Apple Pie Bites (gluten, grain, dairy, and sugar free)

This post may contain affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product or service I wouldn’t use on my own family.

The Detox Project: Find Out Why Detoxification is Critical to Your Health.

Apple Pie Bites (gluten, grain, dairy, and sugar free) | deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

Apple pie.

There is nothing better on a cool fall day than a piece of warm apple pie and ice cream. Well, in my book there’s nothing better. I’m sure some would disagree. 😉

Seeing that I am gluten and grain free, as well as watching my sugar intake, I rarely indulge in treats like that. I also have yet to find an allergen friendly apple pie recipe that really “hits the spot”.

So, in an effort to create the apple pie flavor, in a small, portion controlled, low sugar version, I came up with these apple pie bites. The recipe was inspired by a recipe that I saw on PaleOMG earlier this year.

They make the perfect little treat for when I want something sweet, but want to avoid excess sugar. Most of the time, I make these unsweetened, even omitting the stevia, as I find the coconut butter has enough natural sweetness when paired with the apples. But, if I’m making them for family or friends, I’ll add some honey or stevia in there to jazz it up a tad.

Coupons for Coconut Cream Truffles Recipe Ingredients

Below are special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:

• Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
  • Vitacost: If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase.

Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Vitacost and Thrive Market have better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂

PLEASE READ!!!! Quick note about “coconut cream concentrate” and “coconut butter”, since I get asked this all the time.

Whenever I refer to those two terms in my recipes, it means the product that is super finely ground coconut meat, which has a consistency similar to a nut butter. It’s not referring to coconut milk or coconut cream (the liquid beverage-type products), and it’s not referring to those vegan “butters” that often use coconut oil in them.

You cannot substitute dairy butter for coconut butter, nor can you substitute coconut oil for coconut butter.

Please read this post where I talk about coconut products in detail and clear up the common confusion with ingredient names.

Also, the texture of the cookies may vary depending in the brand(s) of coconut products you use. I have found in my years of cooking that there can be a big difference between brands of coconut products and how they work in recipes. For this recipe, I found I got the best results when I used coconut cream concentrate from Tropical Traditions and coconut flour from my local health food store. If you find that your dough is too dry, just add a tablespoon or two of coconut milk (or milk of your choice) to the mix until you get the right consistency.

Jessica is a real food wellness educator and the founder of the Delicious Obsessions website. She has had a life-long passion for food and being in the kitchen is where she is the happiest. She began helping her mother cook and bake around the age of three and she's been in the kitchen ever since, including working in a restaurant in her hometown for almost a decade, where she worked every position before finally becoming the lead chef. Jessica started Delicious Obsessions in 2010 as a way to help share her love for food and cooking. Since then, it has grown into a trusted online resource with a vibrant community of people learning to live healthy, happy lives through real food and natural living.

1. Wow, these look great! I love coming across recipes that I don’t need to alter to enjoy (going to use the stevia option!). Thanks for sharing!

• Hi Candace – Thanks! I hope you enjoy! I just made another batch of these today and they are SOOOOO good! 🙂

Posted 11/03/13

2. This looks great – but where do I find coconut butter?

robbie @ going green mama
    Posted 11/18/13

• Hi Robbie – I link to the brand I use in the recipe. You should also be able to find it at your local health food store.

Posted 11/18/13

3. What temperature and how long do you cook these for????
    I did not see it in the instructions.

Donna
    Posted 12/18/13

• Hi Donna – These are a no-bake dessert. Just follow the instructions in the recipe and you’re good to go! Enjoy! 🙂

Posted 12/18/13

4. How many bites does this make if don’t include the nuts? Thanks! Sounds yummy!

Meloni Hinson
    Posted 12/21/13

• It depends on the molds that you use to make them, or if you just spread the mixture out in a pan instead of making individual bites. Leaving out the nuts won’t affect the yield very much. Hope that helps!

Posted 12/22/13

• What size pan would you suggest? I am trying to make 45 children’s servings for my sons school!!

Kendra Lovitt
        Posted 09/11/16

• Hi Kendra! I think I used an 8×8 pan for this recipe (it’s been a long time so I can’t remember for sure). That made really thin pieces, so a smaller pan would make thicker pieces. You’ll probably have to triple the recipe for the number of servings you need. I hope they like them! 🙂

Posted 09/11/16

5. This sounds amazing! I don’t have a regular use for coconut butter as of yet, so could i replace it with almond butter or coconut oil?

Basmah
    Posted 03/10/14

• Basmah – You could try using almond butter for it, though I have never tried that. Coconut oil will not work as a substitute, as the coconut butter is similar to a nut butter. Enjoy!

Posted 03/10/14

6. For this to be AIP-friendly, I’d need to omit the walnuts and the allspice, nutmeg, and cardamom from the apple pie spice, right?

Allison
    Posted 03/16/14

• Hi Allison – Yes, you are correct. This one actually got mis-categorized and technically should not have been in the AIP list. Sorry about that!

Posted 03/17/14

7. Could you use a can of coconut cream?

Sarah Gamble
    Posted 05/20/14

• Hi Sarah – Are you asking if you can use coconut cream/milk in place of the coconut butter? If so, no. You need to use coconut butter or coconut cream concentrate, which is coconut meat that has been ground finely into a smooth consistency (like a nut butter). There is no substitution for that in this recipe. Hope that helps!

Posted 05/20/14

8. Hi Jessica,

I really really want to make these, they look delicious! However I can’t find coconut butter anywhere! Is there anything else I could use instead? You mentioned it was similar to nut butters, could I use peanut butter?

Susan
    Posted 10/13/14

• Hi Susan – If you can’t find coconut butter locally (most health food stores carry it), you can order it online — I link to my favorite one above. There really is not a substitute for it in this recipe. You could use another type of nut butter, but the texture and end result is going to be way different. I’m sure it would still be delicious though, but definitely not the same as using the coconut butter. Hope that helps! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

Posted 10/13/14

9. Hi, this recipe looks great! I can’t wait to try it out! I was wondering if I could use it on a blog post I am writing about healthy peanut-free snacks. I would only be using a photo and will link back to this post for the recipe.
    Thanks!

Brittany
    Posted 02/27/15

10. Just found this today and made it right away – OH MY GOODNESS, DELICIOUSNESS!! Thanks for an awesome recipe!
    I’ve never done it, but for the people who can’t find creamed coconut, I believe you can take coconut flakes and put them in your food processor until they turn into a cream. Similar to making your own nut butters. Just a thought.

Cindy
    Posted 05/02/15

• Hi Cindy – So glad you enjoyed it! This is one of my favorite recipes! Yes, you can make your own coconut butter at home. It depends on the machine you use as to how smooth it gets. But, even if it’s a little chunky, that’s OK. It will still taste delicious! 🙂

Posted 05/03/15

• I’m also wondering if you could take coconut flour and add something (water? oil?) to make it work in place of the coconut butter/cream?
        These have become a staple in my house! 🙂

Cindy
        Posted 05/12/15

• Hi Cindy – I am not sure how good that would taste, but you could certainly give it a try! Coconut flour is just the fiber of the coconut after all the oil has been extracted. Coconut cream/butter is the whole coconut meat ground up into a nut butter of sorts. It’s about 70% coconut oil. Hope that helps!

Posted 05/13/15

11. These are SO good!I made them for a snack for a road trip to Maine, and they were perfect.
    Thank you for this recipe!

Elanore
    Posted 08/21/15

12. Stumbled upon your recipes. Very impressed! All my favorite ingredients, healthy and satisfying.

Sandria