Lemon Lime Coconut Candy Recipe (gluten, grain, dairy, and sugar free, autoimmune friendly)

This post may contain affiliate links. It does not cost you anything and helps maintain the free information on this site, as well as answer the questions of “what brand do you use?” Please know I never personally recommend any product or service I wouldn’t use on my own family.

Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis is one of the most common yet uncommonly diagnosed diseases in the world! This event will raise awareness of the autoimmune disease, help with early detection and connect you to proper testing for diagnosis. The Healing Hashimoto’s Summit is online and free from June 13-20, 2016!

Lemon Lime Coconut Candy Recipe | deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

Bright, tangy, coconutty, and slightly sweet. A perfect combination of a satisfying treat without the guilt! I have made these candies for years. The original recipe came from Free Coconut Recipes and then over the years, it has evolved depending on my moods and the season. They are my go-to whenever I want something sweet, but don’t want to make a big batch of something I will later regret eating. They are easily portion controlled and the richness of the coconut cream and coconut oil is very satiating to the taste buds.

As with any of my recipes, feel free to tailor this recipe to suit your own personal tastes. You can vary the type of citrus you use — orange, tangerine, and even grapefruit are all nice. The citrus and coconut pairs nicely together.

The coconut cream that I get is from my affiliate partner, Tropical Traditions, and it already contains a lot of oil, but you all know how much I love coconut oil, so I just couldn’t help adding a tad more.

These hold up pretty well outside the fridge. They taste delicious both cold and room temperature. I prefer them at room temperature because the citrus pops even more and they have a delicious fudge-like texture. Oh, and did I mention they are easy to make? They only take a few minutes, so they’re great to keep in mind for those times when you need a really fast dessert.

Coupons for Lemon Lime Coconut Candy Recipe Ingredients

Below are special coupon offers that select affiliate partners are currently offering:

• Thrive Market: If you sign up through this link, you will get 15% OFF your first order.
  • Vitacost: If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase.

Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Vitacost and Thrive Market have better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂

PLEASE READ!!!! Quick note about “coconut cream concentrate” and “coconut butter”, since I get asked this all the time.

Whenever I refer to those two terms in my recipes, it means the product that is super finely ground coconut meat, which has a consistency similar to a nut butter. It’s not referring to coconut milk or coconut cream (the liquid beverage-type products), and it’s not referring to those vegan “butters” that often use coconut oil in them.

You cannot substitute dairy butter for coconut butter, nor can you substitute coconut oil for coconut butter.

Please read this post where I talk about coconut products in detail and clear up the common confusion with ingredient names.

Also, the texture of the cookies may vary depending in the brand(s) of coconut products you use. I have found in my years of cooking that there can be a big difference between brands of coconut products and how they work in recipes. For this recipe, I found I got the best results when I used coconut cream concentrate from Tropical Traditions and coconut flour from my local health food store. If you find that your dough is too dry, just add a tablespoon or two of coconut milk (or milk of your choice) to the mix until you get the right consistency.

Jessica is a real food wellness educator and the founder of the Delicious Obsessions website. She has had a life-long passion for food and being in the kitchen is where she is the happiest. She began helping her mother cook and bake around the age of three and she's been in the kitchen ever since, including working in a restaurant in her hometown for almost a decade, where she worked every position before finally becoming the lead chef. Jessica started Delicious Obsessions in 2010 as a way to help share her love for food and cooking. Since then, it has grown into a trusted online resource with a vibrant community of people learning to live healthy, happy lives through real food and natural living.

1. YUM!!! I just made something similar to this the other day. I am going to try this as soon as I can. Looks great, as always!!!

Adrienne @ Whole New Mom
    Posted 07/08/13

• Thanks for stopping by Adrienne! Enjoy! 🙂

Posted 07/09/13

2. How important is the lemon and lime extracts in this with the zest and the juice in there? Also… thought chopped up dried cranberries mixed in with the citrus would be AMAZING, I made lemon cookies with cranberries and they just worked perfectly!

Jacquelyn
    Posted 07/08/13

• Hi Jacquelyn – The recipe would taste fine with out the extracts, I just find that it adds a little extra punch. Cranberries would be amazing! I had never thought of that — great idea!! 🙂

Posted 07/09/13

3. My mouth is watering! I can’t wait to try these – thanks for sharing!

• Hope you enjoy! 🙂

Posted 07/11/13

4. I am obsessed with coconut everything and this looks amazing! One question though -I’ve never seen coconut butter, is that the same as thick coconut cream?

crys k
    Posted 07/10/13

• Hi Crys – No, coconut butter is actually ground up coconut meat in concentrated form. The texture is going to be very much like other nut butters. It’s super high in fiber (since it’s pure coconut meat), so it is great for making candies, breads, etc. You should be able to find it at your local health food store, or I also link to the coconut butter that I personally use in the recipe. Hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 07/11/13

5. In case you weren’t aware of the malfunctioning links to the coconut and sea salt products in the recipe, this is the resulting message I received today when clicking on those links:

“The service is unavailable.
    Service Temporary Unavailable!

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.” Jakarta/ISAPI/isapi_redirector/1.2.32 ()

Connie
    Posted 07/13/13

• Hi Connie – Thanks for letting me know. I’m wondering if maybe it was a temporary glitch. I just tested all of the links in this post and everything is working fine. Let me know if you experience any other problems! Thanks! 🙂

Posted 07/13/13

6. I just made these, and made a few changes because I didn’t have some of the ingredients….still turned out soooooooooo good! Thanks for the recipe and inspiration!

Jen
    Posted 12/17/13

7. Is there a substitute for the coconut butter? I can use coconut oil, but not the butter. Also, everywhere else I look, coconut cream concentrate and coconut butter are indicated as the same thing, but you said it isn’t.

Thanks!

Ret
    Posted 01/15/14

• Ret – There is no sub for coconut butter in this recipe, as it is the main ingredient and what makes the entire recipe what it is. I’m not sure where you saw that I said they are not, but “Coconut Butter” and “Coconut Cream Concentrate” are the same thing — coconut meat that has been ground up super fine like a nut butter. Coconut Cream Concentrate is a trademarked term from Tropical Traditions and what they call their Coconut Butter. It can get confusing, as some recipes call for “Coconut Cream” but those recipes are referring to the thick coconut milk that you get in a can. When you let that sit in the fridge, it will separate the cream from the water and the thick white “cream” is called “Coconut Cream”. Hope that clarifies.

Posted 01/16/14

8. Hello! Just found this website while looking for keto friendly recipes. I’m wondering if you have determined the nutritional values of these recipes or does it depend on the brand or ingredient substitution used? I realize the values would differ if deviations are made like adding dried fruit of nuts. Thanks so much! I look forward to further exploring new recipes! 🙂

D'Anne
    Posted 01/29/16

• Hi D’Anne – Thanks for stopping by! I do have a few keto friendly recipes on this site from the period of time when I was following a keto diet. I don’t really provide nutrition info on my recipes though since I now feel there is much more that goes into health than counting calories, fat, carbs, etc. When I was on keto, I was roughly calculating things out for myself, but I was never so strict that I had to count them to the exact amount. I can’t remember what these counted out at, but I think they were a couple of net grams of carbs each. If you do need to calculate them, there are a number of sites you could use. This one seems to be one of the most popular: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator. Hope that helps! Have a great day! 🙂

Posted 01/31/16

9. I made this exactly as stated and as soon as I added the lemon juice at the end it curdled and separated and would not go back together no matter how long I stirred it. What a waste of ingredients!

Erin
    Posted 04/09/16

• Hi Erin! Sorry the recipe didn’t work out for you. I have made this recipe SO many times and never had anything curdle. It sounds like you used dairy cream as that would curdle with the lemon juice. Did you use actual coconut cream concentrate (aka coconut butter) or something else? I am thinking maybe you used something else? That is the only way I could see something curdling. Coconut butter would not curdle, as it’s similar in consistency to a nut or seed butter. Hope that helps! Happy to help you troubleshoot if you would like! 🙂

Posted 04/11/16