Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe (Dairy and Non-Dairy Versions)

The Second Opinion Thyroid Summit

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe (dairy and dairy-free versions) | www.deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

This mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe is one of my all-time favorite desserts. I have always loved anything with mint. It is rich and creamy and making your own ice cream at home is so much better for you than the junk at the grocery store. Plus, I think it tastes about 1,000 times better! Once you have a good basic ice cream recipe, you really can create any flavor combination you want. Here is my version of this classic. I am offering a dairy and non-dairy version, both of which are delicious! The ice cream base is based on my recipe for kefir ice cream, which is just a good all-round ice cream recipe. For an extra special treat, you could top your mint chocolate chip ice cream with homemade magic shell (and get some coconut oil goodness). :)

PaleoTreats

You May Also Like These Related Posts:

1. This looks delicious. Have you tried adding chlorella – I use about 10 tiny tablets buzzed in my high-speed blender – to give your ice cream a greenish tinge without affecting that yummy mint the flavor?

Gopika
    Posted 02/18/13

• Hi Gopika – Thanks for stopping by! No, I haven’t tried that, but I will keep that in mind when I make some next! Fun!! :)

Posted 02/18/13

• Nice idea! :) I’ve used liquid chlorophyll to naturally dye sugar cookies to great success. I bet spirulina would work too! Can’t wait to try this recipe!!!

2. I’ve yet to try egg in ice cream, but keep meaning to. This looks so luxurious!

Alisa
    Posted 02/22/13

3. I could be challenging finding dairy free ice cream recipes. Thank you for posting both versions.

Ice Cream Magic
    Posted 03/07/13

4. Hi there. The current Food on Friday on Carole’s Chatter is collecting links to posts about ice cream and sorbets – or anything similar like gelato. I do hope you link this in. This is the link . Please do check out some of the other links – there are a lot of good ones already. Have a great week.

Carole
    Posted 03/07/13

5. you don’t mention in recipe for mint chocolate chip ice cream when to add the chocolate?

jane
    Posted 03/10/13

• Hi Jane – Thanks for pointing that out! I will make sure to add it! :)

Posted 03/12/13

6. I like to heat up the milk (usually coconut or almond) just so it gets hot but not boiling. Then I temper the egg yolks with a ladle full of the hot milk. I combine everything, let cool at room temperature, and then chill before adding to ice cream maker. It is pure, wonderful custard!!

Tara
    Posted 04/29/13

• Tara – Sounds delish! If you’re using store-bought eggs, I would definitely do it this way. I use pastured eggs from people I trust, so I don’t have an reservations about eating them raw. Frozen custard sounds wonderful though! :)

Posted 04/29/13

7. Thanks, Jessica. I only buy farm-raised eggs as well. I just noticed that the heating of all the ingredients makes the cream more like custard. Either way, it’s so amazing to make homemade ice cream with whatever you like! Nothing can compare.

Tara
    Posted 04/29/13

• I totally agree! It’s my favorite dessert! :)

Posted 04/30/13

8. I was wondering which mint extract you use. I have tried 3 different brands, but they all tasted more like toothpaste, than real minty.

Your ice cream looks delicious! Love that you added real mint leaves as well!

Katja @ Shift Ctrl Art
    Posted 05/28/13

• Hi Katja – I think the brand I used for this batch was the Simply Organic brand. I have enjoyed their flavorings and they have always seemed high quality to my taste buds :)

Posted 05/29/13

9. Could you use peppermint essential oil in place of the peppermint extract?

Michelle
    Posted 06/05/13

• Hi Michelle – Yep! You sure can! It probably would taste better actually — the peppermint flavor would be stronger.

Posted 06/06/13

10. We have a 3 quart ice cream maker. I am assuming this is for a smaller machine? We always add milk to the mix up to the halfway mark. Is there no added milk to this recipe?

Also, adding a funny video from my son as I am thinking about milk and eggs, here’s his spoof on Man vs Wild called Guy Vs Farm. Hope it gives you a smile today! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8B_3HszbBE

maris
    Posted 07/18/13

• Hi Maris – The machine that I have is a small machine – 1.5 quarts. There is no milk in this recipe. Just the cream — extra rich and decadent! :) That video was funny! It gave me a good chuckle and I appreciate you sharing! :)

Posted 07/19/13