3 DIY Homemade Coconut Oil Body Butter Recipes

The Second Opinion Thyroid Summit

3 DIY Homemade Coconut Oil Body Butter Recipes // deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

Homemade coconut oil body butters are so easy to make. Several years ago, I started working on eliminating chemical from my home and my beauty products were one of the first things I looked at. Once I started paying attention, I was appalled at the nasty ingredients in commercial products. Even in the organic brands, there are often ingredients that I would prefer to avoid. So, I began experimenting at home making everything from deodorant to sunscreen to body wash to hair treatments. You can check out all of my homemade skin care recipes here.

For the longest time, the only butter that I used as a base was shea butter. It was inexpensive and easy to find at my health food store. As I continued to experiment, I branched off into other types of butters. The follow recipes use three of my favorites: cocoa, mango, and kokum.

Cocoa Butter is a common ingredient in many homemade skin care products (and commercial products too). This butter is super aromatic (smells like chocolate) and is pressed from the roasted seeds of the Cacao tree (Theobroma cacao). The processing of the butter yield a gorgeous warm cream color and rich, decadent scent. It is often added to creams, lotions, and soaps, and adds a great scent, plus makes the skin feel great.

Mango Butter comes from the seed kernel of the Mango tree and is regularly used as a high-quality base for body care products and soaps. According to Mountain Rose Herbs, “mango butter has beneficial moisturizing properties for lotions and acts as a mild lubricant for the skin, and is very similar in color and texture as cocoa butter making it an exotic and fun alternative for toiletry products. Great source of essential fatty acids.”

Kokum Butter is a butter that is not as common as cocoa and mango. It is comes from the Garcinia tree and is naturally white and incredibly smooth. Like cocoa and shea butters, kokum butter is beneficial for the skin and is a great additive to homemade skin care products.

Today, I am sharing three different body butter recipes with you. These body butters are rich and moisturizing. Living in Colorado, I have dry skin year round. No matter how good my diet is and how many healthy fats I eat, my skin always needs a little extra love. These creams use skin nourishing ingredients and can be whipped up pretty quick. They also make excellent gifts for loved ones, so double or triple the batch and share some of the love with others.

Where to Purchase Supplies

I get a lot of questions as to where I purchase my ingredients for my homemade skin care products. Most of the ingredients for my recipes are easily found at your local health food stores. Some things can only be found online. For this recipe, I got my supplies from my various affiliate partners:

Mountain Rose Herbs: The organic butters, organic essential oils, and organic dried herbs.

Tropical Traditions: The coconut oil (I used virgin, but you could use their expeller-pressed if you prefer).

Vitacost: Essential oils. I have shopped around and I find that the best price on Aura Cacia essential oils (one of my favorite affordable brands) are through Vitacost. With their Vitacost Rewards program, of which I am a part of, you can receive a $10 off coupon for your first purchase of $30 or more. Once your order ships, I receive a coupon for referring you! The nice thing is that you can then refer family and friends and earn coupons for yourself. Sign up through this link.

Amazon.com: Red raspberry seed oil. This oil is known for it’s skin nourishing properties and makes a great addition to homemade skin care products. It can be a little hard to find, but this is where I purchased mine.

Do you make your own skin care products? What is your favorite thing to make? Leave a comment below and let’s discuss!

This post is part of Allergy Free Wednesdays

Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin

You May Also Like These Related Posts:

1. Oh wow those look incredible! I think I might just make a foray into making some of these soon.

Soli
    Posted 12/05/13

• Thanks Soli! They make great gifts too! Enjoy! :)

Posted 12/05/13

2. These look awesome! I want some! :-)

• Thanks Starlene! They are fantastic! :)

Posted 12/05/13

3. I am wondering if I have to warn people not to expose their skin to the sun after putting on the body butter that has the citrus essential oils? Some sites tell you that the citrus causes photosensitive skin . So I am always afraid to use citrus EO. But citrus smells so divine . Do you know if this is a problem?
    Thanks for your recipes
    Trish

Patricia Swayze
    Posted 01/26/14

• Hi Trish – You are correct that some citrus essential oils are phototoxic (but not all). I was certain I included that in this post, but perhaps I forgot. I personally have not had any issues using these butters and going outdoors, but we are all different, so it is best to use caution until you know how your skin reacts. I’ll make sure I put a note in the recipe regarding that. Thanks for alerting me that I had left that out.

Posted 01/26/14

4. These look amazing! Do you have any suggestions for the best prices on essential oils? I’ve found them to be quite expensive and didn’t know if there were better sources than my local health food store.

Karissa
    Posted 01/28/14

• Wow – totally missed the vitacost part – sorry!

Karissa
      Posted 01/28/14

• No worries! I think their prices are pretty good. They seem to always run a few bucks cheaper than my health food store. :)

Posted 01/28/14

5. just a query on the raspberry seed oil… if I can’t get it what would be a good replacement?

sarah
    Posted 01/29/14

• Hi Sarah – There really isn’t a good replacement for it, but you could leave it out of the recipe and it would be just fine. You’d never even know it was missing. :)

Posted 01/30/14

6. Thanks! I want to try these. I made a body butter with shea butter and coconut oil and it’s a little but too oily on the skin, although it does soak in. Which of these is least oily and do you use it on your face?

Anne LaBelle
    Posted 03/08/14

• Hi Anne – Yes, I use these all over. Try the one with kokum butter (the citrus vanilla one). I can’t really tell you which is least oily, as they all seem the same to me, but the kokum butter is especially good for the skin. Let me know you thoughts if you make them. You could also halve or quarter the recipe to start out and see how you like it. :)

Posted 03/09/14

• OK, thanks! I’m gonna order some Kokum butter. That’s a new one on me!

Anne LaBelle
        Posted 03/10/14

7. I am looking for a recipe for a contouring cream. Anybody have one they want to share.

Joyce
    Posted 04/18/14

• Hi Joyce – I have not come across a recipe for that, but I will definitely add it to the list if I ever do! :)

Posted 04/18/14