Paleo Egg Rolls (Gluten, Grain, Dairy, Egg, and Nut Free, Autoimmune Paleo Option)

This post may contain affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product or service I wouldn’t use on my own family.

14 million new #cancer cases diagnosed globally per year, but there is good news…join me & learn more!

Paleo Egg Rolls (Gluten, Grain, Dairy, and Nut Free, #Autoimmune #Paleo Option) // deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

{I am so excited to welcome Jennifer from Predominantly Paleo to the site today! She is sharing with us her recipe for Paleo Egg Rolls. I love egg rolls and was sure I’d never eat them again on the paleo diet! I can’t wait to try this recipe! For non-pork eaters like me, I would recommend ground chicken or turkey, though I bet beef would be tasty too! ~Jessica}

Who doesn’t love an egg roll?

They are practically the quintessential Chinese-American finger food, perfect for dippin’ and noshin’.

Have you ever met an egg-roll hater?

Exactly! They really don’t exist!

Well, sadly, those delightful lil’ rolls are wrapped in gluten, stuffed with soy, and fried in undesirable vegetable oils. This is not really the stuff that Paleo dreams are made of!

Well eating healthy should be fun too – and egg rolls should NOT have to be a thing of the past! These little beauties are grain, gluten, soy, dairy, nut, and yucky oil FREE, so you can snack to your heart’s content knowing that your body is gonna love what you are feeding it! Now that’s a meal worth making!

Delicious Obsessions Product Recommendations

My affiliate partner, Vitacost, has really good prices on some of the ingredients in this recipe. If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase from Vitacost, and when your order ships, I’ll get a $10 off coupon for referring you. The cool thing about this program is that you can then refer your family and friends through your own link and YOU can get the $10 coupons too! 🙂

Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Vitacost and Thrive Market have better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂

In addition, my affiliate partner, Tropical Traditions, is where I get my coconut oil, palm shortening, and some of my grass-fed and pastured meats. If you make a purchase from them through any of my links, you will receive a free copy of their Virgin Coconut Oil book, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.

Paleo Egg Rolls (Gluten, Grain, Dairy, and Nut Free, Autoimmune Paleo Option)

I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. All funds earned go to help support the maintenance of this site and free content. Thank you! :)
Author:
Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: Chinese
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Drain your peeled, chopped, boiled yuca and place in a sturdy blender or Vitamix.
  3. Pour in ¼-1/2 cup Avocado Oil and blend until a dough is formed (may be slightly sticky while still warm).
  4. Empty contents onto parchment paper and allow to cool (this will help with the stickiness, if you experience this).
  5. While dough is cooling, brown ground pork in a large skillet with seasonings (garlic salt, aminos, five spice, and ginger).
  6. Add carrots and cabbage once pork starts losing its pink color.
  7. Cook ingredients until meat is cooked through and veggies are softened.
  8. Remove filling from heat.
  9. Now take handfuls of the cooled dough and flatten them into a “tortilla” on a parchment lined baking sheet.
  10. Square off the edges with your fingers, you will want these to be thin but not completely transparent.
  11. Repeat until your baking sheet is full and bake for about 10 minutes (you do not want the edges to crisp, just become more solidified and less doughy.
  12. Remove from the oven and repeat until all of your wrappers are made.
  13. Allow the wrappers to cool before filling them.
  14. Now take one wrapper and spoon about a tablespoon of the meat mixture into the center
  15. As you start rolling the wrapper, tuck the corners into the ends so that the egg roll is closed from all angles.
  16. Repeat until all wrappers are filled – if you have leftover meat mixture you can use it to fill lettuce leaves or make more wrappers.
  17. Heat your avocado oil in a large skillet over relatively high heat (not the highest) – if your oil is not hot enough the egg rolls may stick to the pan.
  18. Fry 3-4 at a time so that you may keep a close watch on them…you will want to brown all sides in the skillet.
  19. Remove from heat once your egg rolls are nicely browned and repeat with the remaining egg rolls which have not been fried.
  20. For Dipping Sauce, combine all ingredients and get dippin’.

About Jennifer from Predominantly Paleo

JenniferJennifer is a wife and mother of 3 in pursuit of better health for her family.
After being gluten free for 4 years, and having a multitude of chronic health issues, she realized there was still too much processed “food” in her pantry and change was needed.  Jennifer began feeding her family more meals from WHOLE foods and less from boxes. Her recipes are predominantly paleo, meaning they are free of grain, gluten, dairy, and refined sugar, but make allowances for a few treats and sweets. She believes food can be medicine when used appropriately and that a few changes now can equate to huge benefits later. Healthy food does not need to be flavorless and void of personality, which she aims to accomplish through her many recipes. You can connect with Jennifer on her site, Predominantly Paleo, or on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram.

Jessica is a real food wellness educator and the founder of the Delicious Obsessions website. She has had a life-long passion for food and being in the kitchen is where she is the happiest. She began helping her mother cook and bake around the age of three and she's been in the kitchen ever since, including working in a restaurant in her hometown for almost a decade, where she worked every position before finally becoming the lead chef. Jessica started Delicious Obsessions in 2010 as a way to help share her love for food and cooking. Since then, it has grown into a trusted online resource with a vibrant community of people learning to live healthy, happy lives through real food and natural living.

1. I love the idea of the wraps, but since yuca is actually tapioca, can this recipe be adapted to using tapioca flour?

Cynthia
    Posted 06/04/14

• Hi Cynthia – I am not sure that would be possible. You need the whole yuca root with the moisture from the vegetable to create the wrapper. You could experiment with it, but it would be a shame if it didn’t come out right. I hope you enjoy!

Posted 06/05/14

2. Is avocado oil safe for cooking then? So far the only real option I’ve seen for using it has been in mayo. Either way I need to plan a weekend to make these, they sound SO good and I have an exceptional local source for pastured pork.

Soli
    Posted 06/04/14

• Hi Soli! Avocado oil is supposed to be safe for cooking. It has a similar fatty acid profile to that of olive oil. I personally don’t use it for cooking though — it’s reserved specifically for my mayo. I prefer to use coconut oil and palm shortening for cooking. Palm shortening is ideal for higher heats, even moreso than coconut oil, with a smoke point of 450 degrees. I can’t wait to make these! 🙂

Posted 06/05/14

• I do not have information on the palm shortening or coconut oil smoke point temperatures, but I know that avocado oil has it at 540, which makes it very good for frying. I learned from a chemestry teacher, long time ago, that the olive oil becomes toxic when heated, hence, a lot of chefs are cooking with olive oil!

Doina Onutu
      Posted 01/02/15

3. These egg rolls sound and look delicious. I can’t wait to try them!! I love the fact it uses lots of healthy and nutritious ingredients.

Anna
    Posted 06/09/14

4. Hello, this recipe looks fantastic but, I cannot eat potato or yucca and curious if cauliflower, turnip, rutabagas, celery root or jicama could work in place of the yucca?

Alyshia Linares
    Posted 08/19/14

• Hi Alyshia – This recipe hasn’t been tested with any of those ingredients, so I can’t really say. Yucca has a very unique texture (sticky and doughy), so I don’t think any of those substitutions would work correctly. Sorry!

Posted 08/23/14

5. Hi…

Can frozen yuka be used instead of cooked yuka?

agathi
    Posted 08/24/14

• Hi Agathi – You will need to cook the yuca root down in order to get it to the right consistency for this recipe. Hope you enjoy!

Posted 08/28/14

6. Does the yucca make a stiff or pourable dough? I don’t have a Vitamix so I’m wondering if it would be better to use a regular blender or a food processor.

Judy
    Posted 10/31/14

7. I made these egg rolls ( I modified ingredients)!! They were GREAT. I didn’t use any meat because I am vegan. And to make the wrappers, I only used one ingredient, yucca, blended in my vitamin; I realized that I forgot to mix oil with it. It turned out super sticky so I put it in the freezer for a few minutes (it still was super sticky but I made it work in the end). I also made the filling with only cabbage, carrots, 2 teaspoons of molasses, 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, and a half garlic clove mixed together in a pan. That’s it! Also, the wrappers of the egg rolls were still too soft after putting it in the oven for 10 minutes, so what I did was afterwards, I put it directly onto the rack (with no pan) for a few minutes until the corners turned brown! Thanks so much for this recipe! It was truly an innovative and awesome idea and I plan on using this recipe a lot!

Jewe
    Posted 11/14/14

8. Hi, and thank you for sharing this recipe! I’m concerned my hubby and son will be able to tell I didn’t use a traditional wrapper. Can you tell the difference in flavor between a traditional wrapper and this yucca-based recipe? We are not GF, and eat quite a bit of flour-based recipes. Thank you!

Shannon Wallace
    Posted 12/16/14

• Hi Shannon – I think it depends on how sensitive their tastes are. I don’t think there is much difference in flavor, but that is just me. I think if the filling is flavorful and you have a dipping sauce with lots of flavor, people would be none the wiser to the switch! 🙂

Posted 12/16/14

9. because these seem so labor intensive I am curious if I would be able to do a couple batches ahead of time and freeze them for quick reheat on busy days?

Sabreena
    Posted 01/02/15

• I have never done it that way, but I think it may work. I will have to try it and make a note of how it turns out! 🙂

Posted 01/02/15

10. Where do you purchase yucca root? I have been craving these since I saw your recipe!

Lisa
    Posted 01/04/15

• Hi Lisa – I find mine at the local Asian markets. Sometimes Whole Foods carries it, but it’s rare.

Posted 01/06/15

11. i like the recipe

the title : Paleo Egg Rolls (Gluten, Grain, Dairy, Egg, and Nut Free, Autoimmune Paleo )

it is not nut free when you still have coconut aminos

I will cook this recipe and substitute grassfed butter for the coconut amimos.

Rick D
    Posted 01/23/15

• Hi Rick – This recipe IS nut free, as coconut is not a tree nut. Coconut is a member of the palm family, which is not related to nuts or peanuts. The FDA confused everyone a couple of years back by adding coconut to the list of tree nut allergens, even though it is not botanically a tree nut. Quote: “Coconut is not a botanical nut; it is classified as a fruit, even though the Food and Drug Administration recognizes coconut as a tree nut. While allergic reactions to coconut have been documented, most people who are allergic to tree nuts can safely eat coconut.” http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Types/food-allergies/types/Pages/tree-nut-allergy.aspx. Hope that helps!

Posted 01/24/15

• Also, butter is not a sub for coconut aminos. Coconut aminos is like soy sauce in flavor. You could sub tamari or soy sauce for the aminos if you are able to tolerate soy. Cheers!

Posted 01/24/15

12. Just remember for the people making this recipe that Yuca and Yucca are two different plants. Yuca/cassava is a root and Yucca is a desert plant. It might be silly to point out but you wouldn’t want someone to get these two confused while cooking. I would really like to try these but I am concerned about the carbohydrate levels in them. Yuca is just about double the amount of carbs of a regular potato and sweet potato. Any ideas for a different source to lower the carbs?

Larissa
    Posted 01/23/15

• Hi Larissa – Thanks for stopping by. There is really no sub for the yuca in this recipe. Yuca is quite unique in that it makes a very pliable, sticky dough on its own that lends itself to these types of grain-free and gluten-free recipes. There is nothing out there that compares to it and its unique characteristics.

Posted 01/24/15

13. Hot mustard also needs to be omitted from the dip sauce to be AIP compliant.

Kim
    Posted 01/28/15

14. Did you ever determine if you could freeze the baked wrappers? I’m making these right now and would like to do that.

Kristi
    Posted 03/15/15

• Hi Kristi – I have not tried it, so I am not sure if it would work right or not. If you try it, let me know how it goes!

Posted 03/15/15

15. Unfortunately I am now allergic to avocados, so what would you suggest I sub for the avocado oil in this recipe? Otherwise it looks delicious!

Kathleen
    Posted 04/11/15

• Hi Kathleen! You could use any oil of your choice. I’d use coconut oil or palm shortening as those have the highest heat tolerance levels! Enjoy!

Posted 04/12/15

16. In Colorado I am surrounded by Yucca plants – are their roots the same as your described Yuca root?
    Thanks,

Jacque Stanley
    Posted 04/17/15

• Oops, never mind – just read the earlier post re Yuca vs Yucca

Jacque Stanley
      Posted 04/17/15

17. Tried making these tonight- HUGE fail! The filling was fine, it was the wrappers. I watched the YouTube video above, tried adding coconut flour, and even froze the dough (after letting it cool for more than an hour) for over 30 min. and the dough was still WAY too sticky to work with. =(

Jo
    Posted 04/26/15

18. You are right, who doesn’t love a egg roll. Every Chinese you need to have egg rolls, but when ordering them from a take out they can be too greasy and very salty. I like how they are oven cooked and not fried. I have never tried to make egg rolls before but there’s a first for everything. To be honest I think the wrappers will be tricky to make, can you give any pointers?

Adam Trainor
    Posted 06/13/15

• Hi Adam – The yuca can be a bit tricky to work with, but as long as you follow the instructions, you should be good to go. This is definitely a more time consuming recipe, which is a good thing otherwise we’d eat them all the time! 🙂 You might also want to check out the author’s site (this was a guest post): http://predominantlypaleo.com/. She has tons of yuca info on there! 🙂

Posted 06/16/15

• Thanks for the reply Jessica, I’m a bit slow getting back to you. Yeah I think its a good job they are time consuming or I would be making them every day for a snack or as part of my meal. I did give it ago and I know its definitely a recipe that needs patience!!! I shall take a look at the link you provided too.

Adam Trainor
        Posted 07/12/15

19. Can you use a different oil/shortening with the yucca to make the wrappers? Or does it need to be avocado oil?

Amber
    Posted 09/03/15

• Hi Amber – You could use any oil that has a high smoke point. Coconut oil or palm shortening would be good alternatives to the avocado oil. Use refined coconut oil if you don’t want any coconut taste.

Posted 09/03/15

20. HO-LY MOLY. These are DELICIOUS. The prep was definitely a lot of work, but oh my gosh, I am pretty sure these taste better than regular egg rolls. Thank you so much for this post! Also, I used shredded chicken in mine instead of ground pork. For the sauce I used coconut aminos and fresh minced garlic. MMM I will be making these 100 times more! I also love how filling they are.

Devandy
    Posted 10/12/15

• Hi Devandy! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop back by and share! We are so happy that you enjoyed the recipe. The recipe is pretty intensive but so worth it (it keeps us from eating them every day, right!?). 🙂

Posted 10/15/15

21. How many egg rolls does it make? I have to make them for a class project and want to make sure there will be enough for everyone there is around 28 students.

Mikayla
    Posted 04/30/16

• Hi Mikayla! It’s going to depend on how big you make the wrappers. You should be able to get 10-14 per batch. Hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 05/04/16