10 Health Benefits of Gelatin, plus 80 Ways to Eat More of It

This post may contain affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product or service I wouldn’t use on my own family.

10 Health Benefits of Gelatin, plus 80 Ways to Eat More of It // deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

Do you consume gelatin regularly? I do and there are many reasons why. Gelatin is one of those over-looked super foods that we all should be eating more of.

If there is one food that all real foodies can agree on, it’s going to be gelatin. I first learned about the health benefits of gelatin in the book Nourishing Traditions. Even though I had grown up eating a real food diet, I never really knew why gelatin was so good for us until I read this book.

Gelatin has a number of health benefits:

• Supports and promotes healthy skin, hair, and nails growth.
  • An easily assimilable source of collagen, which helps support skin elasticity.
  • Supports bones and joint mobility and helping improve joint recovery when injured.
  • Helps improve aid in digestion.
  • Helps heal the gut lining for those suffering from leaky gut.
  • Great source of a wide range of amino acids (18 in total).
  • Helps fight inflammation, due to the amino acid glycine.
  • Great source of easily digested protein (great for exercise recovery).
  • Can help promote better sleep, due to the amino acid glycine.
  • Can help calm and soothe nerves and anxiety, due to the amino acid glycine.
  • Can help stop bleeding from wounds both internally and externally.

When it comes to gelatin, quality is of the utmost importance. The very best way to consume more gelatin is to simply drink homemade bone broth or eat soups and sauces made from this bone broth.

Canned and boxed broths are going to have very little gelatin in them and are quite often filled with other unsavory ingredients. I recommend staying away from store-bought broth unless absolutely necessary.

Important Note On Gelatin Types

When it comes to gelatin, you don’t want any old gelatin off the supermarket shelves. You want to look for 100% grass-fed gelatin from healthy animals. Just like other animal products, quality is important.

That is why I recommend Vital Proteins Grass-Fed Gelatin products and Perfect Supplements products exclusively. I have compared these brand with other brands on the market and the quality far surpasses anything else I’ve tried. I am thrilled to be one of their affiliate partners and support such great products and companies.

Perfect Supplements offers a grass-fed hydrolyzed collagen (cold-soluble) right now and has a gelatin (hot-soluble) in the works for 2016. Read my review of their product here or watch the video below. You can order their own products via their own site here or on Amazon here.

Vital Proteins offers two types of gelatin. It is important to know that these ARE NOT interchangeable when it comes to recipes! The green top (Collagen Protein) is what you need for this recipe and for recipes where you are making gummies, “jello”, etc. The blue top (Collagen Peptides) is cold water soluble and does not thicken or gel like gelatin does. Both are very nutritious, but can’t be used interchangeably.  You can order their own products via their own site here or on Amazon hereWatch this video:

Want to know more about why gelatin is the bomb beezy? Check out these awesome articles from a few of my friends:

And, for even more info on gelatin, I LOVE this book from my friend and affiliate partner, Sylvie of The Hollywood Homestead — The Gelatin Secret: The Surprising Superfood that Transforms Your Health and Beauty. She dives into all of the benefits of gelatin, how it improves our health (especially bone, joint, brain, skin, dental, and gut health), plus she offers some tasty recipes too!

Gelatin-Secret-ebook

All in all, gelatin is just downright good for us to eat, so let’s eat more of it!

Easy Ways to Add more Gelatin to Your Diet

Like I mentioned above, the best source of gelatin is going to be in your homemade bone broths. But, it’s always handy to keep a jar of gelatin powder on hand for times when you may not have homemade broth to eat (despite my best efforts, I do run out from time to time), or when you just want to add a little boost of nutrition to your food.

Right off the top of my head, here are some super simple ways to add more gelatin to your diet. Scan through these and then check out all the recipe ideas below!

• Add gelatin to your smoothies for a protein boost.
  • Add gelatin to your coffee or tea.
  • Use gelatin to make tasty snacks and desserts.
  • Sprinkle some gelatin over your soups and stews.
  • Add gelatin to your sauces and gravies.

80 Delicious Ways to Eat More Gelatin

10 Health Benefits of Gelatin, plus 80 Ways to Eat More of It // deliciousobsessions.com #realfood #gelatin Follow Me on Pinterest

Consuming gelatin through your food is the best way to incorporate more into your diet. I eat soup every single day for lunch. I make that soup with my homemade bone broth and my body craves it. Since I am working on healing my leaky gut, I am trying to get gelatin into my diet in more ways that just soup and now, I am armed with all these delicious recipes to try!

Beverages & Smoothies

Desserts & Snacks

Everything Else

Tell me, what is your favorite way to eat gelatin? Have you experienced improved health since incorporating gelatin into your diet? Leave a comment below and don’t forget to check out Sylvie’s book, The Gelatin Secret (affiliate link)!

References

Want Even More Gelatin Goodness?

Health Benefits and Gelatin Info

Gelatin Recipes (Gluten-Free)

Jessica is a real food wellness educator and the founder of the Delicious Obsessions website. She has had a life-long passion for food and being in the kitchen is where she is the happiest. She began helping her mother cook and bake around the age of three and she's been in the kitchen ever since, including working in a restaurant in her hometown for almost a decade, where she worked every position before finally becoming the lead chef. Jessica started Delicious Obsessions in 2010 as a way to help share her love for food and cooking. Since then, it has grown into a trusted online resource with a vibrant community of people learning to live healthy, happy lives through real food and natural living.

1. Where would I get a good gelatin powder? Do you know of any good suppliers?

Sarah
    Posted 04/15/14

2. Would it be ok just to get my daily gelatin from the powdered kind? How much should I take?

Betty
    Posted 04/15/14

• Hi Betty – Many people take gelatin supplement. I don’t have a can in front of me, but I think 1 tbsp. is a serving. If you can drink homemade broths and stocks, that is going to be the ideal way to get gelatin into your diet, but the powdered gelatin is great too. Just make sure it comes from healthy animals.

Posted 04/17/14

3. Is this Gelatin powder available in Canada as Well?

JoanneHamelin
    Posted 04/16/14

• Hi Joanne – I would imagine so. You can check online or at your local health food store.

Posted 04/17/14

4. What a blessing to learn about gelatin and bone broth. I make it regularly now, and at our house we eat a lot of bone-broth-based soups. I’ve lectured the fam on how good it is for them, so whenever there is soup somebody will ask proudly “Is this made of bone broth?” What a great post!

Amy
    Posted 04/16/14

• That’s great Amy! My day is not complete without a bowl of soup made with homemade stock! It is SO good! 🙂

Posted 04/17/14

5. Great compilation! Here’s my take on some gelatin recipes:

melanie
    Posted 04/16/14

6. Oh my goodness!! So many recipes to try, so little time… Thanks for sharing another great list.

Mindy Benkert
    Posted 04/20/14

7. Any suggestions on how to avoid the taste/smell of gelatin? I know it is supposedly tasteless, but I can taste it. I tried to sneak it in my coffee, and I had to throw it out. I’ve made real fruit gummies for my son, and I couldn’t eat them–and the smell when making them nearly killed me. I AM using Great Lakes grass-fed gelatin.

Nicci
    Posted 05/03/14

• Hi Nicci – I am not sure. I don’t notice the smell when it is combined with other flavors (like in my coffee, tea, or gummy snacks). My nose must not be as sensitive as yours. Maybe try using just a tiny bit at a time and see if you can work your way up? 🙁

Posted 05/04/14

8. I’ve been putting one tablespoon of the green can Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate in my morning smoothie for about a year thinking I was doing the right thing. Should I switch to the red can like you are using, or do they each have the same benefits? Thanks, and congratulations on your future bundle of joy. I have a new one week old grandson. 🙂

Patty White
    Posted 05/04/14

• Hi Patty – They are essentially the same product, except the red label is not cold soluble like the green label is. I use both in my home and have used the red label in smoothies. It can sometimes get a tad lumpy, but if you blend it enough, it’s fine (at least for me!).

Posted 05/04/14

9. Is homemade bone broth what you call say homemade chicken soup, adding in the meat with the bone? Does leaky gut refer to someone with Crohn’s Disease? If so, I am totally putting gelatin into daily consumption. I will have to see if my library carries the book. Thanks!

Kathleen Mccarthy
    Posted 06/25/14

• Hi Kathleen – Bone broth refers to any broth or stock that has been made with bones (be it chicken, beef, lamb, bison, fish, etc.). It is mineral-rich and full of gelatin and collagen to help heal our guts and bodies. You can then use that broth to make your homemade soups, sauces, and gravies. I recommend staying away from store-bought broths, as they are going to be relatively void of nutrients and you never know the health of the animals used to make the broth.

The library won’t have that book, as it is a digital eBook (downloaded to your computer as a PDF). It is an excellent book and one I highly recommend: http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/Gelatin-Secret.

Leaky gut is not the same as Crohn’s. It is a general term for anyone who has impaired digestive issues where the lining of their gastrointestinal tract is not healthy and has become permeable, allowing food particles and other toxins to enter to blood stream. Leaky gut definitely plays a major role in the development of Crohn’s disease, as well as Celiac disease, all autoimmune diseases, and many more. Hope that helps!

Posted 06/27/14

10. Hi I was stunned by this information from you about the health benefits of gelatine but I have one problem. I am a vegetarian. Any idea’s.

Thank you.

Marjorie
    Posted 01/06/15

• Hi Marjorie – Thanks for stopping by! The health benefits of gelatin are because it is an animal product — you won’t be able to find the same line-up of nutrients in any other food. I know that vegans often use agar-agar (I think that’s it) for recipes that call for gelatin. But, it won’t have the same health benefits. Hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 01/08/15

11. Thank you for an awesome amount of information. Have just shared with my readers. Thanks!

Celeste
    Posted 05/25/15

12. I was of the belief that agar agar (a type of seaweed) was a vegetarian alternative to gelatin. And I’ve heard that it is healthier for you than gelatin

Jack Waterman
    Posted 09/15/15

• Jack – Agar agar is what vegans / vegetarians will use as a gelatin replacement, but it is no where near as nutritious as actual gelatin. As a matter of fact you won’t get any of the benefits of true gelatin from agar agar since the benefits of gelatin come from the fact that it is from grass-fed and pastured animals. Hope that helps!

Posted 09/16/15

13. I need some help, what is more important gelatin or collagen? I’m confused! I just bought Collagen should I have bought gelatin instead HELP!! Thanks so much!

Cathy Eisgruber
    Posted 12/08/15

• Cathy – They are essentially the same thing and provide the same nutritional benefits. Collagen is just cooked gelatin and is a slightly smaller protein size. Because of this some people find it easier to digest, but I honestly can’t tell the difference at all. One thing to keep in mind is that for things like gummies, jello, puddings, etc. you will need to use gelatin because that is what will gel and set up firm. Collagen does not gel. Hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 12/13/15