Help Your Thyroid by Limiting or Avoiding Goitrogenic Foods

Help Your Thyroid by Limiting or Avoiding Goitrogenic Foods // deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

Thyroid health is something that I am always looking for new information on. When it comes to thyroid health, it’s important to understand that we are all unique. As we are all finding out, what works for one person may not work for another. As you will read in the article below, I had to avoid goitrogenic foods for a period of time while I worked on healing my gut. I was able to reintroduce them and now have none of the side effects that I did before.

If you’re suffering from thyroid disease, then one of my favorite resources is the Thyroid Sessions from my trusted affiliate partner, Sean Croxton of Underground Wellness. This compilation of thyroid health information from leading health experts has changed the lives of thousands of people (myself included).

Learn more about the Thyroid Sessions today.

I also have a wide range of thyroid health posts on this site that are a great starting place for anyone with thyroid disease.

Read all of my thyroid health articles here.

~~~~~

My Personal Experience with Goitrogens

I think most people who suffer from thyroid disorders know about goitrogenic foods and how they can be bad for the thyroid. I know that it was one of the first things I learned when I was first diagnosed with hypothyroidism years ago.

I was always told that if you cooked these types of vegetables, then it wasn’t a big deal to eat them, as the cooking process neutralized the goitrogenic properties. While the cooking process does reduce these properties, it does not completely eliminate them, so if you’re one of the people who have noticeable reactions to these foods, then cooking may or may not improve that.

It’s strange, but once I started paying closer attention to my body, I began to notice a difference in how I felt when I consume foods like broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. Whenever I eat these foods (both fresh and cooked), I get this tense, tight feeling across my throat, like a constricting of the airways. It ranged from a slight sensation to something rather strong and uncomfortable.

For the longest time, I thought I was just imagining things, until I was talking to one of my friends about it and she said that that feeling is actually quite common. Another lesson that once we start paying attention to our bodies and listening to what it has to say, there will be certain cues that we’ll start noticing. It is our duty to pay attention to these cues.

Once I did start paying attention, it was obvious that my body was reacting to these foods. And, it was important that I take note of these reactions.

I began experimenting with goitrogenic foods. I tested both raw and cooked versions and then noted any effects after consuming them. The tightness / swelling persisted, so I made a decision to eliminate these foods from my diet for a time. The discomfort was not worth it.

Around the same time that I eliminated these foods, I started full force on healing my gut and getting my Hashimoto’s (which I had recently been diagnosed with) under control. While I know my gut is not completely healed, I do know I have made large strides in healing. You can read about my healing journey here.

After about a year of avoiding these foods, I decided to test them again and see what my reactions were.

Lo and behold, I had no reaction!

I was thrilled, as most of my favorite veggies are on the list below. I was careful to reintroduce them slowly and pay attention to any symptoms, but it’s been a year or so now and things are great. I eat a lot of these veggies every week (both raw and cooked) and do not experience that same tightness I did before.

The key here is that we are all different.

What works for me may not work for you and vice versa.

While I have spoken to many people who experienced the same reactions I did, there are others who have thyroid conditions who never had any of these issues. I advise experimenting, like I did, and see what you find.

Considering how many vegetables are on this list, it would be a shame to eliminate them if you don’t have any reactions. But, for those who do have reactions, eliminating them, even for a short period of time, can make life a lot more comfortable!

IMPORTANT NOTE: I have received a lot of comments and emails about how everyone needs to supplement iodine, especially those with thyroid conditions. While we do all need iodine, supplementation can be tricky and sometimes dangerous. I strongly encourage you to work with a naturopath or other practitioner who is familiar with supplementing iodine and can help you supplement correctly. If you do supplement with iodine, there are other minerals you need to add to your regime in order to keep your body in balance.

Also, for people with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis (like myself), supplementing iodine is NOT advised, as it can cause your thyroid to burn out faster. Chris Kresser, one of my favorite alternative practitioners, has a fantastic series of posts that I encourage anyone suffering from thyroid disorders to read:

Now, let’s take a look at goitrogens.

What are Goitronenic Foods?

According to Wikipedia:

Goitrogens are substances that suppress the function of the thyroid gland by interfering with iodine uptake, which can, as a result, cause an enlargement of the thyroid, i.e., a goitre.

Yeah. I’m already freaked out enough about an enlargement of my thyroid gland (which I do already have have), and I certainly don’t want it to get any bigger. I am constantly asking my hubby if he can visually see an enlargement. He assures me he can’t.

See, I told you I was neurotic!

Anyways, when I started avoiding goitrogenic foods, I was doing a lot of research and as I was perusing Dr. Sara Gottfried’s site, I came across her list of thyroid-suppressing foods and there were some that I didn’t know about! Pears, peaches, and strawberries? GAH! Most of these I can do away with no problem. But some of them make me very sad.

According to Dr. Sara, here’s the foods we should avoid or minimize, especially in their raw form, if we are suffering from thyroid issues:

• Caffeine
  • Soybeans (and soybean products such as tofu, soybean oil, soy flour, soy lecithin)
  • Pine nuts
  • Canola
  • Cauliflower
  • Chinese cabbage
  • Choy sum
  • Collard greens
  • Horseradish
  • Kai-lan (Chinese broccoli)
  • Kale
  • Kohlrabi
  • Mizuna
  • Mustard greens
  • Radishes  :(
  • Rapeseed (yu choy)
  • Rapini
  • Rutabagas
  • Tatsoi
  • Turnips

Like I mentioned above, I experimented with these foods and after a period of eliminating them and focusing on healing my gut health, I no longer have the issues I was having before.  I had also done research on fermenting these veggies to see if that made a difference and I found this article stating that fermenting actually increases the goitrogens in certain vegetables.

For those of you who don’t suffer from any thyroid problems, eat up! Here are two of my favorite lactofermented vegetables:

For those of you who do suffer from thyroid problems, experiment! See what works for you, what your body tolerates, and take time to really pay attention to any reactions you may have. They may be small, they may be big. We’re all different.

If you’re looking for more info on how to heal your thyroid through alternative methods, I highly recommend the upcoming Thyroid Sessions Online Summit (affiliate link). It launches May 4th and will provide you with all of the information your doctor didn’t tell you about your thyroid problems.  The hand-picked team of functional medical doctors, naturopaths, nutritionists, and health experts reveal how you can regain your energy, lose excess body fat, and heal your thyroid NATURALLY through real food, lifestyle changes, and getting the lab testing you need. Learn more and register for free here. I’ll be watching daily and I hope you’ll take advantage of the free information as well.

What are your feelings on goitrogenic foods? Anything on this list surprise you? Do you avoid these foods altogether? Have you noticed a difference in how you feel with eliminating these foods? How about when you eat them? Do you notice a difference in how you feel? Leave a comment below!

1. I don’t notice a difference when I eat from that list of foods. I do have a goiter though, and had a bout with hypothyroidism (Hashimoto’s). My doctor wanted to yank out my thyroid, but I refused. I had to cut out gluten though and it seems to have calmed down since then. I usually avoid the cabbage family foods in the list, but not always. I have some millet flour for baking gluten free foods, but haven’t used it yet.

Laurel
    Posted 08/23/12

• Google-Dr. David Brownstein and check out all his info about the Thyroid. our thyroids NEED Iodine! He has a lot of Good info.

Christine Waterbury
      Posted 03/04/14

• Yes, they do, except in the case of people with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. In those cases, iodine supplementation can actually create worse problems. I love Dr. Brownstein, btw, and follow his work closely! I wish he could be my doctor! :)

Posted 03/04/14

2. what!!!!! fermenting increases the goitrogens…..my beloved cauliflower??? No!!! And my pears???? Hmmm, now I need to go study….I have been low thyroid for 33 years (diagnosed…..I know I was low for several years before that). The past year and half it has come back with the help of discovering coconut oil and grass fed meats and very little grain. I never had a goiter though. I will have to see if I can feel a difference when I eat them. :(

Sherry M
    Posted 08/23/12

• I feel the same way Sherry. That was new information that was shared with me by a couple of people recently. I could live on that Indian Spiced Cauliflower. It is SO good! But, alas, I am skipping all ferments that involve those foods, which means sauerkraut too, which I love. Sigh. :(

Posted 08/23/12

3. GREAT POST! I have noticed a lot of sensitivity to these foods, and my mother has as well. Grapefruit could be added to the above list. However, she has been juicing and drinking raw lemon juice (1-2 lemons daily) and just this morning was talking about how eating broccoli and cabbage were no longer an issue for her since starting on lemon juice. Lemons have an incredible amount of iodine in them and are a great support to thyroid glands. I had Graves disease, then radioactive iodine treatment which completely wiped out my thyroid, rendering it non-functioning, but it has been healed/restored and I’m no longer on thyroid meds. My adrenal glands are low though – so noticing thyroid is low again trying to compensate. But again, evidently it’s lemons to the rescue for adrenals as well! Good thing I like lemonade with stevia!

Kecia
    Posted 08/23/12

• Interesting about the lemons! I’ve never heard that before! That’s good to know — I drink warm water with lemon and sea salt in the morning as a gentle liver cleanse. I also sip on lemon water throughout the day! Thanks for sharing your story! I learn something new and exciting every day! :)

Posted 08/23/12

• Lemons??? so you mean to tell me that i cannot juice up on lemon anymore because i have goiter? i have been using lemon as sauce for every food i eat ever since i was a kid…sooo sad…but is it really true about lemons????
        i cannot believe it…especially since its not on the list..pls tell me its not true! :(

lida
        Posted 08/09/13

• Hi Lida,

Have no fear, I think you misread the comment! Kecia is saying lemons are GOOD for the thyroid and adrenals. I use lemons daily and have for years with no problems!

Enjoy your lemons! :)

Posted 08/09/13

• How did you ever “restore” your thyroid?!?! I had to have mine removed when i was 17 due to an extremely overactive thyroid, removed the same way with radioactive iodine, and i have battled that now for 12 years. Unlike you ladies i didnt do a lot of research as i was 17 and didnt care. I am on 300mcg daily of levothyroxin. I never worried about the foods i ate until recently when my 7 year old started suffering from chronic migraines, i decided to research food intolerances and began to really admire gluten free because i was suffering from many of the common symptoms and i feel my son is as well. if there is any way to get my thyroid back on track i would love to try it!!!!

amy
      Posted 09/05/12

4. I have hypothyroidism. I do not test for antibodies for Hashimoto’s, but that does not mean I have never had a round or two with it.
    I talked to my naturopath about this because I literally live on broccoli, kale, spinach, cauliflower – I do not eat soy, rapeseed, etc… because those have more implications than just thyroid issues. My naturopath said it was okay (I do cook them) because the benefits outweigh the risks. Now I do take armor thyroid.
    I have never noticed a difference in my health, the way it feels around my throat when I eat them. Actually when this all went down is after the birth of my daughter, when I ate like, well… crap. My diet was horrible. I have since adopted the paleo lifestyle, but do watch the saturated fat from animal intake… but it has made a world of difference!

Beth
    Posted 08/23/12

• Thanks for stopping by and sharing your story Beth! We all react differently to certain foods. Because I can tell a noticeable effect of eating these foods, I’m skipping until we get the thyroid issues sorted out. I have also shifted to more of a Paleo/Primal plan and it is working great for me. I am feeling a lot better having gotten rid of the sugar, grains, legumes, and dairy.

Posted 08/23/12

5. Jessica – I’m curious what your go-to veggies are if you don’t mind sharing?

erica
    Posted 08/23/12

• Hi Erica – I know, it seems like nothing’s left, huh? I eat yellow squash, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, different lettuces, green beans, snap peas, carrots, beets, celery, artichokes (when I can find them fresh), avocado, asparagus … I know some of those are technically fruits. I try to eat what I can locally and in season. I am eating a little bit of cooked spinach and a little chard, because those two never have affected me that way cabbage, broccoli, etc. did. Technically, I think they are considered goitrogens as well. So far, I don’t seem to have a nightshade allergy, but we’ll see.

Posted 08/23/12

• Hi! im relieved to know that all types of lettuces are not goitrogenic foods! they are my favorite! i avoided them when i learned that cabbage is goitrogenic. I thought they belonged to the same family..yes! i can eat lettuces as much as i want to now!!! thanks!!!

lida
        Posted 08/09/13

6. The most important foods/food group was left off the list: gluten. The gluten protein (gliadin) is nearly identical to the anti thyroid antibodies that those of us with Autoimmune Thyroid Disease (Hashimotos Thyroiditis) produce. One bite of wheat, barley or rye will cause thryoid swelling that can take days to reduce.

Jill Davies
    Posted 08/23/12

• Jill – You are absolutely right. I am personally gluten-free, but I just never attributed gluten to the goitrogenic foods list. It’s not on the “standard” list, which is what that list is based on. I personally experience the same feeling after consuming gluten, that I do after consuming cabbage, etc. It is critical to remove all gluten from your diet if you have Hashimoto’s. That is the first step in treating that disease. Thanks for stopping by!

Posted 08/23/12

7. Jessica, I can’t have any type of meat because I have Papillary Thyroid Cancer, so are beans bad too? I refused the surgery and radiation and are doing quiet well on my own thru changeing my diet. What other foods could help my thyroid return to normal? I avoid all sugars,meats,most grains, only 1% GF. Could I speak to you personally about my current situation? It will be 6 mo. since my diagnosis in early March of this year. Right now I am also takeing 100mg. of Iodine suggested by Dr. Brownstein. (I did not know that about lemons). Are the foods you mentioned to avoid all Organic or do they cause problems because of GMO’s? I know that an intolerance to Gluten is a precurser to thyroid problems. Thank You for your advice.

Christine
    Posted 08/23/12

• Hi Christine – Thank you for stopping by and sharing your story! It’s amazing what diet changes can do, though sometimes we all need help in other areas too. I, unfortunately, can’t give you any type of medical advice about your situation. I would encourage you to speak to your doctor about those specific concerns and see what they say. You might also look into visiting with a naturopathic doctor (if you haven’t already), because they tend to be more focused on diet and nutrition than Western medicine docs. There is also a chance that other readers could offer you advice too, as they leave comments. The foods on this list all contain goitrogens, whether they are organic or conventional. Though, GMOs present a whole new set of problems too. You are more than welcome to email me if you’d like. I am happy to share stories, but I just can’t advise you medically. I hope you understand :( If you do want to contact me, you can email me here: http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/contact/. I hope that helps!

Posted 08/23/12

8. Hi- I’ve been reading up on oxalates, too. Seems like some of these veggies also are high in oxalates, especially spinach. I’m wondering if you’ve ever looked into eating low oxalate too?
    Thanks,
    Vicki

Vicki DiIoia
    Posted 08/23/12

• Hi Vicki – Oxalates are definitely a problem for a lot of people. It is something that I am currently researching. Thanks for stopping by!

Posted 08/23/12

9. I have Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, also, and I don’t have a problem with any of these foods, either. I DID have a goiter (30 years ago when I was diagnosed) but no longer. I take natural thyroid. I only have problems when I eat sugar, wheat or dairy!! Spinach causes GI Problems for me, occasionally, but none of the other foods listed cause problems. I eat lemons (in ACV drinks) everyday! :)

Vivian
    Posted 08/23/12

• Thanks for stopping by Vivian and sharing your experiences. Everyone reacts different to certain foods! Glad to hear none on this list are problems for you! :) ACV is awesome stuff, huh? :)

Posted 08/23/12

• Hi vivian! im just curious on how your goiter was healed…were you operated or it just shrunk? i have goiter now and im not into the idea of having it operated. i hope you can share your experience…:)

lida
        Posted 08/09/13

10. I have a nodule on my thyroid and the doctor wanted to cut my thyroid out. I said No Way! I have been changing my diet but didn’t realize there was so many veggies I shouldn’t be eating. I love most of the veggies on the list but I am willing to give them up. :(
    What foods help heal the thyroid?

Jill
    Posted 09/05/12

• Hi Jill – I think when it comes to eating these veggies, you need to go on how you feel when you eat them. Since I experience a noticeable reaction to these veggies, I try to steer clear or limit them greatly. I agree — most of my favorites are on that list. :( Each one of us is different, so it comes down to figuring out what works best. When it comes to thyroid disorders, eliminating gluten is often one of the best things you can do. Dairy can also contribute. Coconut oil is also great for the thyroid: http://coconutoil.com/coconut-oil-benefits-for-thyroid-health/

Posted 09/05/12

11. Hi. I’m now beginning my journey of healthful eating at age 44, so I can’t give any great information about my life experiences. Jessica keeps saying that different foods affect different people differently. And I just have to share my excitement… I’m reading my brand new book, The Plan, by Lyn-Genet Recitas. It goes right along with what Jessica says. Lyn-Genet says that foods react in each of us differently, with our own unique chemistry. Early on she talks about the thyroid and I believe mine is probably under active, based on how she says to test it. Then she lists ways to improve thyroid health. I found this blog by looking up goitrogen foods, which I’ve never heard of. Anyway, from the comments I’ve read here it seems like what Lyn-Genet writes makes sense and goes right along with some of these comments. She says we need to eliminate “reactive” foods from our diet because they cause inflammation, which leads to weight gain and diseases. Oh yes, I’m also very interested in getting wheat out of my family’s diet. Another brand new book I bought but haven’t read yet, Wheat Belly, by Dr. William Davis.
    Love your blog Jessica!
    LeAnne

LeAnne
    Posted 01/27/13

• Hi LeAnne – Thanks so much for stopping by and thank you for the kind words! I really appreciate the feedback! Yes, we all react to different foods in different ways. I normally have noticeable reactions to raw goitrogenic veggies, however recently, I ate some raw cabbage and it didn’t bother me. I think our food sensitivities also change over time too and what we once my have reacted to in the past, we might not react to in the future (and vice versa sadly). Thanks again! :)

Posted 01/27/13

12. I have hypothyroidsm, i have already cut out gluten, soy, sugar cane, and dairy.. i am vegan
    but now learning this, i am wondering WHAT CAN I EAT.. since i do not eat meat ontop of all of these things, i found out you also cannot eat peanuts and pine nuts</3
    im really lost at what i can eat aside from rice, avacados, apples, certai stir fry, spaghetti, pancakess

sen
    Posted 02/26/13

• Hi Sen – The best thing to do is to see how these foods affect you. I used to have a noticeable reaction to many of the items on this list, but I have had some people say they don’t. Also, some doctors will tell you that they think the benefits of these veggies outweigh the risk. It all comes down to how you feel when you eat them. Cutting out gluten, soy, and sugar is good and that should really help. Have you ever had the tests run to see if you have an autoimmune thyroid disease (like Hashimoto’s or Grave’s)? That was a big help for me, because it made me realize that I didn’t really have a thyroid problem, I had an autoimmune problem. Now that I’ve started addressing the immune system, I am finding that I can tolerate some of these veggies, like cabbage and broccoli, better than I used to be able to. Hopefully that helps a little. If there is anything I’ve realized, there is a lot of trial and error when it comes to healing our bodies naturally. We just have to try something and see if it works! :)

Posted 02/27/13

13. I agree for eating what works for you. Hypothyroid for 13 years, L side removed and 2 small tumors on my remaining past 5 years. The tumors have reduced by half since discovered. I use only good oils per Weston Price, only pastured meat, eggs and dairy. I eat all vegetables just seasonally which helps limit and all the dirty dozen organic. We grow many herbs, veggies and some fruits and eat as local as possible. I’ve felt much better with the passing years after we changed our diet starting 7-8 years ago. It’s really helped with weight control too and helped all my other hypothyroid symptoms.

RobinAKAGoatMom
    Posted 04/05/13

• Happy to hear of your success! Thanks for stopping by!

Posted 04/06/13

14. I have Hashimoto’s and low thyroid levels. I have also had years of Fibro type pain all across my shoulders every day for years……..about 10 days ago I stopped eating cooked goitrogenic vegies, cauli, spinach, broccoli and my pain significantly reduced. Tonight I ate two small pieces of cooked broccoli and my stiffness/pain is back! So ….all the stuff I read says if goitrogens are cooked they are fine…..but for me, they definately lower my throid levels and cause problems…..I know they are cancer fighting – but when you have been in chronic pain everyday for years…I think i would rather have a few years of being painfree and take the risk about cancer.

lisa
    Posted 09/07/13

15. Also I definately can’t eat raw goitrogens like peaches and pears without getting significantly more fatigues and raw spinach in smoothies gives me a swollen thyroid/throat.

lisa
    Posted 09/07/13

16. ps …I am trying to stick to AIP, Auto Immune Paleo diet….but with no goitrogens and no nightshades….I tried tomato and def had reaction….I have been eating a bit of potato though and seem okay with that.

lisa
    Posted 09/07/13

• Hi Lisa – It definitely varies from person to person. I have found that as I have gotten my Hashi’s more under control, the goitrogenic veggies do not affect me as much.

Posted 09/08/13

17. I don’t believe this list what am I gonna do…….crying right now

Cheryl
    Posted 09/10/13

• Hi Cheryl – Don’t cry! There are lots of fruits and veggies out there. Also, keep in mind that everyone is different, so you just have to experiment and find what works for you! Keep your head up! :)

Posted 09/12/13

18. How are you affected if you had your thyroid removed and are on thyroid meds?Would goitrogenic food impair the absorbsion of these meds?

barbara robbins
    Posted 09/17/13

• Hi Barbara – It is my understanding that goitrogens won’t affect you if your thyroid has been removed or is no longer working. I just read that somewhere in the last week and I think I bookmarked it. I need to dig it up and I’ll post it.

Posted 09/18/13

• Thank you so much.

barbara robbins
        Posted 09/22/13

19. I am hyper thyroid, and over the years, I can control my symptoms by strictly avoiding millet, peanuts, soy, gluten,canola and corn. I have cut back on the cabbage family veggies and other goitergens, but not completely. Moderation and cooking are the keys for me. Since I am a vegan, that takes a big chunk out of the choices for me, but it is worth it.

Linda
    Posted 11/03/13

• Thanks for stopping by and sharing your experience! :)

Posted 11/03/13

20. Hi Jessica, Thank u so much for the info. I would like to know, since my TSH T3 T4 all came back normal still my right thyroid is swollen(the swollen part is visible outside my neck). My doctor told me to go for a biopsy which I don’t want to. I don’t know what to tell my doctor. Can you please help me with this. And also, I’m a vegetarian & wheat is the major food part in my life since I’m diabetic(type 2). Can you please help me in choosing the gluten free bread & other gluten free foods (I’m from India, staying in USA). I also suffered with kidney stones last year, but no problems with that now. I guess, I got my swelling because of drinking lot of barley liquid last year for my kidney stones, as I know, barley contains gluten. I really don’t want to go for any kind of surgeries which my doctor will suggest. I have an apptmt with my doctor dec, another ultrasound. So, I’m just worried about that.

Shridevi
    Posted 11/25/13

• Hi Shridevi – Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I can’t give you any medical advice, so I would suggest speaking with your doctor, or maybe finding a certified nutritionist or a naturopathic doctor, if you are not happy with your current MD. Hope that helps! :)

Posted 11/26/13

21. Hi Jessica,

I have had my thyroid radioactively removed 13 years ago. I am 2 years gluten free and about 1 year dairy and eggs free. I frequently experience burning inside my throat. Do you have any advice on how to stop this or experience with this?

Laura
    Posted 12/30/13

• Hi Laura – I’d recommend consulting with your physician, as I can’t give you any medical advice due to FDA and FTC laws. Sorry!

Posted 12/31/13

22. Does this apply to an under active thyroid?

Jenny
    Posted 03/04/14

• Hi Jenny – Yes, it applies primarily to underactive thyroid conditions. Keep in mind that everyone is different and I strongly encourage people to do their own testing and see how their bodies react. Like I mention in the post, I had to remove these foods for a period of time, but after awhile I was able to re-introduce them without any negative side effects again.

Posted 03/04/14

23. I read the list and I totally ditto the unhappy face emoticions behind each vegetable or fruit that I have to eliminate from my diet. I truly feel like, “well, now what am I supposed to eat?”. The majority of the foods on that list are staples in my diet, but since Thyroid is not well, I must and will change accordingly.

I encourage myself by staying focused on what I can eat and the health that I’ll gain when I comply, as opposed to what I am losing. That helps me. I hope it will hope others too.

Kourtney
    Posted 03/18/14

• Hi Kourtney – I would definitely recommend trying to eliminate them for awhile and see how you feel. Then you could try reintroducing them like I did. I no longer have any reaction to these foods after leaving them out for such a long period. Sometimes the healing journey can be so frustrating. I totally feel you on that! :) But, in the end, it will be worth it!

Posted 03/18/14

24. Hello,
    I just read this list on Wiki, but it also had Flax see in it!! Have you heard of that one??? Does anyone know if that is true?

Tina
    Posted 03/21/14

• I think I saw a list a long time ago that had flax on it, but flax is not included in any of the ones I’ve seen recently. Each person’s sensitivities are going to vary, so some may be sensitive to flax and others are not.

Posted 03/22/14

25. Oops…forgot to ask about info on other nuts like pecans and walnuts, but especially almonds and almond butter!!! And even cocoa. I make homemade chocolate with coconut oil and cocoa and stevia. Do you think that the raw cocoa with it’s natural caffeine in it could be an issue?

Tina
    Posted 03/21/14

• Hi Tina – Each person is going to be unique. You will just need to experiment with what works for you. I cannot tolerate cocoa at all anymore. I get a migraine if I eat chocolate in any form, but of course, not everyone is like me. :)

Posted 03/22/14

26. Hi Jessica,

I’ve followed your site for a while because of your great recipes and info, but also now I have just found out I have hypothyroidism (no surprise). I’m not showing up antibodies so I’m assuming it’s not Hashis. My question is, do you have experience with Whole Thyroid Extract (porcine source)? My doctor (who is integrative in many ways, and works a lot with bio identical hormones) is putting me on it, but I haven’t been able to find anyone’s account of their experience with it. I know it’s not the same as standard medicated treatments but my concern is that it may stuff me up in other ways. Your thoughts or anyone else’s are most welcome! Thanks you (:

Kahu
    Posted 09/14/14

• Hi Kahu – First off, congrats on having a doctor who takes a holistic approach! SO hard to find nowadays! I don’t have any personal experience with the desiccated thyroid products. I have considered trying a desiccated product, but I avoid pork and it can be tricky to find bovine and ovine varieties of desiccated. Also, I have read on various forums that I have participated in that people with Hashi’s (like me) often don’t respond well to the glandular products. They can actually make symptoms worse. It is my understanding that if the labs don’t reflect antibodies, then Hashi’s is not present. Most people I have discussed this with say that since we are all unique, it’s best to just experiment with products and see what works for our individual needs. Some do well with the glandulars, some don’t. Best of luck in your healing journey! :)

Posted 09/15/14