d use one on top and one on bottom. Hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 06/28/16

56. Recipe says it serves 4. Does that mean it makes 4 rounds or 8? I’m thinking of using a muffin top pan. Would that work?

Rosalie
    Posted 06/28/16

• Hi Rosalie – Yes, it should make 8 rounds (they’re pretty flat), depending on how big or small you make them. We’ve never used a muffin top pan, but I think that might work. Make sure you oil it really good. Let me know how it turns out. I might have to invest in one if it works well! 🙂

Posted 06/28/16

57. Hi Jes

We are from south africa.
    What is plantains?

Im really trying to live healthy with my family.

I would love to make the plantain sandwiches instead of burger buns.

Please help

Domenique
    Posted 09/04/16

• Hi Domenique! Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing where people are from. I have dear friends who live in South Africa! Someday I hope to visit! Plantains look similar to a banana, but they are a different plant. Here is the Wikipedia article about them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking_plantain. Hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 09/04/16

58. These were great and EASY! Just what I like. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Lisa Cotter
    Posted 09/16/16

• Awesome Lisa! So glad you liked them! Thanks for taking the time to stop back by and let me know! 🙂

Posted 09/19/16