Jam-Filled Thumbprint Cookies :: gluten, dairy, nut, seed, egg free, autoimmune paleo

This post may contain affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product or service I wouldn’t use on my own family.

The Detox Project: Find Out Why Detoxification is Critical to Your Health.

Jam-Filled Thumbprint Cookies (gluten, dairy, nut, egg free, autoimmune paleo) // deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

You know those jam-filled thumbprint cookies they sell in vending machines? Delicate, buttery shortbread filled with sweet jam?

I used to LOVE those. If I saw a vending machine with them, I almost always would want to snag a bag.

They’re not very good for you, but who cared, right? They tasted good!

So, a few months ago, I got a hankering for those cookies and decided to set out on a mission to re-create them in a real food, autoimmune protocol friendly way.

After many flops and many tweaks, I finally perfected the recipe and let me just say … these cookies are UH-MAZING.

Even hubby concurs.

As a matter of fact, he recently asked me to make a batch for him because he all of a sudden had a hankering for them. While he likes most everything I make, he is not one for special requests. Except in the case of these cookies.

As delicious as these cookies are, what is even better about them is that they are crazy simple to make and they are paleo, primal, and autoimmune friendly.

Woot!

These cookies full of coconutty goodness! They are made with a combination of coconut cream concentrate (also called coconut butter), finely shredded coconut, coconut flour, and a splash of coconut milk.

PLEASE READ!!!! Quick note about “coconut cream concentrate” and “coconut butter”, since I get asked this all the time.

Whenever I refer to those two terms in my recipes, it means the product that is super finely ground coconut meat, which has a consistency similar to a nut butter. It’s not referring to coconut milk or coconut cream (the liquid beverage-type products), and it’s not referring to those vegan “butters” that often use coconut oil in them.

Please read this post where I talk about coconut products in detail and clear up the common confusion with ingredient names.

Also, the texture of the cookies may vary depending in the brand(s) of coconut products you use. I have found in my years of cooking that there can be a big difference between brands of coconut products and how they work in recipes. For this recipe, I found I got the best results when I used coconut cream concentrate from Tropical Traditions and coconut flour from my local health food store. If you find that your dough is too dry, just add a tablespoon or two of coconut milk (or milk of your choice) to the mix until you get the right consistency.

OK, moving on!

The cookie itself is delicate and rich in flavor — almost like a soft shortbread, even though it contains no butter. Then, the delicious cookie is topped with a generous spoonful of our favorite jam. The cookies in the photos used blackberry, strawberry, and blood orange jams. Strawberry was my fave, blood orange was hub’s fave.

Coupons for Jam-Filled Thumbprint Cookies Ingredients

Below are special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:

• Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
  • Vitacost: If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase.

Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Vitacost and Thrive Market have better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂

Jam-Filled Thumbprint Cookies (gluten, dairy, nut, egg free, autoimmune paleo)

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally use and recommend. All funds earned go to help support the maintenance of this site and free content. Thank you! 🙂
Author:
Recipe type: gluten free, grain free, dairy free, egg free, autoimmune friendly dessert
Serves: 12
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
  2. Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  3. If your house is cool, your coconut cream concentrate is probably hard as a rock. If so, just place the jar in a bowl of hot water for about 20 minutes and it should soften up. I sometimes will place the jar in a pan of water and heat it over very low heat for 15-30 minutes or until the coconut cream concentrate is liquefied. You want the cream to be smooth and creamy with no chunks, as this will help the cookie dough blend together easily.
  4. Combine all of the ingredients (except the jam) in a medium mixing bowl with a hand or stand mixer. Start with 2 tbsp. of coconut milk and add a tad more if your dough seems too dry. Your cookie dough should hold together, but be soft and pliable enough for you to easily form the little cookies.
  5. Take about a tablespoon of the cookie dough (more or less, depending on how big you want your cookies) and roll the dough into a ball. Then, carefully flatten a little into more of a cookie shape.
  6. Place the cookie on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
  7. Using your thumb or the back of a measuring spoon, make a little indention into the middle of the cookie.
  8. Repeat until all of your dough is used.
  9. Place a spoonful of jam in the middle of the cookies.
  10. Bake for 15-20 minutes. You want the cookies to be lightly browned around the edges.
  11. Remove from oven and let cool completely before serving. They taste DELICIOUS when they're warm, but they are a bit crumbly if they have not cooled completely. I recommend using a fork if you want to eat them warm. 😉 But, be careful, as the jam gets SUPER HOT!
  12. NOTE #1
  13. Whenever I refer to coconut butter or coconut cream concentrate in my recipes, it means the product that is super finely ground coconut meat, which has a consistency similar to a nut butter. It's not referring to coconut milk or coconut cream (the liquid beverage-type products), and it's not referring to those vegan "butters" that often use coconut oil in them. You cannot substitute dairy butter for coconut butter, nor can you substitute coconut oil for coconut butter.
  14. NOTE #2
  15. The texture of the cookies may vary depending in the brand(s) of coconut products you use. I have found in my years of cooking that there can be a big difference between brands of coconut products and how they work in recipes. For this recipe, I found I got the best results when I used coconut cream concentrate from Tropical Traditions and coconut flour from my local health food store (Natural Grocers). If you find that your dough is too dry, just add a tablespoon or two of coconut milk (or milk of your choice) to the mix until you get the right consistency.

Jessica is a real food wellness educator and the founder of the Delicious Obsessions website. She has had a life-long passion for food and being in the kitchen is where she is the happiest. She began helping her mother cook and bake around the age of three and she's been in the kitchen ever since, including working in a restaurant in her hometown for almost a decade, where she worked every position before finally becoming the lead chef. Jessica started Delicious Obsessions in 2010 as a way to help share her love for food and cooking. Since then, it has grown into a trusted online resource with a vibrant community of people learning to live healthy, happy lives through real food and natural living.

1. Can you make coconut butter and can butter be substituted for the coconut butter in these cookies?

Dee
    Posted 05/15/14

• Hi Dee – Yes, you can make your own coconut butter at home by taking dried coconut and pureeing until smooth. It’s easy to do if you have a high powered blender like a Vitamix. It does not work so well in a food processor or a cheap blender (trust me, I’ve tried). No, you cannot substitute butter for the coconut butter in these cookies, as they are two different products. Coconut butter is dried coconut meat that is ground very finely, much like a nut butter. The coconut butter is what makes the actually dough of the cookies. Dairy butter would not work.

Posted 05/15/14

2. Oh my, these are beautiful! I can’t wait to try them! 🙂

Raia Torn
    Posted 05/15/14

3. Oh MY GOODNESS! These look AWESOME. I am making these. Tomorrow. I have lots of jams from last year that I need to use before the new season of fruit hits! And… I happen to have all the ingredients in my cupboard!

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!!! <3

-Jacquelyn

LittleOwlCrunchyMomma
    Posted 05/15/14

4. Wow these look delicious!

linda spiker
    Posted 05/15/14

5. Found a jar of coconut butter in my cabinet and tried these. They are good but I did find these (and have noticed with other coconut flour/butter items) that they are “dry” and I need a mouth full of coffee after to wash them down. Poor hubby didn’t wait for his cookie to cool and blistered his mouth…………..

Dee
    Posted 05/16/14

• Hi Dee – I have found in all of my years of cooking that there is a big difference between coconut products from different brands. I made a note in the recipe of what brands I used for the recipe. In the case of these cookies being to dry, you would need to add a little extra coconut milk (or milk of your choice). I tested this recipe at least 15 times and found that if the dough was too dry, adding another couple tablespoons of liquid solved the problem. Now when I make them, the cookies are moist and not dry at all. So sorry to hear about the burn. That jam gets HOT, HOT, HOT, so best to let cool before eating! Cheers!

Posted 05/18/14

6. Hi! These look yum! Is there anything I can sub for maple syrup? I’m doing AIP but haven’t added in any sweeteners yet. Thanks!

Amy
    Posted 05/22/14

• Hi Amy – You could try using stevia, but you would need to replace the maple syrup with some extra liquid. I’ve never made it without the syrup, but I think it would work OK. Keep in mind that the jam is going to be relatively high sugar too, so you may want to hold off on these until you have successfully re-introduced sweeteners. Best of luck!

Posted 05/23/14

7. These sound so… good. I remember seeing the likes of them in our Italian bakeries full of sugars. SO I WELCOME THE THOUGHT OF TRYING WITH COCONUT.

DianaGrace
    Posted 05/22/14

8. Hi Jesse I do not eat shredded coconut ever cause I do not like the texture but I do not mind eating anything with coconut flavor. If I make these cookies without the shredded coconut would it change the texture of the cookie in any way, or do I need to sub the shredded coconut for something else to keep the right texture. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to answer my question. Yvonne

yvonne
    Posted 05/26/14

• Hi Yvonne – I think you could leave out the shredded coconut and just add a tiny bit more coconut flour into the dough. I have not made it without the shreds, but I think it would work just fine! Enjoy!

Posted 05/26/14

9. Can’t wait to try these Jessica! Thanks for sharing them, I am featuring your recipe this week on Allergy Free Wednesday!

Tessa@TessaDomesticDiva
    Posted 06/01/14

10. When you say ‘serves 12’ does that mean it makes 12 cookies?

Krista
    Posted 06/02/14

• Hi Krista – Yes, but it really depends on how big you make each cookie. Each one I make is about 2 inches in diameter, but you could make them larger or smaller. Enjoy!

Posted 06/03/14

11. I made these tonight and they were amazing. This recipe is getting saved as a favorite. Absolutely delicious AND AIP, these cookies make me happy!

Susan
    Posted 07/08/14

• Awesome! Thank you for stopping by and sharing! This is by far my favorite cookie and I’m so glad you enjoyed! 🙂

Posted 07/13/14

12. Is there anything that I can replace the coconut flour and coconut milk for?? I hate to say this but I am not a huge fan of anything that has coconut flour (I have made many things but can still taste the coconut).

Amy
    Posted 09/23/14

• Hi Amy – Not for this recipe. The whole base of this cookie is coconut (coconut butter, coconut flour, and coconut milk). Those three items make up pretty much the entire cookie, so there are no subs for this specific recipe. Sorry!

Posted 09/24/14

13. Thank you so much for this recipe! I made them last night, and they are super yummy. The texture is so smooth and creamy. I took a few to a church luncheon, and they all disappeared. They didn’t take quite 15 minutes to brown. Luckily, they started to smell done, so I took them out before they got too browned (they browned more on the bottom). I’ll definitely make these again.

Clear_Eyes
    Posted 11/09/14

14. Just made these using toasted coconut butter and they are delish! I’ll add more liquid next time, as they were still a bit crumbly to form. The taste and texture after baking is lovely though! Thanks for putting so much effort into making a great recipe. I’ve been wanting jam cooking for a while now, and these really hit the spot!

Allison
    Posted 01/05/15

15. These look great, can’t wait to try them. However, all through my paleo journey (2-ish years now) I’ve only seen “coconut cream” refer to the thick part that separates on the top of a can of coconut milk. Coconut butter is the ground coconut meat that’s like peanut butter made from coconuts. Maybe that’s why people are confused when you use “coconut cream concentrate” to refer to coconut butter?

Kirsten
    Posted 01/23/15

• Hi Kristen – Thanks for stopping by! There is A LOT of confusion when it comes to coconut products as people use terms interchangeably for totally different products. Let me see if I can clarify some of this:

1. Coconut Cream Concentrate is another common term for Coconut Butter. Coconut Manna is also another commonly used term for Coconut Butter. This is the finely ground coconut meat, similar to a nut butter.

2. Coconut Cream and Coconut Milk are also used interchangeably by a lot of people. Typically Coconut Cream refers to the thick cream that you get when you refrigerate a can of Coconut Milk. But, to add to the confusion, there is also a Coconut Cream on the market (I forget the brand off the top of my head) that is actually coconut butter. So, yeah, no wonder people get confused — there is no consistency across brands as to naming their products! 🙂

This is such a common issue that I even I wrote in detail about all the confusion about coconut products in this post: http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2014/05/cutting-coconutty-confusion/. Hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 01/23/15

16. These are fantastic! Best AIP dessert recipe so far! Thanks for your efforts in getting it perfect. Followed your recipe exactly, appreciated the notes and the links to buy the same ingredients that you use. I think that was very important. I’m so grateful for this recipe, especially at Christmas as they look very festive.

Brenda
    Posted 12/19/15

• Awesome! I am SO glad you liked them Brenda! They are by far one of my favorite treats! 🙂

Posted 12/20/15