Crispy Coconut Chicken Finger Nuggets with Tangy Balsamic Dip (Gluten and Grain Free)

Crispy Coconut Finger Nuggets with Tangy Balsamic Dip (Gluten and Grain Free) Follow Me on Pinterest

What the heck is a finger nugget you ask? Well, it’s those things in the picture above. When I made these the first time, I was in somewhat of a hurry, so I haphazardly cut my chicken breasts into pieces. I realized as I was cooking that they were a little too big to be called nuggets, but yet a tad too small to be called fingers. Finger nuggets was born. Silly story, I know. But, it’s fun to say! :)

These are SO tasty! The coconut flour and shredded coconut combo make almost a Panko-style breading. They fry up nicely and can be served in any number of ways. They taste great on salads, on sandwiches, or just as is. You could even make mini chicken parmigiana if you wanted! Try dipping them in your favorite sauce. Before I went dairy-free, ranch dressing was my favorite.

Need some help getting dinner on the table? I recommend these Grain-Free Meal Plans, perfect for GAPS, SCD, Paleo, Primal, and other restricted diets.

Grain-Free-Meal-Plans-by-Health-Home-and-Happiness-285x300

1. Sounds delicious! And I have all the ingredients ready to go. Do you fry them in 1/4 inch of oil or less?

Anne
    Posted 09/20/12

• I use my largest frying pan and there’s probably about a 1/2 inch of oil in there. They are tasty!! :)

Posted 09/20/12

2. My husband will love these! When we were first dating I would always tease him because everytime we would go out to eat, he would order chicken fingers! Thankfully, I’ve broadened his culinary tastes, but he would love for me to make these for him ;)

Kelly @ Primally Inspired
    Posted 11/10/12

• Hi Kelly – Thanks for stopping by! My hubby is a huge chicken tenders guy too. He loves these and I am happy that it is actually good for you! I hope your hubby likes them as well! Enjoy! :) P.S. I like your site! I am now following you on FB!

Posted 11/10/12

• Thank you Jessica!! :D I am still stalking your page and when I am done, I’m subscribing/liking/joining everything! You are so creative! I have a whole list of things I want to try ;)

Kelly @ Primally Inspired
        Posted 11/10/12

• Awww!!! Thank you!!! You just made my whole day! :) :)

Posted 11/10/12

3. Can you sub another oil to fry them in and do you think they would go well with a sweet plum sauce like you would dip coconut fried shrimp into to eat?

Linda
    Posted 12/31/12

• Hi Linda – You can certainly sub another oil for frying, but the reason I recommend palm shortening or coconut oil is because they both have high smoke points, which make them great for frying. I bet they would taste amazing with plum sauce — I LOVE plum sauce! :)

Posted 12/31/12

4. Can you use milk instead of coconut milk?

Mallory
    Posted 01/13/13

• Hi Mallory – Yep! Milk would work just fine! :)

Posted 01/13/13

5. Thought you should know. Please don’t support the palm oil industry and their atrocities. Coconut oil or olive is a much better choice! http://www.saynotopalmoil.com/

Karen
    Posted 02/17/13

• Hi Karen – Thank you for your concern, but the palm shortening that I use in my recipes comes from South America, NOT from the Indonesia and Malaysia areas where the deforestation and massive destruction of plants and animals is taking place. I only use Tropical Traditions palm shortening for this very reason. Also, I am very selective on the products that I use and promote and I do a lot of due diligence to ensure that a product is vetted before I ever promote it. I would never use or promote a product that was not eco-friendly and ethical. I appreciate your concern, but rest assured that I am not using products from those areas. :)

Posted 02/17/13

• Oh, good! I’ve never used palm oil, and only just found out about the sad practices of the Indonesian/Malaysian producers. I didn’t stop to think long enough that there would be other sources to get it from :) I love tropical traditions, and used their coconut oil to cook up this very recipe tonight. My husband, myself and by two little boys loved these! This recipe is going to be a keeper in our house.

Karen
        Posted 02/17/13

• Hi Karen – SO glad you liked them! They are a fave in our house too. We could probably eat them every night! :) :)

Posted 02/18/13

6. I made this recipe a couple of days ago. I think that next time I will bake them in the oven, as quite much of the “breading” stayed in the pan! (DH found it delicious, though)
    At which temperature would you recommend baking? And for our long?
    Thanks!

Mrs G
    Posted 07/13/13

• Hi Mrs. G – I’ve never baked these, but I would try 375 for 25-30 minutes. That’s a rough estimate and will depend on how thick the tenders are. Let me know how they turn out if you do bake them and I’ll update the recipe to include that option! :)

Posted 07/14/13